Transmission Output shaft info

Dadwagon

Original poster
May 21, 2020
West coast
My transmission output area has some oil around it where it meets the driveshaft. Search has failed me. Do we have any write-ups on gaskets/seals around that area? Is the seal something that can be DIY removed and replaced on the car without dropping the transmission? The leak doesn't appear terrible but I don't know what to look for. Might just clean the area with WD-40 and give it a couple miles and look how filthy it got.

TL;DR: Do we have a writeup on maintenance of the transmission output shaft for the 4L60E to the RWD driveshaft?

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
This stuff isn't very 'Sexy' ...but it IS "The Official ATSG Service and Re-Build Manual for Professional Transmission Installers of the GM 4L60E Transmission":

ATSG4L60EBIBLEMANUAL.jpg

Attachments

• ATSG4L60ESERVICEMANUAL.pdf
    4 MB · Views: 11
Reactions: Expeditor

Dadwagon

Original poster
May 21, 2020
West coast
This output shaft seal seems to be a "remove it clean it and reinsert it" situation? I've cleaned all the grime around the area, will give it a week and see how much oil comes out to see what is leaking and what's just road grime.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
The seals are readily available, from about 3 bucks up to 40. When it comes to those type of seals, I always replace them when in question.

Dont forget to grease the splines of the driveshaft input section. Theres a TSB about it, but I cant find it at the moment.

Heres a thread that talks a bit about it..

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Check to see if you have a lot of movement at the output shaft to be sure the bushing at the tail shaft isn't worn. If it's worn, a new seal won't help for long.

Reactions: mrrsm and BrianF

Dadwagon

Original poster
May 21, 2020
West coast
After about 50 miles of driving I checked and there is a bit of red weep out of the output shaft seal. It's minor but it will be on my mind until it's fixed. Prices seem to vary wildly for this seal, anywhere from $11 to $25. Kind of nervous what I order won't be what is actually on the vehicle.

Found this on Amazon. Buyers noted it fits the 4L60E.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013FG60E/?tag=gmtnation-20

Last edited:

JayArr

Sep 24, 2018
Mission BC Canada
Did you get this done Dad?

I replaced mine last summer and it was easy BUT I bought the proper GM (Kent-Moore) seal installer. It's a big piece of plastic that allows you to tap the new seal into place over the shaft. Trying to replace the seal without this tool could be very tricky and it may just leak again. The tool was about $20, used, on eBay. There is a small hole in the boot, make sure it's at 6 o-clock so any weepage can drain.

Dadwagon

Original poster
May 21, 2020
West coast
Dad's been busy with work and child care :smile: I was under the car this weekend to replace a broken plastic fuel disconnect clip ($3 by Dorman, my CEL is gone now yahoo!) and the transmission is still weeping a little bit. Need to do this next opportunity. I'm planning to use a delicate pick to pull it off and have a piece of PVC pipe for reinstallation. I'll update when I get to this. Also have a exhaust leak out of the largest muffler box that needs welding soon.

Dadwagon

Original poster
May 21, 2020
West coast
I got the seal and bushing from my local Buick parts store. What's involved with replacing the bushing, is it just a "pull old out, put new in" procedure once the seal is removed? This is my only vehicle so want to make sure I can keep it going if I do the repairs tonight before work tomorrow.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online