SOLVED! Trans oil cooler line connector issue

S13Hitman

Original poster
Oct 20, 2017
Hilton Head
Pulled a radiator from a 2004 TB at the junkyard. I pulled one that looked as if it had been replaced, plastic still shiny. It's going into my 02 TB.

Looks identical and it is, except for where the trans oil cooler lines go in. The screw insert is slightly smaller in the trans cooler. I have to find the metal connectors that will fit or figure something else out. This is my only vehicle the and the junkyard is an hour away or I would just go there and grab the hard lines to just switch out.

Does the local parts store carry these things? Attached is a pic of me screwing the hardline into the OLD radiator, no problem.

Attachments

• TB old rad.jpg
    TB old rad.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 20

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Without knowing the thread size of the inserts that are supposed to go in there, it may be difficult to source replacements. Since you said it looks like it was a replacement radiator, and the obvious issue with the cooler inserts, is there anything on there that gives you a clue what brand it is? Maybe you can find out the specs online somewhere, if you can figure out who made it, and then find replacement fittings for it.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You're not supposed to unscrew those. There is a clip that you need to remove and the line pulls out of the metal part.

Reactions: mrrsm

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Dorman 800619 or 800721 should be the part you need (they are for my 2003 Envoy, which is what I used to look these up on Rock.)

The second one is listed for an 'SLE', but GM didn't make different size cooler lines / fittings, based on trim level. That being said, I listed both for you. The first one (800619) looks like the better option, IMO, but if you bought both and took the one you didn't need back, that would work, too.

Whichever ones you get, make sure they're listed as the 'radiator side'; there are ones that are listed for the 'transmission side'; those are at the opposite end (but they look almost alike).

There's an o-ring on the side that screws into the radiator, and some of them look like they have sealant on them (some white; some yellow; depends on brand). If you have teflon tape, that may make the seal, at least temporarily.

S13Hitman

Original poster
Oct 20, 2017
Hilton Head
I just ordered Dorman 800619 from Amazon but shipping may be delayed. Going to try Autozone when I can get a ride there as well.

And yes Mooseman, I know your right. I had tried removing the clips at the junkyard and cut my hand with a little pick. At that point, I decided to go for the nut. Now I regret that decision. Surely the fittings would be the same... Nope...

However, even with the new fitting, I have a feeling the newer style rad may not accept them. I hope that's not the case.

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I have noticed a difference of those connectors between the OEM and aftermarket rads so who knows what will fit. This subject has come up before but my Google-fu is weak right now.

Maybe go back to the yard and truck where you got that rad from and get the connectors. Cut the lines if you have to. That would be your best bet if they haven't crushed it yet. There is a tool specific to these clips. It was discussed here for a couple of posts in this thread.

Reactions: mrrsm and Mounce

S13Hitman

Original poster
Oct 20, 2017
Hilton Head
I have noticed a difference of those connectors between the OEM and aftermarket rads so who knows what will fit. This subject has come up before but my Google-fu is weak right now.

Maybe go back to the yard and truck where you got that rad from and get the connectors. Cut the lines if you have to. That would be your best bet if they haven't crushed it yet. There is a tool specific to these clips. It was discussed here for a couple of posts in this thread.

I have a feeling that I might need to go back to that yard to get those fittings but it's an hour away and I'll have to ask a friend for a favor during this crazy virus scare. So it's not ideal but may be the only option. Hopefully nobody trashes the fittings prior.

matermark

Nov 3, 2020
Niagara Falls NY
Dorman 800619 or 800721 should be the part you need (they are for my 2003 Envoy, which is what I used to look these up on Rock.)

The second one is listed for an 'SLE', but GM didn't make different size cooler lines / fittings, based on trim level. That being said, I listed both for you. The first one (800619) looks like the better option, IMO, but if you bought both and took the one you didn't need back, that would work, too.

Whichever ones you get, make sure they're listed as the 'radiator side'; there are ones that are listed for the 'transmission side'; those are at the opposite end (but they look almost alike).

There's an o-ring on the side that screws into the radiator, and some of them look like they have sealant on them (some white; some yellow; depends on brand). If you have teflon tape, that may make the seal, at least temporarily.
I think the SLE being the cheaper version of the SLE/SLT, had different A/C than the SLT... the SLT had the dual automatic digital dash control, while the SLE had two slider levers. Maybe the radiator was heavier duty in the SLT or was thicker; this could have used different lines up front. The Rock Auto listing listed the GM/AC Delco line with a specific # if you had option CJ2, "AIR CONDITIONER FRT, AUTO TEMP CONT, AUX TEMP CONT." Hope this helps.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The only difference is between LWB and SWB where the LWB has rear A/C. Didn't matter if either was auto or manual systems. Even the front plenum is the same. Radiators are also the same. The only difference is between the I6 and V8.

matermark

Nov 3, 2020
Niagara Falls NY
The only difference is between LWB and SWB where the LWB has rear A/C. Didn't matter if either was auto or manual systems. Even the front plenum is the same. Radiators are also the same. The only difference is between the I6 and V8.
Maybe on TB's but Envoys? The XUV has 129" WB and NO rear A/C. But the SLT has CJ2 and just the rear A/C at the end of the console--no further. My post was aimed at the lines not fittings, and here's the CJ2 reference...

ANOTHER THING: Why does Dorman list 3 line sections but AC Delco lists 4? Is Dorman missing a 4th section or does one include 2 pcs? (longer?)

Attachments

• translineCapture.JPG
    translineCapture.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The XUV is likely the exception to that rule. @TollKeeper can probably confirm about the rear A/C.

As for Dorman, maybe RA doesn't have it in stock or just don't have it. Dorman's site may have better info. Either way, at least they're still available.

matermark

Nov 3, 2020
Niagara Falls NY
The XUV is likely the exception to that rule. @TollKeeper can probably confirm about the rear A/C.

As for Dorman, maybe RA doesn't have it in stock or just don't have it. Dorman's site may have better info. Either way, at least they're still available.
I checked Dorman's site and for some reason, they only list 3 lines for the V8. So I ordered the AC Delco lines (4.) I also ordered the low-profile Lisle brand tool, #22930. I should have looked at Amazon, I would have saved some money on shipping--Rock Auto incurred a 2nd shipping charge coming from a different warehouse than the lines...

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I haven't used that particular tool, but I honestly don't know how that tool makes the job easier. I think the biggest worry is losing one of those spring clips, I would have 1 or 2 as a backup.

I used a pick to lift the tab and pull the clip out, being very careful to keep it from taking flight.

I would cut a piece of hose lengthwise and place it over the line if you need any grip, they usually just pull right out with some light wiggling.

matermark

Nov 3, 2020
Niagara Falls NY
That tool looks really small too. I guess the small semi-circles, when the tool is closed around the tube, slips inside the rad or trans fitting and when twisted it expands the clip so you can pull out the tube. If it works that easily, it may help on the transmission end of the lines.
Yep, I ordered an extra clip and an extra fitting with clip to practice on indoors...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online