Transmission issues please help

chris6822

Original poster
Mar 29, 2021
moses lake washington 98837
So I bought an 04 Buick Rainier I thought it had just a problem with the servos and the transmission but that turned out not to be yet so I replace the transmission with a used one it works fine before I installed it after putting it in I drained all of the transmission fluid change the filter and replaced the fluid and now I'm not getting anything it won't move in any of the years

chris6822

Original poster
Mar 29, 2021
So I bought an 04 Buick Rainier I thought it had just a problem with the servos and the transmission but that turned out not to be yet so I replace the transmission with a used one it works fine before I installed it after putting it in I drained all of the transmission fluid change the filter and replaced the fluid and now I'm not getting anything it won't move in any of the years
Sorry it won't move in any of the gears

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Is the pump working? Take the cooler line out of the driver side on the radiator and slip on a hose. Put the other end in a large container. Start the engine. Tranny fluid should start pumping out. If not, the pump was likely damaged during installation.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
When you replaced the transmission, did you also replace the torque converter?

chris6822

Original poster
Mar 29, 2021
Is the pump working? Take the cooler line out of the driver side on the radiator and slip on a hose. Put the other end in a large container. Start the engine. Tranny fluid should start pumping out. If not, the pump was likely damaged during installation.
Okay pulled off the hose and started it up and got nothing and then I started it up again and tried putting it in gear and still got nothing

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Sorry, didn't see this thread before I added to the other.

Does it have fluid? If the converter was low, it could likely pull enough fluid to starve the pump.

Check the fluid level with the engine idling.

Reactions: Mooseman

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
The torque converter could be the problem as well. On my 4T60E, the internal vanes had imploded.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
What I'm thinking is the TC wasn't properly engaged with the pump and destroyed the tangs on the pump. Not the first time. This is what happens when the TC isn't in properly:

img_20160823_040021-jpg.80772

Good point on using the TC from the 4.2. Even if it bolts up to the 4.2 flexplate, the stall speed with the 5.3 TC would be totally different.

chris6822

Original poster
Mar 29, 2021
Sorry, didn't see this thread before I added to the other.

Does it have fluid? If the converter was low, it could likely pull enough fluid to starve the pump.

Check the fluid level with the engine idling.
Yes it has fluid I pulled off one of the transmission lines from the radiator and nothing came out when I started it
What I'm thinking is the TC wasn't properly engaged with the pump and destroyed the tangs on the pump. Not the first time. This is what happens when the TC isn't in properly:

Good point on using the TC from the 4.2. Even if it bolts up to the 4.2 flexplate, the stall speed with the 5.3 TC would be totally different.
What it has the same torque converter that was in the original transmission the other transmission worked it just didn't have 3rd or 4th gear

chris6822

Original poster
Mar 29, 2021

What do you mean the TC the transmission cooler or the torque converter

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I don't think the TC itself is the problem, looks like the pump got damaged like in the pic.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It can but you basically have to take the whole tranny apart to replace the output tail shaft.

JayArr

Sep 24, 2018
Mission BC Canada
couple of quarts?

To fill the transmission put a few quarts in through the dipstick and start the engine for about 10-15 SECONDS. stop the engine and check the dipstick, it'll be empty. Repeat this process 2-3 times until you run the engine for 10-15 sec and there is still fluid in the pan. Run a little longer and check and you're full. About 12 quarts in total if everything was empty when you started.

Reactions: chris6822

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher