Transmission problem

JAVINDRA

Original poster
May 27, 2018
brampton ontario canada
Hi all recently had a issue with my 03 gmc envoy xl (4.2) tranny was waiting to turn left off the highway and to my surprise I had no drive what so ever in any gear . It is not the linkage (reverse light comes on) so I towed it to a tranny shop and they said the tranny is shot (clutch plates welded together) 2400$ to repair without a teardown analysis. I had indications that maybe the tranny was slipping (would rev before going into gear) any thoughts on this...thanks Hommer

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Did you have a look at the fluid on the dipstick? Looked or smelled burnt? With prior symptoms, I'd also be inclined to say it's toast.

JAVINDRA

Original poster
May 27, 2018
brampton ontario canada
Had a flush within the year they said the level was up but the fluid was burnt and overheated I just found it odd that it would quit completely like that he said that it was very common

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Apparently, old fluid will have friction material suspended in it and will help the failing clutch packs work a little longer, but just prolongs the inevitable. That's why when some replace the fluid and suddenly fails, they blame the fluid change. It would have failed eventually. On top of that, if the flush was done using a machine, most of them cause more damage than they fix by flushing in reverse of normal flow, dislodging junk and getting it stuck where it shouldn't be. We always recommend doing a full fluid replacement using normal fluid flow.

FearlessAZ

Jun 7, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
It is not all that uncommon. I had to have mine rebuilt at about 150k. Same symptoms with the fluid. Did a fluid change and boom, went out while driving to work. I have a thread on here about it too somewhere.

JAVINDRA

Original poster
May 27, 2018
brampton ontario canada
Apparently, old fluid will have friction material suspended in it and will help the failing clutch packs work a little longer, but just prolongs the inevitable. That's why when some replace the fluid and suddenly fails, they blame the fluid change. It would have failed eventually. On top of that, if the flush was done using a machine, most of them cause more damage than they fix by flushing in reverse of normal flow, dislodging junk and getting it stuck where it shouldn't be. We always recommend doing a full fluid replacement using normal fluid flow.

Thanks for the reply I had indications that there was shifting issues for a while when it would upshift it would rev a bit before shitting as if it was slipping but when it finally quit there was no noises bangs or grinding just nothing as if it was in park or neutral no drive what so ever and it was quick

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobby2175