Transmission Issues

FearlessAZ

Original poster
Jun 7, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
On my way to work today and my transmission decided that it was going to disengage and refuse to engage. No hear is working at the moment. I changed tranny fluids a couple months ago and had to change them again a month ago (tech swore that I had to use gasket sealer and I did and ended up getting a good gasket leak). The second time I changed fluids, I swapped in a transmission pan that has the removable drain plug. I triple checked fluid levels after I was done and was absolutely good. It has ran like a champ since then until this morning. When I checked fluids today, it looked like a had too much (hard to get a good guess because the surface I am on is not level at all). I will try double checking when I get it home. It is a 2004 Chevy trailblazer 2WD with 163k miles on it. I am fairly certain that it has never been rebuilt. If you guys have any suggestions, I would be more than happy to hear them.

Also, if this happens to be a serious issue, how much does a rebuild cost nowadays?

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
Sounds sorta like the issue I had back in January:
http://gmtnation.com/forums/threads/transmission-started-grinding-in-1st-reverse.14929/

I also changed the fluid prior to the destruction. I did it myself and I know everything was replaced properly. Although, when mine jumped out of gear, it went back into gear, but it slammed into it. Made a nasty grinding noise all the way home!

Along with other things, the main component that failed was the planetary gear. Total cost was around $2,400

I'd check the trans linkage underneath to be sure it's intact. Try to eliminate the cheapest repairs, first.

...Good luck!

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
Knowing what I know now -and had to do it all over again, I think I would have opted to just buy a rebuilt 4l60 trans for about $700-$1,000 from a shop and installed it myself. I see a lot of them listed on craigslist. Not saying that I completely trust all of the trans units that are listed on c-list, but I'd definitely drive to the shops that are selling them and take a closer look.
Besides, many trans shops (at least, near me) will give you a few $$ for an old trans so they can rebuild and sell it again.

Reactions: mrrsm

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
_^_ X2

I made out like a Bandit at around $1,200.00 as it included a re-manned Torque Converter ... (it would have been around $200 less, had I not decided to keep my old 4L60E) by researching the Best Offers and Great Deals available from eBay. I had to pay a bit more on Freight because I wanted the item set down in my driveway because I did the R&R myself. But they may not charge you additional freight if you have it delivered to a professional installer who will do the labour, but agrees only if he does not have to indemnify any failures with the transmission itself...the Seller(s) will ship to their location, if you so specify.

What is really necessary is making damned certain of what the Strength and Durability of the "innards" are made of (such as New Shell and Red Friction Disks...NOT Tope or Gray Coloured!!!) and that the transmission you are getting is identical to or equal to your own OEM transmission in every respect. If the company you deal with is one that conducts their own on-site rebuilds by folks who only do transmission rebuilds with no other distractions...they will tend to do things correct because they work on transmissions all the time... and will have more hands-on experience.

If possible, before doing business with them... don't settle for less than their having a full 5* eBay Rating or 100% Customer Satisfaction level or as close to it as possible and have a reasonable guarantee before making the purchase. Above all... Caveat Emptor (Buyer Beware...) You will get what you PAY for! These first selections shown below come from the eBay vendor I dealt with...with total satisfaction:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=trailblazer+4.2l+4l60e&_sop=16

Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
One last suggestion... I know that you probably trust your Transmission Repairman... But if you decide to go the eBay route...make certain that the Seller communicates by email with BOTH of you by providing all of the Make-Model and most particularly...the Serial Number of the Re-manufactured Transmission... just so everyone gets on the same page from Day One...and you don't wind up with an unfortunate "Bait and Switch" situation where they "accidentally" put in a Shoddy Built one from... "off their shelf"...and keep the one that YOU just paid for.

If you use the eBay Vendor I mentioned above... the transmission will be coming to you from Texas... with an Excellent 3 Year Warranty that will begin a running time line... as soon as you send them your paperwork and of course... The Old Core Transmission... because they build theirs... to last. I just want to make certain that no unfortunate shenanigans happen to you. You are a Member at GMT Nation...and a Fellow Traveller here...and We... Take Care...of Our Own...

Last edited:

FearlessAZ

Original poster
Jun 7, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
That is very good info. I would have never even thought to look at most of that. I will keep my options open.

The wife made the mistake of mentioning that if I needed to, I could buy a new vehicle. Just happened to find an 07 TBSS for 11k at the dealership yesterday. I told her not to tell me I could because i will look for every excuse to just go buy a new vehicle. Lol.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Do it!

