Transmission just went out

Daniel644

Original poster
Feb 27, 2015
Well I'm pretty sure it the transmission anyway, was on my way to work earlier and driving uphill all of a sudden it was like the truck was in neutral, rolled back down the hill and parked, when I first parked I heard a rattling sound from the area of the transmission, but that has quieted way down after shutting off and restarting a few times when getting pulled the 1/4 mile back to the house, tried putting it in 4wd and still no forward or reverse, so it doesn't sound like the rear end and in park the truck doesn't roll so the shifter linkage is fine.

anyway, gotta tow it to a shop monday, if it needs a full rebuild any other upgrades I should do while the transmission is out of the truck? 03 I6 trailblazer 4wd.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
A shift kit and TCC PWM eliminator would be good.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
That kit includes the TCC PWM eliminator valve. That's part of what makes it such a good kit.

Daniel644

Original poster
Feb 27, 2015
OK, wasn't sure, transmissions are outside of my expertise.

debating on just going with the reman trans from Rock Auto, it's got a 3 year unlimited mileage (parts and labor) warranty and is looking to be not that much more expensive then what I would expect to pay locally for a rebuild.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
If I was in a pinch, I would find a low mile trans, hopefully not beaten to death, maybe around 75K max from another gmt360 then before I installed it I would flush the fluid, change the separator plate, install vette servo, sonnax super hold servo, TCC eliminator, and a few other accumulator pistons.

That way I know someone else didn't half-a$& the rebuild and could maybe get it back on the road for maybe 6 to 800 bucks and buy me another 150K or more miles

If you chose to have a shop rebuild it...whatever route you take, make sure you get a documented receipt from a reputable shop, note any irregularities during driving, if any.

These transmissions are very well made and last a long, long time as long as regular maintenance is performed. Unfortunately the separator plate is not outlined in a maintenance schedule and it will get worn and can cause pressure drops resulting in clutch failures.

If everyone here replaced their separator plate around the 140-150K mark along with a vette servo it would be cheap preventative maintenance.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
A low mileage used transmission isn't a bad idea, especially after installing that kit in it. Just make sure it will work on your truck (4x4 trans, correct year range).

Daniel644

Original poster
Feb 27, 2015
looking on craigslist people that are selling them either don't mention the mileage or it's well above 150k miles and the rest are places that rebuild them.

That way I know someone else didn't half-a$& the rebuild

this is what makes me want to get a reman with a good warranty.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I would look for a wrecked 360 with low mileage and pull the trans if poss....I agree CL isn't a sure bet.

Daniel644

Original poster
Feb 27, 2015
I would look for a wrecked 360 with low mileage and pull the trans if poss....I agree CL isn't a sure bet.

just checked Ebay too, finding a low mileage one is not easy, and the ones around 100k miles are almost as much as the remans after paying shipping.

just to make sure (i think I read it somewhere) the 02-06 4x4 are the straight swaps that don't involve swapping anything like input or output shafts?

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I wouldn't mess with mail order, I would drive to a salvage yard and see what's avail. You may get lucky and they won't charge alot to pull the trans if it's not already pulled.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Dexron VI.

Daniel644

Original poster
Feb 27, 2015
Dexron VI.

also thinking about doing a auxiliary trans cooler to bypass the one in the radiator, just to be on the "crazy extra safe" side to reduce risk of crap staying in the cooler during the flush and messing up the new transmission, any recommendations on a decent cooler?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Pretty much anything that's not "tube and fin". Plate type is the best. There should be a few installs here somewhere.

Daniel644

Original poster
Feb 27, 2015
Pretty much anything that's not "tube and fin". Plate type is the best. There should be a few installs here somewhere.

found a few threads, but trying to determine sizing of the unit for a stand alone install, the ones I could find where all running in series with the stock cooler.

any ideas how big a one would be good enough?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Thing is, keeping the one in the radiator does help warm up the trans to operating temp faster in the winter and keeps it from getting over cooled. You don't want your trans too hot, true, but don't want it too cold either. Seems I very rarely have heard of the radiator's trans cooler going bad. I'm still running mine (and only that one still).

Daniel644

Original poster
Feb 27, 2015
Thing is, keeping the one in the radiator does help warm up the trans to operating temp faster in the winter and keeps it from getting over cooled. You don't want your trans too hot, true, but don't want it too cold either. Seems I very rarely have heard of the radiator's trans cooler going bad. I'm still running mine (and only that one still).

