Transmission Fail? 06 SAAB

Baddawg

Original poster
Sep 24, 2016
Colorado
OK! Background is that I've had my 2006 SAAB 9.7 5.3 AWD for about 2 yrs, 15K miles. Now has about 130K miles on it. Ever since I got it the SAAB has made a clatter on startup that sounds like an exhaust shield rattle. Sometimes makes the same rattle at idle,usually in neutral/park. Did it ever rattle in Drive or Reverse? I THINK so , not really sure now.
The Problem, I stat up, OK, back up, pull through to entrance to road, OK, pull out on to road and No Go. Nothing but the rattle/clatter sound. Almost no pull in Drive, and (CLUE) just enough pull in Reverse to back up off of road into a parking space, where it sits.
What happened? (Almost) No go in any gear, just a little bit of pull, more pull in Reverse than in Drive ... I don't think it could be transfer case /front shafts any of that. Gotta be the Transmission ? Could this be the Torque Converter /flywheel / flex plate ?
Whatdayathink guys? Anybody seen this before?
Thanks!
Rob "baddawgbob"

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
First thing I'd check is trans fluid level and condition.

Baddawg

Original poster
Sep 24, 2016
Colorado
Oh yeah, fluid level is good, fluid is clean but not as red as I would expect. "Professional" advice when I got the car was that it was OK, don't worry. Fluid has not changed level or color - no bad smells .

I see problems of fluid pump destruction on this forum. Hum, maybe could cause the almost no go symptom??

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You would need to drop the pan and check for metal in there for a mechanical failure.

Baddawg

Original poster
Sep 24, 2016
Colorado
Aftermath, maybe this will help someone else. Because it broke down on the road and because of my incompetence it had to go to shop. Yeah the transmission was OK, yeah it was flex plate/torque converter. Shop said flex plate bolts were all backed out and wore the holes in flex plate. New flex plate, new bolts back on the road.
Third time I my life that I've seen the aftermath of some previous guy that just didn't think it was that important to bolt the engine to the drive train. !! Found a few other loose bolts around too.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online