Transmission Fluid Temperature on Scanner?

Jimbo052

Original poster
Feb 29, 2012
I have an '05 Trailblazer LS with an I6. The transmission and cooling systems are both unmodified. I have a traditional scanner and I also also use the Torque app with a Bluetooth adapter.

To the best of my knowledge, the transmission fluid temperature is unavailable on both scanners for my stock setup. Is this true? If so, how can I monitor the tranny fluid temp?

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
depends on how deep your pockets are... i dont know about those apps you have, so i cant comment on those... what is the concern for monitoring your tranny temps? towing alot? or just overall piece of mind? if so, throw a cooler on there and dont worry about it... with my cooler on my 4L70e, i havent seen temps above 180* on a hot 95* day...

theres the basic aeroforce gauge that measures just about everything straight from your computer and is as simple as plugging it into your OBDII port as well as the DashHawk but rather pricey at over $200 for either or... or you can go the bung in the trans pan route (which is how i have mine) then buy a trans temp gauge and go from there... mounting is limited on the I6's, but maybe you could get creative...

Jimbo052

Original poster
Feb 29, 2012
This is the scanner I have and this is the description of Torque. Torque claims that it "can read transmission temperatures (vehicle dependent)." :undecided:

I'm just wondering if our vehicles don't make the transmission fluid temperature available to scanners for some reason. :confused:

Jimbo052

Original poster
Feb 29, 2012
BTW, I do do a fair amount of towing. A cooler would be ideal but unfortunately my pockets are pretty shallow right now. Mainly, I'm just curious why I can't see this temp on my scanners because I think it would be nice to monitor.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
a basic cooler i think is around $50 bucks, but then having to pay for labor to install it if you dont know how... but you can pm member Matt, his screen name is Matt lol.. he has the Torque app as well.. maybe he can help you out some...

mcc

Apr 8, 2012
Jimbo052 said:
This is the scanner I have and this is the description of Torque. Torque claims that it "can read transmission temperatures (vehicle dependent)." :undecided:

I'm just wondering if our vehicles don't make the transmission fluid temperature available to scanners for some reason. :confused:

Torque gives me my transmission temp. First, download the TorqueScan plugin. Then go into it in Torque, Menu->PID Scanner->Menu->Start scan->Ok (leave the default of 'auto').

After a decent amount of time the scan will finish and you'll now get a live transmission fluid temp. You only have to do the above once.

Jimbo052

Original poster
Feb 29, 2012
mcc said:
Torque gives me my transmission temp. First, download the TorqueScan plugin. Then go into it in Torque, Menu->PID Scanner->Menu->Start scan->Ok (leave the default of 'auto').

After a decent amount of time the scan will finish and you'll now get a live transmission fluid temp. You only have to do the above once.

Thanks for this. I didn't know this app existed. I'll try it out in the morning and be sure to report back. :wootwoot:

mcc

Apr 8, 2012
Jimbo052 said:
Thanks for this. I didn't know this app existed. I'll try it out in the morning and be sure to report back. :wootwoot:

It's so useful that I honestly have no idea why Torque Pro doesn't just come with it. I'd check "Faster Communication" in the OBDII adapter settings first if your adapter doesn't have problems with it.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
mcc said:

You don't need torque scan. Doing a scan will take forever. Gm PIDS are already built in.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
To get the GM PID's, open Torque, get into the menu, scroll down to Manage extra PIDs/Sensors, hit the menu button again and press Add predefined set then press Pontiac/GM/Opel/Vauxhall.

deepblue

Dec 5, 2011
Boricua SS said:
throw a cooler on there and dont worry about it... with my cooler on my 4L70e, i havent seen temps above 180* on a hot 95* day...

I added a trany cooler a few weeks ago and see similar temps now.....:thumbsup:

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
gotta love the Nation!!! :grouphug::rotfl:

glad you got it worked out...

Loup

Dec 30, 2014
I have torque and a Micro Mechanic Sender attached to my OBD II port on my trailblazer. I have downloaded the GM PIDs and can see Trans Temp method 2, but it is not green. Do anybody know if this is a limit of the Micro Mechanic bluetooth unit? Do I have to get a more functional reader/scanner like this (BAFX Products BAFX3127 for Bluetooth Diagnostic OBDII Reader/Scanner for Android Devices)?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I have torque and a Micro Mechanic Sender attached to my OBD II port on my trailblazer. I have downloaded the GM PIDs and can see Trans Temp method 2, but it is not green. Do anybody know if this is a limit of the Micro Mechanic bluetooth unit? Do I have to get a more functional reader/scanner like this (BAFX Products BAFX3127 for Bluetooth Diagnostic OBDII Reader/Scanner for Android Devices)?

I forget which one it is that you're supposed to use. If no one answers you in the next couple of hours, I'll take a look on mine when I leave work this afternoon to see which one it is. I run Torque on an Android head unit, with a $5 bluetooth OBDII adapter, and monitor my tranny temp there.

Reactions: Redbeard and Loup

Loup

Dec 30, 2014
I've tried both Trans Fluid Temp method 1 and method 2 and the loaded GM pid's which all show up on Torque, but none of the mew GM pid's that show up on the list of additional gauges are green (populated with data?), and only some of the standard PIDs that come on the Torque program are green (none of the transmission data).
Not sure if it is the micro mechanic reader/scanner/sender unit or the torque program... I've re-started the torque program and pulled and reset the sender after adding the gm codes, yet no difference. I DID notice the transmission fault (lock up not happening...) now shows after I loaded the GM specific PIDs, just can't get live information on Trans Fluid Temp.

Does anybody have the micro mechanic sender unit that can access Transmission temp data?

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Well that is odd. Many of the GM extended pids should work. I will be taking a closer looks at extended pids in the next few days. I will double check today on my 05 Yukon 5.3 and my 02 TrailBlazer 4.2 trans temps.

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Are you using Torque Pro or Torque Lite? Not sure it makes a difference but the Google Play store description from the vendor mentions more support for transmission temperature specifically in the Pro version.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It could be the adapter. My Saab I couldn't read the tranny temps but worked fine in the old TB. Then it was replaced with a new one and the temps worked. Now I need to find another as this latest one won't connect.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.