Transmission problems on gmc envoy

JAVINDRA

Original poster
May 27, 2018
brampton ontario canada
Hi all I have a 03 gmc envoy xl SLE 6 cyd 4wd with 352 K on the original drive train . My question is that my tranny just quit with no warning no noises just nothing in any gear no drive at all there is no codes warning lights or leaks . I am debating getting it fixed at estimated cost between 2000 to 2500 to rebuild it . I am just trying to understand what is wrong with the tranny any thoughts would be helpful I just don't trust these transmission people here in Canada

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
That's just about what I paid to have my transmission rebuilt when it kicked-out on me.

Maybe someone here can give you insight on what to try to see if it solves your problem. Torque Converter, maybe...?
If not, I'd suggest looking around your area to see if you can find a trans that's already rebuilt. They're in my area for around $700 and they normally come with a 1 year warranty. Installation can be done by yourself, or you can pay a shop to have it done. Should be the cheaper alternative either way.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
When the tranny went out on my '02, I scrapped it at about 320k. Just not worth it. If ever the engine blows later on, you'd never be able to recover that money. If you really want to keep the truck, you could throw in a used tranny but even that has inherent risks.

Sounds like the oil pump died on yours. Try disconnecting one of the cooler lines and crank the engine. Should have good flow. Dropping the pan might also give you a better idea of what's going on. Mine was very evident as it was grinding more than a stripper on a Saturday night.

John in RI

Oct 17, 2018
Greene, RI
Sounds like the oil pump died on yours. Try disconnecting one of the cooler lines and crank the engine. Should have good flow.

Good advise. I've had a tranny fail, ( no 3 or 4 ) and had it rebuilt. Bench rebuild was $500, Parts cost me $800 and I had to drop and install; that was 3 years ago. Shortly after it was reinstalled ( a month or 2 ) the tranny just stopped working while highway driving. No funny noises, no codes,...... just quit pulling and drifted to the break-down lane, then wouldn't move from a stop. I had re-used the original 180K pump during the rebuild to save a little $ and my reward for being a little cheap was that I had to drop the tranny again. ( thankfully - it was about the only thing I did "cheap" during the rebuild...! I bought the beast, new TC, shift kit, ect... ) I've also had a pump fail due to poor installation once. It wasn't seated on the shaft properly and broke when the tranny was bolted to the bell. Same conditions,... no noises, showing full, and no codes.

Replacing the pump should be kinda' cheap,..... I'm GUESSING that to put the truck on the lift and drop/reinstall will be $5-600 + 125/300 for a refurb/new pump. If they are quoting you 2K-$2500 they better be giving that tranny a FULL rebuild.

:cool:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online