Transmission Removal

neelskit

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Does anyone have a procedure for removing the transmission on a 2005 Envoy 4X4? A shop is going to do the rebuild. Thanks in advance!

George

Dec 8, 2011
use the search button chilton manual :thumbsup:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
So you're pulling and reinstalling the trans yourself, and having a shop rebuild the guts, correct?

It would probably be worth your while to get a Haynes or Chilton's manual. Only like 15 bucks or something like that.

At any rate, I may be able to jot down the info from my Haynes for you in a little while.

neelskit

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Sparky said:
So you're pulling and reinstalling the trans yourself, and having a shop rebuild the guts, correct?

It would probably be worth your while to get a Haynes or Chilton's manual. Only like 15 bucks or something like that.

At any rate, I may be able to jot down the info from my Haynes for you in a little while.

Yes, a shop is doing the rebuild.

I am not the one doing the removal- I have a friend who is doing a favor for his brother-in-law to save him some $ on labor. He recently removed the transmission from his Silverado to have it rebuilt and thought the Envoy would be similar enough. He has followed the procedure in the Haynes manual, but can't get the bell housing to break loose from the engine. He asked me for advice because I do most of the work on my TB, however (knock on wood) I have never had to touch the transmission on my truck.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Just grab the free manuals from here. Check my sig.

As for the bellhousing, there is an insane number of bolts on these things (9 or 11, I can't remember). Be sure to get them all.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I just wanted to throw this out just in case it was overlooked, did you remove the bolts for the torque converter to the flywheel?

Also, isnt there one bolt on the top center that's recessed? Not sure....been awhile.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
No recessed bolts but the engine and transmission have to be lowered to allow enough room to get at the top ones. Really tight space there. And I just checked the manual, there re 11 bolts. 7 on the engine block and 4 in the oil pan.

neelskit

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Update:

He had all the bolts removed- the bell housing was fused to the block. After some "persuasion," the transmission has been removed.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Congrats. Could have been the locating dowels. They're usually a slip tight fit and corrosion could have made them hold on a bit more.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online