transmission issue - wrong modes

sickcowboy

Original poster
Apr 27, 2012
seen this problem on the other site, but no answer to how to fix. reverse is like park, goes forward in nuteral, got p0757 code, changed solinond for 2-3, (found out that is one on passenger side) and still problem. is it valve body? clutches? help o wise ones!

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
If it's not the shift cable sending the unit into the wrong mode, that's the sort of issue that I'd send to a transmission pro. I do almost all my own work, but transmission fluid makes me shudder ever since I got a pan full of the stuff all over my head and face in college. Now I have a phobia. Let's see if anybody else has been digging that deeply into theirs.

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
Does the dash indicate the correct gear you're selecting with the shift lever? How does it react in other modes?

I too would suspect a shift link cable. Have you looked underneath at its connection at the transmission? Clips do break.

You still have the mode problem after changing the solenoid or do you still have the P0757?

sickcowboy

Original poster
Apr 27, 2012
dash indicates corect gear. have watched likage move correctly on transmission. have not gotten any new codes. took test drive and still locked up in reverse, goes forward in nutral. drove around block and would not shift into drive with out loosing power. old fluid was dark. replaced fluid and filter. nothing to speek of in the pan, nothing on magnet, just tiny amount of "slime". there was someone on old forum that had this problem after doing a burn out, but have not abused mine. other than lots of miles off road.

jailfood

Dec 7, 2011
Mine started this morning very similarly. Park is park, reverse is park, Neutral is neutral and an odd large fan like whine coming from trans. drive is like I'm towing a house. As the trans was rebuilt about 18k ago it's still under warranty so to the shop it got towed. I'll let you know what they come up with tomorrow.

sickcowboy

Original poster
Apr 27, 2012
is there anyone with any idesa? park is park, reverse is park, nutral is forward, drive and 3rd do not want to engage, 1st and 2nd strong. have watched cable move on transmission thru all gears. fulid full, but hard to check when in gear! no codes. fluid little on dark side, but did change filter and 2-3 solnoid. there was someone on old forum that had same problem, but when asked over there no reply there also. did 4 mile test drive after letting it sit in park for 15-20 min. still no codes. there was a p0757 code when this all started. can it be valve body? can i remove valve body and clean it like I would a carb? auto trans are about the only thing have never dug into, but am willing to try if it can save me cash. am unemployed, and by choice do not collect unemployment. rather do odds and ends when off work to pay for stuff. but will need truck soon as I work pipeline, and use my truck while at work. these little trucks are great off road! thanks for all the replys!

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
After studying the hydraulic schematics I don't see any one thing that would be causing all of your symtpoms.:confused:

It does sound like there is still a problem with the 2-3 shift circuit. It may not have been the solenoid itself (or just the solenoid) that was causing the code. Losing 3rd and 4th gear is a common symptom of P0757. The other mode issues are odd but may be from contamination in the valve body that also caused the P0757. Unfortunately, cleaning out the throttle body is not going be as simple as pulling it out and spraying it down with some brake cleaner. I had mine out a few months ago to install a shift kit but that's not something I'd do again. It is do-able but IMO you're more likely to make something worse than to fix your problem.

I'd say your best bet is to take it to a trans shop.:frown:

jailfood

Dec 7, 2011
Finally got mine back today.

The 2-3 shift solenoid failed, was a brand new part from last years rebuild :sadcry:

It slipped, I drove it for another 6 miles yes 6 miles. and.... the transmission clutch pack was fried. In order to disassemble the trans they had to destroy the case.

Lucky for me still under warranty so it got rebuilt again.

My suggestion to you is to find a trans shop, one that does free diagnostics.

sickcowboy

Original poster
Apr 27, 2012
well so much for help lol. looks like i will pull the trans and dig in. how hard can it be? looks like the hardest part will be in getting the trans out.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
sickcowboy said:
...how hard can it be? ...
I'm an electrical engineer who designs and troubleshoots million dollar semiconductor test systems, and work on almost all automotive systems. But by choice, I will not dig into auto transmissions, although I have some mechanical engineering buddies who LOVE the innards and totally understand them. There are plenty of books and web sites to read up on how they work, but when even professional rebuilders sometimes get it wrong and they fail again within a year, it bodes poorly for the amateur first-timer.

jailfood

Dec 7, 2011
Not sure if this helps you any but. The trans died again. Just outside NYC. Long story short the ecm was bad, no codes, no faults, no lights, simply an intermittent problem. Disconnect battery, work for 2 days then quit, disconnect battery work for 2 days then quit. When I say quit it wouldn't send the signal to the trans to shift so it burnt it up, again. Thank god for a warranty. I would think if yours is acting like mine was, park is park R is Park, N is neutral and drive is drive like towing a house that the clutch packs are burnt up. A quality trans shop can test it, most for no cost so at least you know what you are getting into. A used trans at this point is better than all the BS you will have to go through rebuilding for a first timer and you would be taking the same chance. BTW change the coolant lines while the trans is out I hear they are quite the PITA to change when the trans is in.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher