Transmission Cooler Install - Connection Pieces

CaptainKD

Original poster
Jan 13, 2012
To connect a transmission cooler, are the brass connection fittings from Home Depot, Menards, Lowes, etc alright to use? The specs on the Hose Barb says the max operating temperature 160 degrees and the fuel line max temp is 175 degrees. Doesn't the transmission fluid operate closer to 200 degrees?

Here's links to the items:
Menards - 3/8" Hose Barb link
Menards - 3/8" Compression Adapter link
Menards - 3/8" Fuel Line

I found the same fittings on Amazon made be Derale (link to product - Derale 13032) but they don't provide any operating specs and are twice the price.

Am I over thinking this - are the fittings all the same thing? Has anyone else used the cheap fittings from a big box store?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Brass should work over those rated temps. I have used brass stuff before without any issues. That Derale part is way overpriced IMHO. And I have used fuel line in the past without any issues but it wouldn't be a bad idea to use the proper type hose.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I forget which line rating you want but I used fuel line the first time around and after a while it swelled and leaked... you want something rated for diesel or better. As for brass, it's brass. It'll be fine.

Reactions: CaptainKD

Instrumental

Jan 29, 2012
DON'T use fuel line. Had the guy at the parts store give me some because it's what the had left when I asked for Transmission. Ended up splitting and dumping my fluid all over the road a few days later. The manager did step up and give me cash for the parts I bought at another place to fix it.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
I personally used one of the pre-made fittings you can buy that plugs into the stock cooler. Stock cooler return to added cooler input. For return I disconnected the return "intermediate pipe" back near the washer box and ran the added cooler output there and just completely removed that section of tubing.

Was a trying project because my aftermarket cooler is 11x11 iirc and it BARELY fit and required trimming of the header panel and took a lot of cooler line to get back to the intermediate fitting.

To recap, that gave me a barbed fitting at both sides for the hose connections. One aftermarket and one that was already there. And the fitting I used leaked at first but took out and reseated and it was fine.

Fitting I used - Hayden Automotive 397 Transmission Line Fitting Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EPRCAC/?tag=gmtnation-20

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
+1 on the Hayden fitting, I used one the same way. I opted to connect my hose directly to the stock return line, and even with 1/2" ID tubing, and a little ATF as lube, it was a royal pain to get it on far enough for the clamp to fully seat on it. It's been solid for over a year now, with no leaks though.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online