The plate style ones have a bypass in them to allow them to get up to temp before going into full flow, so you don't run to cool, plus I live in Georgia with summer temps well and above 90 degrees (sometimes even over 100) and about 10-20 for the winter lows, which the threads I've read on the subject say with where I am the to cool issue is not an issue when using this style of cooler. At least thats what the guys in the transmission section of LS1tech said to a guy in Atlanta, which has pretty comparable weather to me.

webdawg

Jun 26, 2014
I just put a rockauto tranny in a 2004 TB LT and I liked it. (About 1 year ago) It was ETE reman and if I remember correctly 100k warranty. You would have to get it installed by the correct shop for warranty.

I never had a problem with the stock tranny cooler but I did crack it trying to fix the quick disconnect about 3 weeks ago. (It started to leak(common issue), at this point I would have needed a cooler or new radiator (I guess they have rebuild kits but the oring is inside the connector), I was on the road, tried to fix it and screwed it up more. My radiator filled up with tranny fluid and I had to pay for a new radiator, a transmission flush, and coolant system flush. If I ever get a tranny put into a car again, I think I am going to get a NICE cooler installed. Something strong that will NEVER leak.

My car caught on fire when, after getting a new radiator put in, the quick disconnect exploded as Firestone forgot to put the quick disconnect retainer clip on. I was able to put out the fire with bottled water.

I now have hose clamps over the quick disconnect retainer clips. They will never come off again.

I do not know how much you know about tranny stuff, but all the stuff these guys are talking about putting in a transmission is not super simple stuff. I know you are going for a full rebuild, but if anyone thinks they can ever just drop the pan of a tranny and switch parts they are crazy.

I do not know what they are talking about strong transmissions also, I mean, after reading, reading, and reading, I found it was not even recommended to do a fluid swap on these things because of the over all design.

The 4L60-E is found in many different vehicle and people do all sorts of crazy stuff with it though. The ETE reman has a mild shift kit and I think some other stuff. I also looked into Jasper and Monster transmissions.

I went with rock auto because of the price and the fact that it was just a plain transmission. I just wanted the dam car to shift smooth.

Daniel644

Original poster
Feb 27, 2015
I just put a rockauto tranny in a 2004 TB LT and I liked it. (About 1 year ago) It was ETE reman and if I remember correctly 100k warranty. You would have to get it installed by the correct shop for warranty.

I never had a problem with the stock tranny cooler but I did crack it trying to fix the quick disconnect about 3 weeks ago. (It started to leak(common issue), at this point I would have needed a cooler or new radiator (I guess they have rebuild kits but the oring is inside the connector), I was on the road, tried to fix it and screwed it up more. My radiator filled up with tranny fluid and I had to pay for a new radiator, a transmission flush, and coolant system flush. If I ever get a tranny put into a car again, I think I am going to get a NICE cooler installed. Something strong that will NEVER leak.

My car caught on fire when, after getting a new radiator put in, the quick disconnect exploded as Firestone forgot to put the quick disconnect retainer clip on. I was able to put out the fire with bottled water.

I now have hose clamps over the quick disconnect retainer clips. They will never come off again.

I do not know how much you know about tranny stuff, but all the stuff these guys are talking about putting in a transmission is not super simple stuff. I know you are going for a full rebuild, but if anyone thinks they can ever just drop the pan of a tranny and switch parts they are crazy.

I do not know what they are talking about strong transmissions also, I mean, after reading, reading, and reading, I found it was not even recommended to do a fluid swap on these things because of the over all design.

The 4L60-E is found in many different vehicle and people do all sorts of crazy stuff with it though. The ETE reman has a mild shift kit and I think some other stuff. I also looked into Jasper and Monster transmissions.

I went with rock auto because of the price and the fact that it was just a plain transmission. I just wanted the dam car to shift smooth.

I looked at the RockAuto one but after paying shipping both ways (returning the core) the cost was pretty even with the one at Autozone that has the 3 year UNLIMITED mileage "NO HASSLE" warranty, that covers both labor and parts, and the Autozone is in town, instead of having additional shipping costs for any potential replacements so ordered it last Saturday, just waiting for it to come in and gonna order the Dexron VI tonight and so I just need to figure out what size cooler would be big enough to handle the transmission by itself so I can avoid the internal cooler. Also I will be having a shop install it, I don't have the time, tools or knowledge to do it myself, the shop quoted me 450 for the remove and reinstall and flush the lines if I supply the fluids.

Reactions: paul2005tb

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online