NEED HELP Transmission interchange

danj

Original poster
Sep 29, 2014
Alright, I've got the 4l60E from my 04 TB with the I6. The transmission in my 1998 Silverado with a 5.7L lost the vacuum seal in the back causing it to lose 3rd and 4th gear.

My question is if can I use the TB tranny in the Silverado? I know I would have to change the bell housing, but will I run into any other issues? Everything else should be the same right?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

danj

Original poster
Sep 29, 2014
I thought that was just due to the bellhousing? Do you know of another reason it wouldn't work?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Are either of the 4WD? That changes the tail shaft housing too.

The guts are basically the same (the Trailblazer's one will have had some upgrades done that they made over the years), but some electrical things did change as well.

Basically - I kinda doubt they'd just be a bellhousing swap to get it working.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Are either of the 4WD? That changes the tail shaft housing too.

Not just the housing but the tail shaft itself too.

Paul Bell

Aug 16, 2014
I think by 1998 the major revisions in the 4L60E transmission were done. If the transmission wiring harness (the one inside the unit) is the same part number as the swap unit, it should work.

Obviously, a 4WD unit needs to be swapped with a 4WD unit.

Torque converter length should be checked.

danj

Original poster
Sep 29, 2014
That was my thoughts as well. If I changed the bell housing, and use the transfer case out of the 98, everything should hook up. At this point I think I'm going to give it a try. I'll make sure to post my results once I have them. I'll definitely check the torque converter size as well. It may take a couple of weeks though. I'm in the middle of finishing my 77 Firebird project.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

Both are 4x4 by the way

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online