Transmission removal question

caudillo

Original poster
Dec 8, 2013
I'm removing the transmission on my 2004 Trailblazer ext 2wd 4.2 and I cannot separate from the engine, somebody know if I need to remove this stud?
This video show what I talking about
GM 4.2 Starter - YouTube

Attachments

• tornillo.jpg
    tornillo.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 29

dfc739

Jul 29, 2012
Des Moines, IA
No, you shouldn't need to remove that.

Where are you at in the removal? How many bellhousing bolts did you remove? There should be 11- the two on top are the hardest to get to without about three feet of extensions. Did you remove the torque converter to flex plate bolts? They shouldn't hold them together, but it will destroy the flexplate if you leave the torque converter attached.

caudillo

Original poster
Dec 8, 2013
Yes, you're right. Last weekend finally separate the transmission from the engine and I did realize it wasn't necessary to remove the starter, anyway I put it back after remove the transmission. Thanks for your answer

caudillo

Original poster
Dec 8, 2013
Now I'm looking for a replace transmission for my trailblazer, somebody told me that any 4L60E from 1998 to 2006 it'll fit if I change the bell housing, I was ready to buy one from a camaro 99 when I notice the input shaft is different. Somebody know what transmission I may use? I have the tool for change the bell housing.

caudillo

Original poster
Dec 8, 2013
I got a transmission from a 2003 trailblazer 4x2 also, mine trailblazer is 2004, both looks the same, is any difference? because when I was looking on ebay or other places they said is not compatible the 2003 with the 2004.

dfc739

Jul 29, 2012
Des Moines, IA
caudillo said:
I got a transmission from a 2003 trailblazer 4x2 also, mine trailblazer is 2004, both looks the same, is any difference? because when I was looking on ebay or other places they said is not compatible the 2003 with the 2004.

The most obvious difference will be the manual lever position/neutral safety switch. Early 2003 and before transmissions had two electrical connectors. Mid 2003 and after transmissions have one connector. Compare these:

4L60E 4L80E Neutral start switch 4L60E transmission MLP
4L60E 4L80E transmission (MLP) manual lever position switch 24229422 neutral start switch

I think the output shafts are also different whether you have 4WD or not. So you can't put a 2WD transmission in a 4WD vehicle unless you change the output shaft.

bags529

Dec 25, 2013
You must match a 4x4 with the same the shafts are different. If you have time rather than used since the old one is out have it rebuilt , shouldn't be that bad since you pulled it.

Nothing worse than putting a used one in and having problems.. ask me how I know... I just did this but after my first mishap many years ago I decided to learn how to rebuild and have done 5 of them including the one in in the TB that I just gave to my son.

Just my 2 cents.

caudillo

Original poster
Dec 8, 2013
bags529 said:
You must match a 4x4 with the same the shafts are different. If you have time rather than used since the old one is out have it rebuilt , shouldn't be that bad since you pulled it.

Nothing worse than putting a used one in and having problems.. ask me how I know... I just did this but after my first mishap many years ago I decided to learn how to rebuild and have done 5 of them including the one in in the TB that I just gave to my son.

Just my 2 cents.
Do you need any special tools for reassembly a rebuild transmission? Because on this video around 24:30 he used a special tool.

Transmission Repair - GM 4L60-E Transmission Re-Assembly (Rebuild) - YouTube

caudillo

Original poster
Dec 8, 2013
dfc739 said:
The most obvious difference will be the manual lever position/neutral safety switch. Early 2003 and before transmissions had two electrical connectors. Mid 2003 and after transmissions have one connector. Compare these:

4L60E 4L80E Neutral start switch 4L60E transmission MLP
4L60E 4L80E transmission (MLP) manual lever position switch 24229422 neutral start switch

I think the output shafts are also different whether you have 4WD or not. So you can't put a 2WD transmission in a 4WD vehicle unless you change the output shaft.

I took the lever position switch from my transmission and put on the 2003

Attachments

• different.jpg
    different.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 9

bags529

Dec 25, 2013
caudillo said:
Do you need any special tools for reassembly a rebuild transmission? Because on this video around 24:30 he used a special tool.

Transmission Repair - GM 4L60-E Transmission Re-Assembly (Rebuild) - YouTube

Then only tool I was unable to make were the for bearings, those after inspected have been changed out at a local shop, I've only had to replace 3 over the times.

Seal resizer, spring compressors, pump bands were all house made.

I wanted to learn how and did, however if you pull your trans your self and have a shop do a bench build you can save yourself some cash... that was my main point... I just got burnt once on a used.. nothing worse than thinking your done and you just burnt 8 hours.

PS I have only ever done 4l60e's and have never put my self on a deadline.

I'm a chef by trade, but I can do just about anything to a car/truck.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
bags529 said:
Then only tool I was unable to make were the for bearings, those after inspected have been changed out at a local shop, I've only had to replace 3 over the times.

Seal resizer, spring compressors, pump bands were all house made.

I'm intrigued, did you fabricate the tools as a cheaper alternative to buying those ridiculously-expensive "J-xxxxx" tools from Kent Moore that the shop manuals list?

bags529

Dec 25, 2013
IllogicTC said:
I'm intrigued, did you fabricate the tools as a cheaper alternative to buying those ridiculously-expensive "J-xxxxx" tools from Kent Moore that the shop manuals list?

Pump alignment tool was a strap ratchet, low reverse was out of all thread and 1" stock and the 3/4 springs were two 12" c-clamps..
The rest is snap rings and a manual I Torrented off pirate bay... and lots of zip lock bags.... first time took me 2. Days, I can get on broken down and back in a day now..

4 kids driving keeps you busy these days.

Texan

Jan 14, 2014
bags529 said:
Pump alignment tool was a strap ratchet, low reverse was out of all thread and 1" stock and the 3/4 springs were two 12" c-clamps..
The rest is snap rings and a manual I Torrented off pirate bay... and lots of zip lock bags.... first time took me 2. Days, I can get on broken down and back in a day now..

4 kids driving keeps you busy these days.

I am a retired engineer, but long time shade tree mechanic. For some reason that I can not explain
to my family, I have been interested in automobiles since I was 6 years old. Over the years I have
maintained and repaired various family/friends cars as a hobby. It kept me out of trouble.
I rebuilt a Turbo350 in a 74 Camaro, a 700R4 in a 84 Chevy SW. Mainly replaced the clutch plates.
My last major project was a clutch and slave cylinder on a 97 S10 4 speed PU for my nephew, but
he did the hard part.

caudillo

Original poster
Dec 8, 2013
Today I finished installing the transmission, removing the pan, putting on a new filter, and new oil and bingo! works fine. I got this transmission from pull a part, and you never know if the transmission works until it is installed. But this time I got lucky for a very cheap price.

Attachments

• ticket.jpg
    ticket.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 25

bags529

Dec 25, 2013
caudillo said:
Today I finished installing the transmission, removing the pan, putting on a new filter, and new oil and bingo! works fine. I got this transmission from pull a part, and you never know if the transmission works until it is installed. But this time I got lucky for a very cheap price.

Glad things worked out, and that's cheap as hell from the yard..

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06_4.2_4x4_ls