Trans Pan w/Drain Plug *need advice*

hockeyman

Original poster
Aug 26, 2012
I have a 2003 Envoy Xl with the deep pan, and I'm asking here to see anyone knows if I have the correct part number(s) for the deep transmission pan with the drain plug?
The pan I'm looking to order is through RockAuto, and the Dorman part numbers I have are: 24229658 and 24240207. The description doesn't say if it's for a deep pan or not. I could call, but I've talked to them once before (for a different vehicle) and still got very different exhaust parts delivered.

Anyhoo, the plan is install it once the weather starts getting warmer, then to flush and replace the trans fluid once per year thereafter. The pan was removed and a new filter was installed in November of 2012, but it wasn't a "complete" flush...it was only a pan drop/drain/install/refill. I'd like to keep doing a partial drain & fill with the drain plug a few more times to try and get new fluid throughout the system. Also, when I'm installing the new pan (with drain spout), I'm going to install another new trans filter -just because...

Called two local dealerships last year for a quote on a complete flush, and both quotes were over $300 without a new filter. I was looking at prices around $360 with a new filter.

Needless to say...I'd rather just do it myself and install a new pan & filter while I'm under there. Dealerships near me are a ripoff!!

eutechnyx

Mar 31, 2012
The pan I just bought was dorman 265-811 it is supposed to be the deep pan replacement and uses a deep pan filter.

BoldAdventure

Jun 28, 2012
I bought one of these, works well. You can probably find it for a better price, I paid $140.00.

[EBAY]271187957361[/EBAY]

hockeyman

Original poster
Aug 26, 2012
eutechnyx said:
The pan I just bought was dorman 265-811 it is supposed to be the deep pan replacement and uses a deep pan filter.

I assume you've bought and haven't received it yet? If so, please let me know once it arrives.

mikekey said:
I bought one of these, works well. You can probably find it for a better price, I paid $140.00.

[EBAY]271187957361[/EBAY]

That's really nice, but I honestly do not want to spend that kind of money on a trans oil pan. The one listed on rockauto is around $37, plus s/h.

BoldAdventure

Jun 28, 2012
hockeyman said:
I assume you've bought and haven't received it yet? If so, please let me know once it arrives.

That's really nice, but I honestly do not want to spend that kind of money on a trans oil pan. The one listed on rockauto is around $37, plus s/h.

You can even get a plug and DIY for pretty cheap yourself. I was just mentioning what I ended up doing, do what works best for you and your budget. :thumbsup:

hockeyman

Original poster
Aug 26, 2012
mikekey said:
You can even get a plug and DIY for pretty cheap yourself. I was just mentioning what I ended up doing, do what works best for you and your budget. :thumbsup:

I understand, and appreciate your info. Actually, I would like to get one of them because it adds a bit more fluid to the trans and it has cooling fins built on the pan. If all else falls through, I'll buy one.

Honestly, I do not want to try a plug and DIY kit. If something goes wrong and the plug doesn't seal properly, I'm "up-the-creek" and without a replacement. When I do any kind of projects on any of my vehicles, I try to be as over-prepared as possible.

Oh, and if possible, please send some of that warm FL weather up this way! :biggrin:

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
hockeyman said:
Honestly, I do not want to try a plug and DIY kit. If something goes wrong and the plug doesn't seal properly, I'm "up-the-creek" and without a replacement.
I think we all felt that way at one time. Here is a suggestion. If you want to try to install the plug and kit (to say you did it and to built confidence for larger jobs), buy a new pan from a company that will let you return it. Remove your old pan and tackle the plug and kit install. It will probably go well and you can sit back and say look at want I just did. Worse case, if you happen to screw up, you have a new pan, in a box, ready to go. If you don't need to use the new pan, return it.

BoldAdventure

Jun 28, 2012
RayVoy said:
I think we all felt that way at one time. Here is a suggestion. If you want to try to install the plug and kit (to say you did it and to built confidence for larger jobs), buy a new pan from a company that will let you return it. Remove your old pan and tackle the plug and kit install. It will probably go well and you can sit back and say look at want I just did. Worse case, if you happen to screw up, you have a new pan, in a box, ready to go. If you don't need to use the new pan, return it.

Don't quote me becuase I'm only positive about the 700R4, but I'm pretty confident that the 4L60E pan is the same across multiple vehicles. A replacement should be cheap.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
I have the 265-811 sitting in my garage waiting for a nice weekend. I can measure if need be. Amazon is cheaper btw. It was like $39 shipped with prime iirc.

hockeyman

Original poster
Aug 26, 2012
blazinlow89 said:
I have the 265-811 sitting in my garage waiting for a nice weekend. I can measure if need be. Amazon is cheaper btw. It was like $39 shipped with prime iirc.

If you wouldn't mind & when you get a chance, please measure the depth to see if it's a match with your stock (deep) pan.
There's no hurry to do the job because I really do not want to by laying on a cold concrete ground...especially with recent back surgery. I would just like to have 100% of everything needed when I am ready to tackle it during the warmer months.

RayVoy:
That's a good idea, but I think I'm just going to opt for the $43 pan from amazon or RockAuto. Whichever one is cheaper when I'm ready to buy. But 'Thank You' anyways :thumbsup:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rgoldwing54

Members Online