I'm sorry honey but the old girl is done and it would cost too much to fix her. But I did find a suitable, more recent replacement. Oh, SS? It just means "Super Sexy", just like you! :2thumbsup:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
If MY Wife ever agreed to such a Great Idea...I would sprout wings and FLY to the Dealership! LOL...So...Yeah... Brother...Go Get Your New RIDE!

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Just subtract the ordinary average cost of replacing the Transmission at a Local Shop for $2,500 right off the top of that figure...and beat them down with the "facts" in the CarFax...and you might get a really good deal. It would be good to know the circumstances of the theft and the accidents to determine whether the Original Owner's insurance Company Totaled it out for excessive damage.... and then a secondary Salvage Buyer picked it up for Chump Change and then had it rebuilt as this must be indicated by a marking on the title saying "Salvage Title".

If the chassis and motor areas show signs that vehicle was originally left standing for a long time in flood water... or if after being stolen was either left sitting in salt water or submerged in a pond or lake somewhere... If any of these events happened, then the corrosion damage might take a while to show up. You have a right to know whether or not the crash that damaged the vehicle was a Fatality Accident as well...for the obvious reasons and risks of any health and safety issues.

If the Car Thieves had the damned thing for two weeks before the cops located and recovered it... and they were Dogging the Hell out of the Engine ...trying to melt the tires off of it on a parking lot somewhere... it might be better to ask the dealer to show you the other SS ones like this vehicle that they mention having in the fine print at the bottom of business page in the link you added. Checking the CarFax Service Records would indicate how much or how little care went into the vehicle prior to the re-sale. Clean and Abundant Motor Oil, Transmission Fluid, Brake Fluid and Power Steering Fluid along with having reasonable power and handling and braking indications during a test drive...with no smoke or sketchy idling in park while you walk around it, looking closely and listening as well... will ease your mind about its general mechanical soundness... or... perhaps reveal its weaknesses that you can exploit for a Better Price.

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
as soon as you send them your paperwork and of course... The Old Core Transmission... because they build theirs... to last.

I see that they provide a return shipping label for the core, but did you have to pay the $70 both times (to and from) if it was mailed to your house?

Either way, it's a great deal. Again, if I had to do it all over, I'd probably go this ebay route and save the extra $1200 by installing it myself. Only things I'd have to purchase on top of that is fluid and a trans jack.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
@hockeyman ... I negotiated the Home Delivery knowing full well that the additional nominal delivery fee included the option for a decent refund if I opted to have the Freight Return Slip Paper Work later sent to me by the eBay Vendor for making the transaction of having the Freight Carrier contacted and come to pick up the Old Transmission for the return to the eBay Vendor back in Texas. l was afraid that if I mentioned wanting to keep the core transmission...they might get cold feet... and not bend the rules in my favour for what might devolve into a strictly "Terminal Freight Shipping" arrangement that under the circumstances, would have been extremely inconvenient for me and which I very much wanted to avoid.

PLEASE FORGIVE THIS HIJACK... BUT IF ANYONE IS CONSIDERING DOING THIS REPAIR... THIS IS AN OFTEN OVERLOOKED AND VERY IMPORTANT SERIES OF STEPS TO FOLLOW WHEN DOING THIS 4L60E REPAIR:

Remembering that at the time all of this was happening... I was over 65 years old, working on this repair alone and enduring what was essentially an unseasonably frigid (for Florida) "Ice Cold Rainy December Week of From Hell". During that time-line... I had to lay on Black Plastic Garbage Bag Sections covering big sections of Cardboard to work on under the Tralblazer on sloped concrete driveway for nearly an entire week. While I was laying down there being inundated with one chilly rainfall after another...those Black Bags repeatedly collected and filled up with Storm Water all around me like a Kid's Swimming Pool, but certainly not as much fun for me... as the cold water soaked my clothing and sapped my energy again and again during the entire experience.

Right along with that problem was having to work some very long and very arduous hours on this swap-out, as there were times when things were happening that demanded my full strength and endurance and stopping in the middle of doing such things was out of the question. As the repair neared completion... I realized and needed to seriously consider that this New Transmission deserved a proper Baptism by Brand New Transmission Fluid...and not become poisoned by the remaining Black Pool of Old Transmission Fluid Mung hiding deep inside the Inlet and Outlet Lines and lodged even deeper inside of the Transmission Cooler.

But to accomplish this... I had to resort to my "Mad Inventor Skills" by adapting an Aluminum HVAC AC Pressure Cleaner Cylinder with a MAX pressure capacity of 90 PSI... and bend it to my will. I decided the best way to accomplish a Proper Power Flush of the Transmission Cooler was to fill up the Aluminum Cylinder with Transmission Flush, using not less than 6 Pints...Pressurizing one Pint at a Time... one after another... and use the Ball Check Valve on the Cylinder with an HVAC Hose with a Pistol Handle, and modified it to mate up with a long length of 3/8" Reinforced Rubber Fuel line. I fastened the Black Line to the "OUTLET SIDE" COOLER LINE (Fluid Normally Flows Towards the Transmission Through This Line) but in this case acting as the "INLET-SIDE" for the purposes of using my Transmission Cooler Cylinder Flush Apparatus.

Likewise... I attached another decent length of Reinforced Rubber Fuel line to the "INLET SIDE" (Fluid Normally Flows Away From the Transmission and BACK Inside The Transmission Cooler Through This Line).and from there...I routed that long hose into a length of CLEAR, REINFORCED ACRYLIC SINK HOSING that went down through a hole I drilled at one corner of the Orange Lid of this Tall Square Yellow Plastic Container to act as a Catch Basin for all of the SERIOUS CRAP that had accumulated inside of the Transmission Cooler and Lines. After 240,000 Miles...all this Fluid and Mung Residue would soon be rejected from hiding deep within the Transmission Cooler.. BUT NOT WITHOUT A FIGHT!

It followed that I had to drill out a second Air Pressure Relief Hole along the opposite edge of the Orange Lid of the Tall Yellow container in order to allow the ambient air inside to escape as the pressurized exiting used Transmission Fluid might over-pressurize the Recovery Container enough to blow the lid off of it. In order to secure the Fuel Line inside, I looped around several coils of the Drainage Fuel Line on the lid...and then placed several weighty decorative yard stones on top to resist "Newton's Third Law of Motion" ... lest, like a Rocket Nozzle... the hose might react by pushing itself backwards, completely out of the lid to spray Old Transmission Fluid all over the place!

Next...With the Ball Valve on the Aluminum Pressure Cylinder in the CLOSED Position... I induced Compressed Air via my Air Compressor into the the common Air Hose Connector where the AIR PRESSURE GAUGE indicated the fill rate and Internal Pressure of the Aluminum Cylinder...and because I did not want to rupture the Transmission Lines or to damage the Transmission Cooler deep inside of the Radiator...I only filled the Aluminum Cylinder to 60 PSI. At this point everything was ready and in position.

Next...AND THIS PART IS VERY, VERY IMPORTANT....

With all of the Proper Hoses hooked up in the Proper REVERSE Direction...And with all of the line attachments secured with Reliable Hose Clamps...and with 60 PSI bearing down inside of the Aluminum Cylinder holding only One Pint of Transmission Flush...It only remained to SLOWLY...AND I DO MEAN ....SLLLLLLOOOOOOWWWLLLYYY... Opening the Ball Valve and allow the Transmission flush to gradually enter the Yellow HVAC Hose at an adjusted PSI lowered to 30 Pounds Per Square Inch...allowing the Flushing Fluid to enter the Black Rubber Fuel Line first and then into the OUTLET side of the Transmission Cooler...and by then...suddenly you will begin to hear things Rumbling, Roiling and Rolling while the Flushing Fluid is MOVING deep inside of the Transmission Cooler.

After around 30 seconds of waiting...you can hear all of that TRAPPED CRAP LODGED INSIDE THE TRANSMISSION COOLER BEGIN TO BREAK LOOSE ...And then all of a sudden....the CLEAR ACRYLIC HOSE TURNS JET BLACK...as the Projectile Old Transmission Fluid is Flowing into the shuddering and sputtering in the bottom of the Tall Yellow Container.

It only remained for me to do this 5 More Times...with less and less "Pressure Drama" and gradually, the exiting Fluid Stream became Cleaner and Cleaner until there was nothing but Clean Transmission Flush in view inside the Clear Acrylic Drain Line. It followed that I used several containers of Fresh Dexron in this identical fashion to thoroughly clean out the Transmission Cooler and Lines of any Residual Transmission Flush. When the fluid went through clear Acrylic Hose as a Fresh Transparent Red Stream as viewed with a Flash-light for Back-lighting... I knew I had complete success and now... No Worries about contaminating a Brand New Transmission with the Dreaded "Black Mung".

