Transmission Fluid - Where do you buy?

TB_n00b

Original poster
Dec 19, 2011
Queens, NY
Hey guys,

I'm coming up on the 100k mile mark so I've been preparing to get my ducks in a row for a fun day of fluid exchange! I'll be doing the Transmission fluid/filter, adding an aux cooler, transfer case, front and rear diff as well as the oil since I'll be close to needing a replacement anyway.

However I've been slowing beating my head against my desk while trying to figure out the best place to buy enough fluid to add a tranny cooler and do a full fluid and filter replacement. I can't seem to find a solution that either doesn't cost 8, 9, 10+ dollars per quart at AutoZone, Advanced Autoparts or Pep Boys or does give me a good price per quart, but leaves me needing the few additional quarts for the aux cooler volume. I've looked at Walmart but for whatever reason they will not ship more than 7 QTs to my local store for pick-up and will not do a home shipment. I've looked at Amalie but as they only ship 12 1-QT cases, that doesn't work. Amazon has decently priced 6 1-QT packages, but then the single Quarts run almost $15 each!

Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks!

triz

Apr 22, 2013
I was going to recommend Walmart but then I saw where you live. Unfortunately quality ATF is going to run 8+ bucks a quart. If your doing a full transmission fluid exchange its always better to have a few extra quarts anyways. Initial fill shows 5 quarts. I have 2.5 gallon jugs and single quart sizes. When I did my full service I got the 2.5 gallon jug and some extra qt size bottles. You can one stop shop at the link in my sig.

AT 100k miles doing the maintenance is refreshing the vehicle for another 50k-100k miles :smile:
PM me if I can help you with anything.

CAPACITIES:
Engine, with filter..........7 quarts [1]
Cooling System, Initial Fill..........13.7 quarts
AMSOIL Antifreeze and Engine Coolant
Automatic Transmission, 4L60-E Initial Fill..........5 quarts
Automatic Transmission, Total Fill
4 speed 4L60-E..........11.2 quarts
Differential, Front..........1.7 pints
Differential, Rear..........4 pints
Transfer Case, NVG126..........3.8 pints [2]
Transfer Case, NVG226..........3.8 pints [2] [1] After refill check oil level.
[2] Identification: check tag on case.
minus.jpg
TORQUES:

Oil Drain Plug.....19 ft/lbs
Transfer Case NV126,226
Fill Plug 20 ft/lbs
Drain Plug 20 ft/lbs

Transmission Filter WIX 58904 Trans Filter [4] Transmission Filter WIX 58847 Auto Tran Filter [5]
58847 is the Deep Pan filter.

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
NAPA

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I buy at local parts store. Its not really cheap, but its only done so oftn and I want something good in there with the price of rebuild or replacement.

Reactions: CaptainKD

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Walmart....Valvoline Maxlife ATF $16.97/Gal. 4 Gallons is more than enough but 3 Gal really isn't...cheaper to get the extra gal than the 2 qts.

Amsoil is great also but my local Wallymart has the maxlife and it has been great.

Dec 4, 2011
You are going to need about 14 qt to do a complete change. Draining the pan and refill will only get about 5 qt so this is not a complete change. I would recommend a synthetic such as Amsoil (my preference but not the only choice). The cooler will not take an appreciable amount of fluid but will add a little perhaps 1/2 quart. When you add the cooler (highly recommended) do a complete change of oil and filter. After that a filter change every other year or so (depending upon distance traveled and abuse piled on the tranny) should suffice.

here is the link to how I did a complete change. Some will agree, some will not, but it worked for me

http://forums.trailvoy.com/articles.php?do=viewarticle&artid=88

Remember "OIL IS CHEAPER THAN A NEW OR REBUILT TRANNY"

TB_n00b

Original poster
Dec 19, 2011
Queens, NY
Thanks all. I was going to be doing the change regardless, was just trying to not spend more money than I needed to spend to get the fluid. 2 months ago Walmart did have plenty of their fluid in stock, but I guess good things just don't last. I ended up just buying 3 packages of 6 quart bottles on Amazon, along with AutoTrak 2 and tranny filter and gasket.

Still on the fence about getting an aux cooler.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
I'm a preferred customer with Amsoil so I ordered their Signature series Fuel Efficient ATF. At my door within two days.

TB_n00b

Original poster
Dec 19, 2011
Queens, NY
Amazon worked alright for me. Should have everything by the end of the week. I went with Valvoline Dexron VI. Looking forward to getting my hands dirty. Still haven't pulled the trigger for the Aux cooler yet. I only do a DD of 20 miles normally. Only real stress I've subjected the truck to is climbing the mountains of VA when heading to the Blue Ridge loaded with 3 other bodies, a few hundred pounds of gear and a few bikes up on the roof. Not sure if it will make a difference for me beyond that.

