transfer case question

steveO

Original poster
Apr 6, 2012
Is there a difference where the two pin plugs go they are not keyed so they can be installed in any of the sockets ? I would have marked them but never expected that they would use the same plug on the harness without keying them individually.

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
I have looked online and in all data. I can't seem to get a clear answer. I see two 2 pin plugs the are for shaft speed sensor front and rear? But not a picture of the location. Don't the wires kinda kay in the direction of the sensor they go to? Usually in these situations the wire length can tell the story. Also you could just try it, and switch then if wrong?

steveO

Original poster
Apr 6, 2012
Thanks for looking... I did as you suggested and have the plugs in based on the wire length there is two at the top that are very close to each other and either one could fit the top sensor.
I finally did find what I thought was the info I needed on my computer, but it does not address the top plugs. There is two pin plug and socket combo above the unit along with the large connector which goes to the servo.

Both plugs in question that are located on the transfer case are for propeller shaft speed sensors so I wouldn't have burned up anything if I had reversed them.

The plug with Lt Blue / Dark Green wires / Goes up top right rear of the case
The plug with Yellow / Purple wires / Goes for the front of the case
By process of elimination the remaining two a socket and a plug must go together.. there is no other place for them to go.

I attached what I had for info in case it might be useful for others

Thanks Again !

steveO

Original poster
Apr 6, 2012
Up date to above...I'm unable to edit the post.

The beast has three to pin sockets on it !
I found this picture of it

Attachments

• Envoy Trasfer case A.gif
    Envoy Trasfer case A.gif
    13.4 KB · Views: 9

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Of the two sensors on the rear, one goes to the TCCM, which needs to compare the front shaft RPM to the rear shaft RPM in A4WD mode to detect slippage. The other one goes to the PCM, and in a 2WD vehicle without a transfer case, the harness connects to a sensor on the tailpiece of the transmission, which is replaced by the transfer case in a 4WD truck. The sensors are the same part number, and I expect you can interchange the harnesses on the rear of the transfer case and it won't matter.

steveO

Original poster
Apr 6, 2012
Thanks....it is unusual for there to be three of the same plugs without being keyed in some way...
Shame on me I should have marked them!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online