Trans Longevity

Shaw520

Original poster
Sep 20, 2017
Northeast
So we're all well aware that our tb's and envoy's can go 200k miles plus,.and in some cases 300k+... But it seems the trannys rarely hold up to the potential miles that the rest of the vehicle is capable. So i thought id start a thread on just transmissions, how many miles have you gotten on your 4L60E,.. and whats been done to it. Ill start by saying that my 05 has 143k miles and to my knowledge fluid/filter has never been changed till now.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
My '02 (RIP) had brown skunky fluid when I got it in 2011 along with a knocking engine. IIRC, it had about 190k Km. Initially did a fluid change at that time, then later on added a cooler and then a code buster shift kit with PWM eliminator, minus the 'Vette servo. I must have done something wrong because it had a brutal 1-2 shift. Then I had an impromptu fluid change in 2014 when the line blew off the cooler in -30c. It lasted till last year when the tranny died at 302k km. I beat the snot out of it, occasionally towing heavy loads.

The '06 Saab has been good. Did a flush but the fluid was still in OK condition. Added a cooler. No shift kit but I did have PWM tuned out. Approaching 200K km but I haven`t been driving it lately.

My `07 TB I recently got. All I've done so far is add a cooler (see a pattern here?) and tuned out PWM. Also had shift firmness increased. Not sure yet if I'll bother with a kit for this one. PWM had been eliminated so no wear on the TCC valve. It's just nearing 100k km.

Ilikemy3s

Dec 3, 2011
My 04 Envoy XL had 36K miles on the clock when i bought it in 07. Did the recommended fluids swaps and what not. Tans went about 80k miles. Had a new (not rebuilt) trans put in with all the GM updates/ fixes to it. supposedly done. That one lasted for 170k miles until i totaled the truck by trying to occupy the same space as a unitlity pole on a snow covered road during a storm. All those miles it shifted and worked great. My current 05 TB i got with 85Kmiles on the meter and not have 145k. Did a fluid and filter swap when I first got it (previous owner did one at 60K) and recently did another. So far so good and running strong.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I've had three of these 4L60E transmissions.

98 Camaro, now in a 99 Camaro - Trans has around 175k on it. Had TCC slipping issues but fixed that with a Transgo kit.
02 Trailblazer - trans (and engine) had 215k when I got rid of the vehicle, no problems. I had installed a Transgo kit as preventative.
07 Silverado - currently has 171k on it. Installed a Transgo kit as preventative.

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
MY '03 TB had 161k on it when I sold it. I towed a small travel trailer, about 3500# with it for 7 of the years I had it. The last year I towed a bigger trailer that weighed in at about 4500#. Transmission was solid. I bought it at 45k and changed the fluid every 50k. I used only Dex VI as is the recommendation from GM for all older transmissions that were shipped with DEX III.

I did put a trans cooler on when I started towing the bigger trailer. I also put a Trans-go shift kit in at the same time to fix the kinks in shifting.

My current Sierra has the same 4L60E with 140k on it. I've only done regular fluid changes. Transmission is fine.

Reactions: Shaw520

Jul 24, 2012
This video

I got 235,000 miles on my transmission. 18 months ago the 3-4 clutch pack went, and I finally have gotten around to pulling the transmission. I hope to have it back on the road for fishing season next year.

My transmission cooler lines were the first things to go. There is a cooler in the radiator, and there are two lines that have two sections each, and they rotted out, which is not uncommon.

About a year before the 3-4 clutch pack went, the torque converter clutch (TCC) went, and the shifting got ugly, so I did the valve body work with a Transgo shift kit while the transmission was still in the truck.

You are right the truck should go 300,000 with some maintenance. I have a new daily driver, and I'm rebuilding my truck for it's second life as an adventuremobile.

Reactions: carshinebob

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
If I could ask -where did the lines rust through at? Right now, that's probably the thing I need to watch for on mine. I'm bypassing the stock cooler, so I don't need to worry so much about the rad - at least where the trans is concerned.

Jul 24, 2012
If I could ask -where did the lines rust through at? Right now, that's probably the thing I need to watch for on mine. I'm bypassing the stock cooler, so I don't need to worry so much about the rad - at least where the trans is concerned.

First one of the front lines went, then when I had replaced that, one of the back lines. In both cases, they rotted out near the highest point in the system, which IIRC is close to the power steering pump, and which I would not have expected. I'd have thought it would have been down lower.

I think I first noticed some drips on the ground at my parking spots, that was the tip.

Shaw520

Original poster
Sep 20, 2017
Northeast
Good video 6716

Reactions: 6716

gpking

Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
Currently at 106k miles. All maintenance done under warranty at the dealer, or by me personally.

The only issues so far are:
1) Trans lines blew out at 84k miles.
I replaced the lines, fluid, filter, gasket, and replaced the valve body spacer plate, TCC valve thingy, and accumulator pistons just for fun.

2) Started losing all forward gears but 2nd on the interstate at ~100k miles, eventually got a P1810.
Replaced the trans manual valve pressure switch manifold thing and it fixed that.