After you finish installing the new Transmission...with the exception of the presence of the Blue Assembly Grease, perhaps some White Petroleum Jelly and a little bit of Transmission Fluid left inside during the Re-manufacturing Process...this system will ultimately require just shy of 12 Quarts of Fresh Dexron Transmission Fluid. But you will want to add the last few quarts rather slowly after shutting down the system after it warms up from idling in park. Of course...when you finish the job, you must check that the fluid level is nominal often...and using a bright flash-light while looking for leaks on the passenger side of the centre area where the Transmission Fluid In and Out line connections are located is a must. Also make certain you push the two Transmission Cooler Lines at their bend points near the radiator firmly into their moulded lock-down bracket points.

Check the rear of the transmission take off seal at the drive-shaft for leaks later on after your Test Drive. As you install the drive-shaft very carefully...double check your tightening of the fasteners on the rear differential Universal Joint. You'll need to take the vehicle for a Test Drive...driving very slowly and carefully while listening to the new transmission shifting up and down the ladder of gear clusters to allow the gears to change and give you the chance to feel how well it works. DON'T BE TEMPTED TO RACE THE ENGINE TO 5,000 RPM AND SLAM THE SHIFT LEVER IN DRIVE. It seems absurd to have to even mention how foolhardy it would be to do this... But you would be surprised how many people will actually want to do this!

For God's Sake.. Don't drive this equipment hard with the idea that this constitutes a "Testing Procedure". Make a point of taking the vehicle to the Local GM Dealership to have the necessary $99.00 CASE Relearn Procedure done... there is no way around this requirement if you want the New Transmission to feel "at home" in your Trailblazer. When I took mine in for this procedure... The puzzled Transmission Tech actually came out from within the Service Bay Area and asked me, "Did YOU install the Transmission into the White Trailblazer...Yourself?" I smiled and said, "Yup..." He smiled right back at me and then he said, "It looks Really Good...You did a Great Job!" Ahhh Yes..."Praise From Caesar..." ...Is Praise...Indeed. :>)

Last edited:
Reactions: FearlessAZ

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Happy to add my thinking to that of many others guiding the discussion. I assembled some relevant images to post here because seeing these things "without the verdant verbiage" can be even more helpful to show us all what is possible...and in this case...very necessary:

This Link shows how modest an expense it is to purchase one of these very handy Flush Kits...that with a little imagination ...can be easily modified to "Flush away a LOT of Problems". For example.... I have been thinking of designing an "Engine Pressurizing Pre-Oiler" to force a dynamic cocktail mix of the right Engine Assembly Lubricants through an Oil Galley Port ...and entirely avoid any chance of galling Babbitt bearings, Valve Train Components and other internals such as the Oil Pump itself... to be free from cavitation and Dry Starts during the period of the initial start-ups or after vehicles have been standing dormant and unused... for years on end:

This First Link shows one that comes with the Adjustable Gauge too!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-C-FLUSH-KIT-/201591310432

s-l500.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/ac-flush-kit?rmvSB=true

s-l1600.jpg

DSC06139.jpg DSC06138.jpg DSC06137.jpg DSC06136.jpg DSC06135.jpg DSC06134.jpg DSC06133.jpg

Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area

FearlessAZ

Original poster
Jun 7, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
WOW...Man... Under 100K...One Owner...Clean as Kleenex...$220 Per Month... Outstanding Idea...I hope they're holding it for you!!!

I actually know the sales manager over there so I am sure he could give me a smoking deal. I might just convince the wife to just let me go for it. I can always fix the transmission next year when taxes come and have a spare vehicle or something to toy with or just part it out. I keep trying to find something wrong with that envoy and cant find a single thing. Single owner, Well taken care of, well maintained, low mileage, Denali trim with a 5.3.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
God's Holy Trousers! I hope you convince her...Promise her ANYTHING:

(1) "I'll Take your Mother Clothes Shopping in it!"
(2) "I'll use it to pick up Grandad's Old Joe Weider Weight Set and I'll even put them up in his Attic!"
(3) "I'll Paint Your Toe Nails in the back of it with the Tail Gate up to shade your Pretty Face!"

