Transfer Case front output shaft seal

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Mine's leaking badly on my TB. Anyone ever do one of these before? It looks like a simple seal similar to an axle seal.

Pretty strange that it just started leaking like this when I haven't used the 4x4 system a whole lot and only has 107k km. The Saab with AWD and my old 02 TB with over 300k never leaked.

Oh, and the Stealer wants to rape me for $102 + taxes for this seal. Looked it up on RA and it's $8.83 + $8.78 shipping to Canada. Amazon.ca has them for $26.91 which would be faster with free 2 day shipping. I can wait since I have my own loaners we can drive :biggrin:.IMG_20180924_160051.jpg

Last edited:

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Pulled the front driveshaft and the seal on the transfer case. Quite similar looking to an axle seal and came out the same way. Now waiting for the new seal to arrive.
IMG_20180927_165427.jpg

Reactions: C-ya

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I thought the same thing and there was an oh-so-slight up and down play, barely felt.

One thing though, the oil in it was definitely not blue smurf blood. It looked and smelled more like dirty power steering fluid. I saw the original work order that at about 80k km it just said something about replacing gear oil but no component specified. Unless it was brake fluid, I don't see this as a factor in the leak.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Got it done. Used a piece of exhaust pipe to drive it in. Put the spline seal on, greased up the splines and yoke, slipped the yoke on, bolted up the straps for the straps on the front u-joint. Fairly simple affair.

Before filling the case, I pulled the rear shaft and greased up the splines for that yoke to hopefully eliminate the thump when coming to a stop. Filling the case was fun, NOT! The fairly new suction gun I was using decided to leak out and made a mess down my arm :mad:. I couldn't find my 25 year old one that worked perfectly so had to use a nipple on the bottle. Got it done with a minor oil slick in the driveway and I was out of absorbent stuff. Will go to dollar store for some kitty litter.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Should have used the weed sprayer mod :tongue:

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I have it but it's full of gear oil.

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
When I first did the TC fluid change I was in a buddy's shop with a sump. SO bloody easy! This last time I had ramps.... With the front on the ramps, the fill plug had fluid pouring out. Ramps in the back and you cant measure level so I just put as much out of 2 liters as I didn't spill. The suction gun is as awkward as I was in high school. I used an ill fitting soap pump on the bottle, which worked... took 1000 pumps and a steady stream leaking down my arm.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I have it but it's full of gear oil.

Buy a second one. I got a 2 pack from Menards. One has gear oil, the other has trans fluid (my Silverado uses regular ATF in its transfer case).

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I did even better. Just picked one up at a neighbour's who was moving for free. Worth it for each kind of lube. You could re-use smaller ones for Roundup after cleaning it out properly. And being smaller, you can pump it to a higher pressure too.

Power steering fluid would also be handy since you wouldn't need a funnel and can precisely put in proper amount.

Reactions: xavierny25

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online