TB_n00b

Original poster
Dec 19, 2011
Queens, NY
Went for the tranny cooler. I suspect I will be keeping this truck around for a long, long time so why not add some insurance that the tranny can do it's job. Also can't rule out that I will never tow anything (my parents do own a boat and I am the only one in the family with a tow capable truck) and I have to imagine the wind-resistance at 70+ MPH while driving on rolling highways with 4-5 bikes mounted to the roof puts a big load on the transmission.

I'll make sure to post pictures of all the goodness.

kkeo211

Apr 14, 2014
TB_n00b said:
Went for the tranny cooler. I suspect I will be keeping this truck around for a long, long time so why not add some insurance that the tranny can do it's job. Also can't rule out that I will never tow anything (my parents do own a boat and I am the only one in the family with a tow capable truck) and I have to imagine the wind-resistance at 70+ MPH while driving on rolling highways with 4-5 bikes mounted to the roof puts a big load on the transmission.

I'll make sure to post pictures of all the goodness.
Keep us updated about the tranny cooler. I'm in the same situation, I don't tow any but was thinking about getting a tranny cooler anyway just for some added protection. A cooler is not to expensive, and even if it helps a little bit, the cooler may be worth the cost.

glfredrick

Jan 14, 2014
Amazon, Fleet Farm (or Farm and Fleet), local parts houses, or wherever I can find it when running something other than Amsoil. I've found decent prices on Amazon and I use prime shipping, so that isn't a factor.

TB_n00b

Original poster
Dec 19, 2011
Queens, NY
kkeo211 said:
Keep us updated about the tranny cooler. I'm in the same situation, I don't tow any but was thinking about getting a tranny cooler anyway just for some added protection. A cooler is not to expensive, and even if it helps a little bit, the cooler may be worth the cost.
I assume it can't do anything but help. Everything I've read says cooler is better from everyday driving to towing a heavy load.

Ordered through e-trailer. Unfortunately they don't have the Derale coolers in stock and looks like their delivery time will miss my planned install date. So I'll be doing the tranny fluid and have to go back and add the cooler later which shouldn't really be an issue. Just inconvenient.

Props to e-trailer though. Not a fan that the website doesn't indicated that something isn't in stock, but at least they called within 24 hours of me placing the order and tried to resolve it, even willing to wave the additional $5 for a different derale cooler, which unfortunately was also not in-stock.

TB_n00b

Original poster
Dec 19, 2011
Queens, NY
Everything has arrived. Sunday will be the day. Thank god the temps will be dropping to more reasonable ranges. Don't want to be doing this in 90+ heat.

TB_n00b

Original poster
Dec 19, 2011
Queens, NY
Got everything done yesterday. Biggest pita was the rear differential fill plug. Took a breaker bar to get it loose. Everything else went smoothly including the aux cooler install. Overfilled the transmission a little so had to drain off a little but otherwise smooth sailing. And shifting. Smooth shifting too.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I found an impact helps get the rear diff fill plug loose. Vibration made quick work of it after I had already snapped an extention

chucki

Jun 22, 2014
have had my tb for a little over a week and as it has 155k on it and I have no idea if it has had anything done to it I guess I will need to do these changes too. the 4x4 not working and have done the fuse thing a couple of times will have to figure that out too.

glfredrick

Jan 14, 2014
HARDTRAILZ said:
I found an impact helps get the rear diff fill plug loose. Vibration made quick work of it after I had already snapped an extention
I've found that tapping the face of the plug with a hammer first helps a lot. Don't have to beat it into submission, just a few decent raps then they open right up.

sarg

Mar 17, 2014
Anyone know if the Torque Drive from Amsoil is ok? It is not listed as a Dex VI fluid. About to change the majority of the fluid here very shortly.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I'd stay with Dex VI to be sure. Probably cheaper and is synthetic. One of Amsoil's says it's Dex VI compatible but I guess they didn't go through GM's certification process.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
sarg said:
You talking stealership Dex VI or like castrol Dex VI?
Anything that says Dex VI. And any place other than a dealer.

Some members use Walmart brand with no problems.

Reactions: sarg

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If it says Dex VI, it is approved as Dex VI, no matter the brand. Has to meet the same specs as specified by GM, the holders of the license.

Reactions: Wooluf1952

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online