NEED HELP Transmission Pan Gasket Fragment Removal Tips Needed

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Finally getting around to the fluid flush, and filter change since I've got only a few more days of vacation left. Followed the video by @MAY03LT and got the pan dropped (still spilled a bunch of fluid but whatever) :rolleyes:

The pan gasket does NOT want to let go. I've gotten most of it off in chunks and pieces, but there's still a bunch left...

20161230_112538.jpg

So my question is, what are some things I can try to get the rest of this off? I've got about half the can of brake cleaner left, and as you can see, gonna need that to clean out the rest of the pan. I sprayed what's left with some rattle can adhesive remover, as a hail Mary, and let that sit for 15 minutes, no dice. Walmart is like a half hour walk away, thankfully the weather is nice, but I'd like to resolve this without getting quite that much cardio in today.

Starting to wish I bought that replacement pan with drain plug right about now, then I'd be done with this already... :mad:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Putty knife and scrape scrape scrape. Try not to gouge bad, but a few scratches here and there won't hurt.

Reactions: Matt

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I use razor blades and steel wool.

Reactions: djthumper and Matt

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I did go with the putty knife and got my best results scraping with it. Caught my other hand a couple of times, but thanks to the gloves, didn't draw blood. I think I've got a retractable knife around here somewhere, will see if the blade in it is sharp enough to get the rest off.

There are some small pieces of gasket on the transmission itself. Should I be concerned with those, or leave them be?

:offtopic: This is a pretty crappy time not to have email notifications working

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I use the razor blade pinched in a vice grips as a scraper and do pan and trans lip. Shave the old gasket thin enough, if you cant get it fully off, and it will come off with a bit of steel wool

---Like this

IMG_2674.jpg

Or if you got a dremel or similar you can buff it off...
1301dp_17_averting_disaster_gasket_removal.jpg

Reactions: Blckshdw

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
So as to not scratch, I use a nylon wire wheel on a drill. Just as effective and leaves the surface smooth.

Reactions: Blckshdw

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I ended up doing the best I could with a razor blade. Couldn't get exactly all of it, some tiny pieces left, and some scratches in that main ridge that made me a lil nervous.

Applied a very thin bead of RTV to the ridge, and inside edge of the bolt holes, smoothed it with a finger, then laid the gasket on top. Let that sit for a few minutes before putting the pan back on. The small pieces on the transmission ended up coming off with a bit of persuasion. During the flush, no leaks, at least so far, will continue to monitor it. Have a cross county drive in a few hours, so that should be a good test.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll definitely try those if there's a next time. :yes:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
You should be good to go. Those gaskets are pretty good.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online