Transfer Case help. 4x4 not working

Smartwick08

Original poster
Nov 27, 2015
ND
Was wondering what I should be expecting to be wrong with the transfer case. Or if I should just get rid of the car which I don't really want to do. But it needs 2 CV axles plus bearing in 4wd disconnect is starting to get play in it.

I jack up front passenger tire, with it in 4 Hi and it turns the front drive shaft, there is a little resistance but not much. Is it something that a simple rebuild kit would take care of or what do you experts think I will need to replace in the transfer case? Can't really afford 1200 for a new transfer case

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
We need vehicle information such as what are we working with? Mileage? History? What led up to this. It appears lack of maintenance is what has brought you here. Have you tried searching the site for this information?

Smartwick08

Original poster
Nov 27, 2015
ND
Oh srry it asked when I did my profile. 153k miles on an 03 trailblazer ext with the 4x4 with knob selector. Reason I'm dealing with it is cause something called marriage. Wife and her dad didn't do much besides taking it to a friends shop to have fluids changed and rather it was more then just oil I would be suprised. It's very likely its factory oil in it still. Planning on changing oil in transfer case next week when it warms up . I've tried looking up on the forum but just not having luck finding the right thread

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas

Daniel417

Oct 14, 2015
Joplin
If front drive shaft turns in 4hi then it is a problem in transfer case.
Check for
Encoder motor
Or internal failure
If the front shaft doesn't rotate and the passenger Cv rotates then it's in the disconnect.
check for
actuator
broken guide pin on engagement fork

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online