Tranny fluid change

Rubberman

Original poster
Dec 14, 2011
I changed tranny fluids/filter on my grand prix but any thing normally different on the TB when just removing the pan and replacing the filter? It shows its just 5qts when removing the pan only and my manual says i use DexIII so i havent decided to use that or go with VI. I have a whole case of DexIII tho.

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
You could use the DexIII, it just isn't made anymore.

Flushing the tranny out through the cooler line first then dropping the pan, change the filter and fill up would be much better to get all the crap out and the torque converter is all clean.

Just doing the 5 quart change isn't enough.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
seanpooh said:
You could use the DexIII, it just isn't made anymore.

Flushing the tranny out through the cooler line first then dropping the pan, change the filter and fill up would be much better to get all the crap out and the torque converter is all clean.

Just doing the 5 quart change isn't enough.

I would agree an disagree with you...

How many miles are on your tranny? More times then not, its been proven that a flush on a higher mileage tranny is not good and will cause problems...

I just did my tranny service and I just did the pan drop and filter change... if your fluid looks and smells burnt, then yes, i'd flush.. but if it looks avg from normal wear and tear and the magnets don't look to have too many shavings on them, then I wouldn't...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online