NEED HELP Transmission problems

matty8412

Original poster
Jun 27, 2019
Canada
I have a 2006 trailblazer ext with the 4.2i6. I just recently got it back on the road last month due to the tcase delt destructing. Now after being happy for a month driving her like a granny, the tranny has failed me. Will shift from.1st to 2nd but when the rpms get up to 1500rpm it wont shift into 3rd. Does anybody have any possible good news like maybe a shift solenoid that need to be changed? Or am I hooped and need a rebuild? I hope it's not a complete rebuild. I just spent lots of money getting the tcase replaced. Thanks in advance

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Moved to proper section.

Fluid level and condition good? When was it last serviced? Does it do it all the time or just when warm or cold? Does it flare/slip when it shifts into 3rd or it just won't shift up? Does it eventually shift to 4th? If you drop the pan, find any bits of metal in there?

I just recently added a video to the FAQ that might explain this issue:

Video: Common 4L60E failures

A shift kit might fix this if one of the pistons failed or a check ball punched through the separator plate. @Sparky is our resident SME on the kit. It's also possible that the clutches are burnt.

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
I'd say to follow mossemans advise here and go through the checklist before taking it to a shop. It is very easy for a shop to tell you that you need a whole rebuild and charge "top-dollar" for one. Meanwhile, they may simply replace a solenoid or something simple like that ~and send you on your way saying that it was completely rebuilt.

Reactions: matty8412

matty8412

Original poster
Jun 27, 2019
Canada
I have a 2006 trailblazer ext with the 4.2i6. I just recently got it back on the road last month due to the tcase delt destructing. Now after being happy for a month driving her like a granny, the tranny has failed me. Will shift from.1st to 2nd but when the rpms get up to 1500rpm it wont shift into 3rd. Does anybody have any possible good news like maybe a shift solenoid that need to be changed? Or am I hooped and need a rebuild? I hope it's not a complete rebuild. I just spent lots of money getting the tcase replaced. Thanks in advance
So it just wont shift into 3rd gear at all. I tried taking my foot off the gas and then tap the pedal as someone told me to try doing. I got this tb in january and had replaced all the fluids with gm specified fluids and oils. When I dropped the pan in the summer I inspected the pan for any metal shards and found none. I do know that when we bought the tb, that it had a trailer brake set up installed already. I just hope the previous owner didn't haul anything too heavy. I for one dont have any trailer or have not pulled anything with it since I bought it.
Would there be a code thrown or a service light that would come on if there was problems with the tranny?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Not if it's a mechanical issue or something it can't detect. If the PO was hauling a trailer heavy enough to have electric brakes and not have an auxiliary cooler, it might have overheated. I'd get opinions from some tranny shops for estimates at this point.

Reactions: matty8412

matty8412

Original poster
Jun 27, 2019
Canada
Not if it's a mechanical issue or something it can't detect. If the PO was hauling a trailer heavy enough to have electric brakes and not have an auxiliary cooler, it might have overheated. I'd get opinions from some tranny shops for estimates at this point.
Ok thanks mooseman. You're insight and help is always much appreciated

matty8412

Original poster
Jun 27, 2019
Canada
Ok thanks mooseman. You're insight and help is always much appreciated
I'm gonna have my hutterite guys come check it out. Im hoping that it is just a shift solenoid. I will put my tb up on our hoist and have the hutterites hook up their scanner after I drop the pan. See if it clicks when overriding it from the scanner

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online

No members online now.