Transfer case output shaft seal

tblazerdude

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
After living in FL for years, I have returned to Illinois. This has been hell on most of the seals in the truck. First, the front differential started a slow leak. Nothing major, and it can wait until summer to fix. 2nd, the top radiator hose started to seep slightly (it's a Jett Stream one) and I tightened the clamp and it has slowed the leak. You would think hot weather would be harder on the coolant hoses. 3rd, and the issue I came to address, is the Transfer case. It has developed quite the leak, every 1000k or so a quart leaks out. It seems to be the rear output shaft seal (tailshaft seal). I called the dealership and they wanted $71.00 for the seal, I'm sure I can get that for cheaper. I went to GMpartsdirect.com and sure enough the seal is $41.00. Im sure this is a pretty straight forward seal swap, however has anyone ever done this? Is this a common place for the transfer case to leak? Any tips from anyone else who has replaced the transfer case output tailshaft seal?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I haven't done it, but it does indeed look easy. Using a screwdriver on the seal instead of needing to have the shaft out to use a seal puller/slide hammer was a nice bone they threw us, compared to some other bonehead designs.

View attachment 18048

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 84
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 84

tblazerdude

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
As usual, Thank you Roadie. You always come through. The seal has been shipped, I hope it's here Monday. I'm sick of topping off the transfer case. Autotrack II is becoming quite the expense! :thumbsup:

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
I need to make sure my transfer case is topped off, whats the best way to get the fluid into the case? I know it sound like a dumb question, but I would rather ask a dumb sounding question than make it harder than it has to be or worse yet, do something dumb.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
You've never changed the fluid yet? Anyway, they sell screw caps for those sorts of bottles with tubes to squeeze it in, or the more universal solution is the fluid transfer pumps that Harbor Freight and all the parts stores sell.

View attachment 18098

Another piece of advice I need to repeat is: EVERYBODY should just go out to their local Harbor Freight AND auto parts store when it's NOT an emergency situation, when you have an hour or two to just browse. It's not a "girly thing" to be browsing if you're in a tool store. :yes: Go up and down EVERY SINGLE AISLE and familiarize yourself with the tools, accessories, and fasteners they keep in stock. Unless you're already a tool geek, I guarantee you'll discover dozens of items you have no current need for, but you have to remember that they exist. Then when you have a specific problem, you'll know if there's a solution already out there.

Attachments

• 3316152_lg.jpg
    3316152_lg.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 67

tblazerdude

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
To top it off, I used something that looks like this.
Oil%20Can.jpg

I bought it at ace hardware for $12.00. It might not be ideal for a full flush and refill, but for adding a 1/2 qt it works fine, and it's pretty cheap. I also have that exact pump roadie has displayed, which I would recommend for a full flush and fill. Remember every 50k mi. for transfer case; or less if use your 4WD frequently or in extreme conditions. I paid $8.99 a Qt for Auto-Trak II at my local dealer. It holds 2 Qt.

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Thanks for the help. I just took it to Tuffy and they did it for me for $10(I had the fluid), money well spent so I don't have to climb under my truck in the snow(other places tried to charge $50-100 :crazy:, but I wasn't bending over for them). I haven't changed it because I'm not at 50K yet. I'll need to change the fluid before next winter. I was 3/4 of a quart low.

davenay67

Jan 16, 2012
the roadie said:
Another piece of advice I need to repeat is: EVERYBODY should just go out to their local Harbor Freight AND auto parts store when it's NOT an emergency situation, when you have an hour or two to just browse. It's not a "girly thing" to be browsing if you're in a tool store. :yes: Go up and down EVERY SINGLE AISLE and familiarize yourself with the tools, accessories, and fasteners they keep in stock. Unless you're already a tool geek, I guarantee you'll discover dozens of items you have no current need for, but you have to remember that they exist. Then when you have a specific problem, you'll know if there's a solution already out there.

I do this already, but my problem is that I buy everything I see that I think to myself "that's a cool tool, I know I will need that someday".

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher