Transfer case dead

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
View attachment 24222

I would check the heater hoses.

or just plan to change them when life eases up. (assuming you can keep fluid level ahead of the leak)

Attachments

• hoses-pipes-heater-ts0813101.jpg
    hoses-pipes-heater-ts0813101.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 7

03envoy

Dec 25, 2011
So What would you guys suggest if you were to check the transfer case and It is low on fluid? Just leave it? or slowly build the fluid up to the proper level? Cause I am really not aware of the vechical history other than it wasnt pushed hard and pretty well kept. I am at 115,610 now.....

Didnt mean to hijack. Just didnt want to start a new thread.... Sorry

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
03envoy said:
So What would you guys suggest if you were to check the transfer case and It is low on fluid? Just leave it? or slowly build the fluid up to the proper level? Cause I am really not aware of the vechical history other than it wasnt pushed hard and pretty well kept. I am at 115,610 now.....
Is this a hijack? :no: If you don't know the history, IMMEDIATELY change all fluids. TC is every 50K. If it's low, don't delay. No benefit to "slowly" build it up. Change it and put it at the right level.

03envoy

Dec 25, 2011
the roadie said:
Is this a hijack? :no: If you don't know the history, IMMEDIATELY change all fluids. TC is every 50K. If it's low, don't delay. No benefit to "slowly" build it up. Change it and put it at the right level.

I am goin to check it tomorrow. So if its dry (Praying its not). Will I be in the same boat as Sparky?

Sparky

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
NJTB said:
Just went out and looked at mine, it aint there (the heater control valve, guess they eliminated them). They used to be on the inlet to the heater core on the firewall side, and if they leaked it would drip on the catalytic converter area.
Don't forget, antifreeze could drip down a hose and the leak may be some distance from where you could see it. If the top of the bellhousing is dry but you see wetness on the side, it almost has to be one of the heater hoses or connections. Any chance you could get it on a set of ramps and look from underneath?
If you get the pressure tester, the engine don't have to be running for it to leak. Maybe Autozone lends/rents them?

That's the plan is to get it up high enough on ramps or stands so I can check it out, but it won't be for several days. Work is going to keep me busy. I know, I'm here posting again, but bear in mind I have no garage or lighted space outdoors to do stuff, so once it is dark that's it.

meerschm said:
I would check the heater hoses.

or just plan to change them when life eases up. (assuming you can keep fluid level ahead of the leak)

Well it isn't leaking that fast. I have driven 50 miles since yesterday and the level in the bottle hasn't dropped too far. I'll just carry a jug of antifreeze with me and top off as needed until I can actually get under the thing and look at it.

03envoy said:
I am goin to check it tomorrow. So if its dry (Praying its not). Will I be in the same boat as Sparky?

In my case I was able to just fix the leak and fill it up. I have no idea how it didn't fry itself, but the case still works fine :eek: If your case is low then expect to fill it, drive it a few miles, then check for leaks. Odds are if the case leaks it is going to be from a shaft seal. But don't do what I did and assume it is just a failed seal - check the U joints and the yokes to be sure the seal isn't failing because of something else bashing the seal to death.

yar02169

Apr 12, 2012
Sparky, almost a month has passed, have you been able to find anything regarding your drip(s)?

Sparky

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Oh sorry forgot to update this.

The coolant fitting coming off the engine block on the passenger side where the heater hose attaches had corroded or rusted so that needed replaced. My transfer case still seeps slightly because of the pitted slip yoke, but it is so slow it isn't worth spending the money on a new slip yoke. That $150+ can buy a whole ton of fluid :tongue: I'll just check it and top it off every so often.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online