LOL

FearlessAZ

Original poster
Jun 7, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
I'm pretty close to crying right now. Wife gave me the go ahead to get it (didn't even ask for anything in return!). We drove down after work. My family friend said the other dealership borrowed it (we texted while he was in a meeting and the other dealership picked it up) and someone ended up buying it. I am so sad. That was pretty much everything I was looking for in a vehicle. Can't get much more perfect than that.

AzTruckGuy

Dec 1, 2015
scottsdale, az
I'm pretty close to crying right now. Wife gave me the go ahead to get it (didn't even ask for anything in return!). We drove down after work. My family friend said the other dealership borrowed it (we texted while he was in a meeting and the other dealership picked it up) and someone ended up buying it. I am so sad. That was pretty much everything I was looking for in a vehicle. Can't get much more perfect than that.

Why bother getting something that high miles for that price? Maybe search a little for the right vehicle with decent miles. My TB has 97k miles and its clean and well taken care of but I wouldn't buy one with high miles especially at $10k knowing how these vehicles are, taken care of or not.

FearlessAZ

Original poster
Jun 7, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
A single owner, no accident, elderly owned, 97k mile GMC Denali that I could of gotten for a little over $9k. Beats every other deal that I have seen so far for the same vehicle.

Reactions: xavierny25

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Well, there's still that SS worth considering. Just some homework to do.

FearlessAZ

Original poster
Jun 7, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
That one is kind of on the back burner for me at the moment. I love it but don't like that it was stolen and in a couple accidents. If it was clean and clear, I would have got it a couple days ago. Lol

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
A single owner, no accident, elderly owned, 97k mile GMC Denali that I could of gotten for a little over $9k. Beats every other deal that I have seen so far for the same vehicle.

I think you're right - you knew the history, knew the dealer, looked clean as hell, and it had less than 100K on the clock (actually about average miles for a 10yr old vehicle - but at least it didn't have 120-150K on it. I see people selling them with 175K, calling them 'perfect runners' - so I think you found that diamond in the rough - but lost it to someone else. You have my sympathy.

If you find another, see if you can put a small deposit on it, to hold it for a day or two. $100-$200 will generally hold a vehicle - just make sure it's a refundable deposit (and they give you a receipt, of course). This can work even for vehicles that aren't local to you (although you don't want to drive cross-country - I'd say keep your search to 250mi or less).

You can search a site like cars.com and filter to exactly the criteria you want, as far away as you want. Once you've got the search saved, set up an e-mail alert, and you'll be ready for the next candidate as soon as it arrives.

If you've got your heart set on a V8 (sounds like you do), you'll have the best chance with a Denali of any year, as I think (?) they had the V8 standard, and they were popular - but they cost the most used, and many times they have the rear air suspension. Next best would be an '04 or an '03 - you get the all-aluminum LM4, and no cylinder deactivation to worry about. And I think it might actually be easier to find a V8 in the early MY, before they started limiting them to specific trim levels (see: Denali, above) But I doubt you'll find one of those with less than 100K on the clock. Mine had 128K when I found my '03 XL, but it was in good shape, wasn't going to be a daily driver, and I don't mind turning a wrench here or there, for the 'right' vehicle.

Oh, and an easy way to tell an '03-'04 with the V8 - they all have 'V8' badges on the front fenders (unless they were removed). It's even possible to find the '03-'04 Envoys in the lower (SLE) trim level, with the upgraded engine - someone is selling one locally around here, and it's an SLE with cloth seats, no DIC, manual HVAC, etc. If I could've found something like that, I'd have bought it - less stuff to break - although I have to admit, I love the bun warmers in my 'Voy, as well as the other SLT goodies.

Apparently, you can get the V8 in some of the TB trims in the later MY, without having to jump all the way to the TBSS. And I think your chances of finding a SWB V8 are actually better here (unless you like the Denali trim).

FearlessAZ

Original poster
Jun 7, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
That's some pretty dang good info. Our family friend is a sales manager at that dealership that I found that denali at. I texted him as soon as I saw it but he was in a meeting and the sister dealership borrowed it while he was at the meeting. They were supposed to bring it back by a certain time but it got sold.

It's all good though. If I was supposed to have that exact vehicle, it would have happened. Something better will come along.

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
Have you had a chance to have it inspected? Was the new pan you installed otherwise identical except for the drain plug? If you unsuspectingly installed a deeper pan than was originally there without a filter extension the filter will eventually fall out of the pump inlet and you'll get the "no gears" situation. Usually you have to seek out the extra deep pans but just throwing it out there...