My 1-2 shift is unnecessarily hard every 3/5 shifts, but if it ain't broke, I'm not going to try and fix it.

fletch09

Nov 20, 2011
GM must have had bad parts toward the end of of the Trailblazer.
09, bought new (495 mi when picked up) drove it 394 mi and the Torque Converter went bad. waited 25 days for a new TC. got it back, put on the K&N air intake, took it for a test drive. Trans went out (at 889 mi) dealer rebuilt, (3-4 bands)
(dealer did offer to get me a brand new vehicle, but after they checked it was built on the same day as the one i had. so decided to have them fix instead of possibly going thru the same set of problems i just went thru)
drove it for another 77k miles before trans took a dump again. (planetary gear this time)
total rebuild with all new lines and a 24 hr flush to get all the broken gear pieces cleaned out. knock on wood no problems for the last 22k miles.

couple pics of planetary gear.

planetary gear 1.JPG

planetary gear 2.JPG

Reactions: Redbeard

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It is a common failure but not this early. Trannys were built.in another plant than the one being closed in Moraine. Probably just bad luck you fit a dud.

I'm surprised we didn't hear more about poor construction on the last year since they knew they were losing their jobs. I guess they kept their pride till the end. But then, there aren't that many 09 out there.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Well my 08 Voy's tranny is still strong with just shy of 160k unlike the 08 tbss that my brother-in-law has which needed a rebuild with just over 70k. Along with the diconnect,mid shaft stripped and transfer case needed to get a rebuild as well. Oh what fun that all was. I should off pulled the engine while I was at it. Lmao. I was short on time cause we was going on a road trip other wise I would of updated a few things and checked everything over some more. It's said and done and it's on the road running strong.

AzTruckGuy

Dec 1, 2015
scottsdale, az
Never really had any issues with the Tranny other then a hard shift into reverse when first starts once in a while. At 96k miles did a full trans flush with new fluid, dorman transmission pan with drain plug, new gasket and filter and changed out Automatic Transmission 1-2 and 3-4 Shift Solenoid Valves. Now at 110k miles, the trans still seems fine. One of the main reasons why I wanted to sell before I decided not too, was unsure of the Trans Longevity, its good to get real numbers from other board members. I got my tune from Lime on Monday and haven't has a chance to put it on (yes its killing me not to see how it does), but I am wondering if this will decrease Trans Longevity?

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
If you had TCC eliminated, that should be helpful, not harmful.

Technically, one of the reasons for Torque Mgmt was to buffer driveline shock to the transmission- so if you had that eliminated (most have it reduced significantly, at a minimum), then it could *conceivably* be detrimental - but if you haven't had issues so far, and you don't plan on hot rodding the truck, you s/b fine. Haven't seen any evidence online of a 4L60e blowing up due to removing TM.

For all of the reported issues online about the 4L60e (especially here!), it's a pretty good (not perfect) trans - you'll see references to same, if you do some research.
That being said, I think the later ones started failing more often due to parts substitutions (e.g.; cost savings) vs the earlier ones. An example of this would be the introduction of plastic accumulator pistons - early models had none (all metal); as time went on, first the 3-4 was changed, and eventually the 1-2 and fwd pistons were changed. With the 4th accum, it wasn't that big an issue (you can find sources saying the 4L60e would work just as well without it even installed), but introducing plastic into the other two pistons was a different story.

Last edited:

Shaw520

Original poster
Sep 20, 2017
Northeast
That's ^^^ good stuff reprise,..ty.

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
My Envoy is at 178k right now, my prior Trailblazer was at 153k before it was totaled. On the Trailblazer the 1-2 shift solenoid failed just shy of 149k, so I did what AzTruckGuy did and changed fluids, trans pan, etc. I think the Torque Converter was starting to fail, it would enter/leave lock up and refused to even go into it most of the times. Never did set a code though.

Only thing I'm experiencing now on the Envoy is the shift into reverse has a very small delay and has a slight hard shift when it does so. I mean its better then our first Envoy, once it hit 140k, it would be a hard shift (when putting it into reverse) as if you slammed it into gear.

There was someone on another forum that had an 06/07 TB (with the newer front face) that had 320k miles on the body, running its second engine/tranny. I can't remember where I came across it, but the engine/tranny were replaced 90k before the 320 mark.

Last edited:

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Something to try for a harsh shifting reverse engagement...

Instead of going from P to R, shift to D first, and wait 3-5 sec, *then* shift to R. I've done this in vehicles with delayed or harsh reverse engagements, and it seems to help (but not outright eliminate) the harshness.

It's actually something I do by habit in all of my vehicles (regardless of make.) It will make the biggest difference on a 'cold' start - when the vehicle is fully warmed up or restarted, doing this won't make a difference (but again, it's a habit I tend to maintain.)

While I can't definitively state the 'why' / 'how' of this, it stands to reason that the harsher the engagement, the quicker a bigger issue will manifest itself, IMO. Also, there is more than one 'cause' of a harsh / delayed reverse engagement, but this seems to help to some extent, regardless of issue.

The harsher the engagement, the more difference you should notice between the two methods.

Finally, on a somewhat different tack, another thing I do when the e-brake lever is in the 'proper' place (e.g.; a hand-operated one,) is to engage it after I come to a stop, but before shifting to P. This eliminates stress on the parking pawl inside the trans (and should help keep the e-brake adjusted properly as well.) You just have to get in the habit of releasing it before you move the vehicle, next time you start it...lol.

Hopefully the above (especially the first 'remedy' above) proves useful to others.

eightshot627

Aug 8, 2012
I got my 02 at 135K miles. At 190K she had a transmission shutter and I had the transmission flushed and 2 tubes of shutter fix put in. At 212K she slipped on my way home up a hill. The next day she died. We were cursing all good then we were just coasting to the side of the road. Now she's rebuilt and going strong.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online