Transmission high rpm on highway

MarkRR59

Original poster
May 5, 2022
Central Texas
A few months ago noticed with cruise on at highway speeds, 65-70mph, once in a while I would have a little rpm change. Could feel it like a misfire maybe. Got to be more frequent and more noticeable. Give it gas during one of these times and it will go away. Now running higher rpm, like 3-400 rpm at highway speed. Mileage is 239k. No codes except one day I had a B shift stuck off code , but cleared it and it has not come back. Had transmission flushed recently. Did not help. Shifts smoothly and other than the higher rpm , ran fine til yesterday. Stopped after 60 mile drive, went to back up and had to rev it up to move. Cut it off restarted it. All was fine. Drove home, same thing when I got home. Ideas?

MarkRR59

Original poster
May 5, 2022
Central Texas
Further info. Every time this rpm dropped and I mashed the gas pedal to fix it has been on a hill. Someone suggested I try third when it happens and see if that fixed it, it did. Who wants to drive around without overdrive though?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Sounds like the torque converter clutch is malfunctioning. While cruising on the highway, in 3rd or 4th, while holding the gas, tap the brake. If the RPM doesn't change by going up, your TCC isn't locking up.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I'd be careful and watch your transmission fluid for signs of heating and clutch material.
Agreed.. When the TCC fails, the tranny fluid can, and will, start getting hot.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online

No members online now.