A "no gears at all" situation is almost always a "no fluid pressure" problem, either from low fluid (you've checked) or a failed pump. (Sometimes it's some other hard parts failure but usually you get some kind of indication that something else is wrong like noise or grinding). Were you cruising along when it felt like it just slipped into neutral? That's a pretty tell-tale sign the pump has disintegrated. The pump itself can be replaced but at that point you'd be better off with a swap anyway.

FearlessAZ

Original poster
Jun 7, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
It will be getting towed sometime early next week. I had to wait until today to get AAA and it takes 4 days to kick in I think. Didn't feel like paying +50 for a single tow. Figured I might as well pay AAA for a year and have the extra tows and stuff.

I really thought I had a deep pan and replaced with the Dorman 265-811. I could be wrong. If so, it is a quick, easy and cheap fix. I am guessing it is probably something like that as well.

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
There's a 99.99% chance that you had the deep pan to begin with so that Dorman pan is correct. I only asked because there are aftermarket "extra capacity" pans that are even deeper that require the filter extension which is where I thought you may have gotten yourself in trouble. Since we skipped right over any kind of diagnosis and went straight to replacement options I figured I'd ask :thumbsup: Let us know what the shop says.

FearlessAZ

Original poster
Jun 7, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Looks like the transmission pump decided to pretty much blow up. Because of that and and all the little pieces. It will pretty much need a rebuild. My mechanic quoted me about $1000 to $1100 for parts and labor. I know that is pretty much better than any other shop. If I knew the status of my auto loan, this decision would be a lot easier.

FearlessAZ

Original poster
Jun 7, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
So, my question now is: It it worth it to do a shift kit or corvette servo while everything it out and being replaced? I told the mechanic to check prices of the two and see what he gets. He also said it wouldn't add any extra labor cost because he is replacing and rebuilding that stuff anyways. I would like firmer shifts but I don't want it to slam. From what I have read, both together would be too much.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yes and yes, especially the shift kit. The Corvette servo will just give better holding power to the clutches, making them last longer.

The full combo code buster kit on eBay is $160 but that includes the book (not needed) and built-in shipping charges. Maybe the shop can get for around $100?

FearlessAZ

Original poster
Jun 7, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
When I was on the phone with him he said the corvette servo would probably be around $20-$30 and the shift kit would probably be $50-$70. But he is checking with his supplier tomorrow for exact prices. From reading around, people have said that both together shift pretty hard. Is this true? Do I have to worry about it wearing out faster? Anything else I should be concerned about or know about or what to expect with this combo?

FearlessAZ

Original poster
Jun 7, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
He just called me back. I wasn't expecting him to call until tomorrow. Told me the corvette servo and the transgo reprogramming kit together would only be like $55 more. Ummm hell Yeah. So basically a rebuilt 4l60e with corvette servo and transgo reprogramming kit for like $1075-$1100. Not bad at all.

Reactions: xavierny25

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Is he strictly in the Transmission Repair Business?

FearlessAZ

Original poster
Jun 7, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Yes. That is all he does. He works out of his house. Pretty much retired so he does this to earn extra cash on top of all other stuff. Been doing this since like the 70s. My cousin (my normal mechanic) usually helps me with my work but he doesn't do transmission stuff. He referred me to this guy that does all his transmission work.

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
I installed my shift kit without doing any of the mods to the 2-4 servo (ran out of energy at the time :hopeless:). Everything was much improved except I had a fairly bad "20-24mph bump" at low load. After realizing the servo mods were the fix I decided to tackle it--and also used the opportunity to swap in the corvette servo. The 20-24mph bump is a lot better now (not entirely gone) but the 1-2 shift is way too harsh for my liking.

If I had to do it all over again I would definitely do the shift kit but skip the corvette servo. That being said, the servo can be removed and replaced without opening the transmission so you can always have it taken out later if you decide you don't like it. Also, there are options in the shift kit (springs and modification to the separator plate) to tailor the 1-2 shift. You could opt for a slightly softer 1-2 shift but still get the holding power of the corvette servo.

FearlessAZ

Original poster
Jun 7, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
I figure I will give both a shot since it is cheap enough and better to do it while it is all being replaced. If I don't like it, I can always swap it like you guys say.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online