Transmission coolant temperature, gauges and data

GarbeVic

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
I copied information from several of my postings on the TrailVoy site into this new thread because I think the information will be useful to anyone towing a trailer.

The idea of using a code readout device (like the ScanGaugeII) to see the tranmission temperature is a very good idea, and should be considered before going to the trouble of installing a gauge. The ScanGaugeIIis also multi-purpose, reads codes and shows lots of data values..

But since I did not know about the ScanGaugeII 5 years ago, I put in a gauge. In case you (or others) are thinking of that, here are two pics of the transmission temperature gauge I mounted on my dashboard. I used sticky-back velcro so the annual inspection mechanic could move the gauge to get at the stickers. It does not look bad, IMO (but then, I'm an engineer with a function-over-form mindset :smile:.

View attachment 17361

View attachment 17360

I placed the sensor in the OUTGOING line TO the radiator. Did not have an aftermarket cooler at the time (I do now). Tow a camping trailer in summer, seldom get temp.s in the yellow (that's about 220 degF going TO the radiator). this year I changed all 12 or so quarts of fluid; plan to do that every 2 years.

The first two photos above show the gauge installation on the dashboard. The second two photos below show the hookup in the transmission cooling line. I chose to put the sensor in the HOT line going TO the transmission because I wanted to see the highest temperatures that the fluid experiences. These photos were taken about 3000 miles after re-doing the lines. (I had the cooling line rust through problem, separate threads about that issue.)

View attachment 17362

View attachment 17363

Photos show how poorly compression fittings do in this application. (It came with the gauge kit.) If it gets any messier, I will look for a better way...

The troubles experienced by myself and others with compression fittings in the transmission cooling lines are described in other posts on the Traivoy forum (may not have been copied to this forumm yet). Hope links below still work:

Transmission cooling line replacement (due to rust through issue):
http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=74948

Installation of auxiliary transmission fluid coolers. There are multiple threads on the subject, lots to read. Here's one to start:
http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=73742

If I recall correctly, the trouble with using brass compression fittings stems from the heat-up and cool-down each time the vehicle is used. The brass fitting and its ferrulls (rings) are a different material than the steel lines. The metals expand differently. Over time, this is thought to cause the leaking. Just tightening it risks stripping threads or twisting the steel line. When I tried tightening my fitting a few years after installing on the old, original lines, the line twisted, cracked and leaked more. I understand flare fittings are better, but a tool is needed to make the flare on a line you cut into.

On that _other_ forum, someone asked why my temperature was so high. My 220 degF is on the OUTGOING line TO the radiator and aux. cooler. I gives the hottest temperature in the system. I did that on purpose, because I read somewhere that if the fluid ever experiences temperatures above 250 degF or so it will burn. So seeing the temperature of the burnt-then-cooled fluid seemed less useful. If the actual burn temperature is not 250 degF, someone please post the correct value.

BTW, in December 2010 I received the Scangauge II OBDC code reader that others have mentioned as a present. If I had known of it 6 years ago, I would not have done the dashboard gauge. So now I will be able to get both temperatures: before cooling (on the dashboard gauge) and after cooling going back into the transmission - I think that is what the OBDC II reader will give me - If anyone knows better, please post.

I created a spreadsheet to record BOTH values after making long trips. I will post that in this thread separately.

Attachments

• Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 27
  • Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 32
  • Image3.jpg
    Image3.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 28
  • Image4.JPG
    Image4.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 29

GarbeVic

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
As promised, below is a screen shot of a spreadsheet with data taken at the END of several long drives with substantial load in the car, or in tow behind.

Trailer is a hybrid camper, 3700 lb dry, likely 4500 lbs loaded. I had data from a truck scale posted over on TrailVoy. I'll try to copy that when i get more time.) Only two short camping trips this spast summer due to work demands. :frown:

All engine temperatures were recorded at the end of the trip, immediately after stopping, engine still running.

I was glad to see it did not get near the 250 degF limit where it can get "burned". I do not recall where I read that number, so if anyone out there knows a reliable source where we can read about the subject, please point us all to it (maybe a link in this thread?).

Hope this data is useful...

View attachment 17430

Attachments

• TempLog.JPG
    TempLog.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 57
Reactions: Bow_Tied

tblazerdude

Dec 4, 2011
GarbeVic said:
So now I will be able to get both temperatures: before cooling (on the dashboard gauge) and after cooling going back into the transmission - I think that is what the OBDC II reader will give me - If anyone knows better, please post.

I think his data suggests something different then his hypothesis.

GarbeVic

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
SBUBandit and tblazerdude:
Thanks for your thoughts. Made me look at the numbers again. I think they still make sense, though...

I believe the path the transmission fluid flows in a stock setup tends to drive the transmission fluid temperature toward the engine coolant temperature. This is because the stock transmission cooler is a fluid-to-fluid heat exchanger built into the bottom of the engine radiator. "Cooling" is only the DIFFERENCE between the transmission fluid and engine coolant temperatures. This operates both ways: helps get the tramsission fluid UP to temperature on cold days. On hot days under heavy load, the stock arrangement cools the transmission fluid, but not real well, since coolant runs around 200 to 210 degF and the DIFFERENCE is not great. That is why many add the aux. cooler for trailer towing. Those aux. coolers are not imersed in hot engine coolant, so the temperature difference is greater (ambient-to-hot fluid).

The values I recorded on 6/30 and 7/4 show the type of results I was expecting due to my new aux. cooler.

The dashboard guage may just be inaccurate. This week, I did a long drive in cold weather. I noticed it took a long time for the dashboard guage to start moving upward, and it never got as hot as the transmission internal temperature shown on the ScanGuage. Since it DOES move, i do not think there is a connection issue. I may just be very inacurate :-(

I'll post more data from that cold weather drive in a separate reply...

Bow_Tied

Dec 21, 2014
London, ON

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You probably won't hear from him. He hasn't logged on in over a year.

Bow_Tied

Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
Ya, I was hoping...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online