Trans swap

Cthornburg1972

Original poster
Feb 6, 2020
Florida
Ok here it goes. Does anyone know if I take the trans out of an 02 shorty wheel drive TB will it bolt in a 04 ext TB 4x4. Such as the the output shaft.
Son fried his going to pull the bad one and have it rebuilt to put into my ext before I have any tranny issues.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If you meant to say a 2 wheel drive trans into the 4x4 truck, that's a hard no unless the tranny shop has a spare output shaft and 4x4 mounting flange. Otherwise, they are the same.

Cthornburg1972

Original poster
Feb 6, 2020
Florida
If you meant to say a 2 wheel drive trans into the 4x4 truck, that's a hard no unless the tranny shop has a spare output shaft and 4x4 mounting flange. Otherwise, they are the same.
Yeah, meant to say 2 wheel drive to 4x4. Bit could I reuse the the output shaft ? Mounting flange i am assuming I could reuse my old one. Or would it be better to just get it all new when I get the old one rebuilt?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You literally have to take the whole tranny apart to do that, which is why you would change the output shaft at that time. It comes out from the front of the tranny, not the back, after pulling out all the clutches and drums.

Cthornburg1972

Original poster
Feb 6, 2020
Florida
You literally have to take the whole tranny apart to do that, which is why you would change the output shaft at that time. It comes out from the front of the tranny, not the back, after pulling out all the clutches and drums.
Thanks. That helps me quite a bit. Now I have a direction to go in.

matermark

Nov 3, 2020
Niagara Falls NY
I understand the OP's problem, can't use a 2wd in a 4wd without tearing it apart, but is there any difference between 6 cyl models and V8's or is it just swapping bellhousings? I'm in a similar position, with a V8 4wd Envoy and was wondering if I could use a Trailblazer I6 4wd trans or a C/K fullsize 4wd trans like a Silverado/Sierra... mine is an 04. Thanks.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I just answered the same question on the Facebook group.. odd

The Torque coverters are different, and have a different stall. I am not sure if they are interchangeable thou.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It helps add @ in front of a user name, like this:
@TollKeeper
That way they get a notification they were mentioned.

Reactions: matermark

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I am in both the XUV group, and the regular trailblazer

@Mooseman - He quoted me, so I still got the notification.. :smile:

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
@matermark - I did 2 months ago.. Some guy in New Jersey/York that thinks he is Mr Know it all..

Reactions: matermark

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online