Transmission Cooling line flush? Recommendations Please.

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Posting for a friend. He is installing a new (rebuilt) transmission. He had the sunshell go out as is typical. He wants to flush the lines that go in and out of the radiator. What type of fluid would you recommend for doing this? Mineral spirits? Trans fluid? etc. He will follow it up with compressed air. Thanks for any input. c good

MacMan

Mar 3, 2012
Mineral spirits would work, but be sure to completely blow out everything w/ the compressed air.

If it were me, I'd use some inexpensive trans. fluid just to flush it.....that way if any gets left behind, no issues.

Dec 4, 2011
MacMan said:
Mineral spirits would work, but be sure to completely blow out everything w/ the compressed air.

If it were me, I'd use some inexpensive trans. fluid just to flush it.....that way if any gets left behind, no issues.

Make that 2 recommends for tranny fluid. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
they sell something called transflush in an aerosol container that will forces a solvent through the lines/cooler, breaks up the gook so you can blow it out better with air afterwards. its what trans shops require you to run through your lines for warranty purposes. had to go to a couple of autoparts stores to find it

Dec 4, 2011
jimmyjam said:
they sell something called transflush in an aerosol container that will forces a solvent through the lines/cooler, breaks up the gook so you can blow it out better with air afterwards. its what trans shops require you to run through your lines for warranty purposes. had to go to a couple of autoparts stores to find it

I DID NOT KNOW THAT, thanks for the info. Now another question which way would you flush--normal direction or reverse? :undecided:

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
the directions on the bottle say to use half of the bottle one way, then the other half the other way

Dec 4, 2011
jimmyjam said:
the directions on the bottle say to use half of the bottle one way, then the other half the other way

I think I would try reverse first so that you would drive any particles back from the cooler in radiator and out of the line, then the other direction.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online