Tranmission 2006 envoy

Birdwell

Original poster
Jun 13, 2018
Kansas City Missouri
Needing some opinions ...my 06 envoy is revving jus a tad in first and second gear...sometimes it doesnt do it at all...tranny fluid is full...should i install a 1 and 2 solenoid and filter...or could it be someti g else

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Factory fluid? I'd change it / filter. When you drop / clean the pan, check for any metal shavings / fragments.

IIRC, you have to drop (or at least loosen) the valve body to replace solenoids, so I'd hold off on that, unless you're feeling up to it. They are relatively cheap, and easily replaced, FWIW.

Try shifting manually, and see if you get the same result. If you do, I'd lean against the solenoids. Finally, how many miles on the trans / truck?

Birdwell

Original poster
Jun 13, 2018
Kansas City Missouri
Factory fluid? I'd change it / filter. When you drop / clean the pan, check for any metal shavings / fragments.

IIRC, you have to drop (or at least loosen) the valve body to replace solenoids, so I'd hold off on that, unless you're feeling up to it. They are relatively cheap, and easily replaced, FWIW.

Try shifting manually, and see if you get the same result. If you do, I'd lean against the solenoids. Finally, how many miles on the trans / truck?

what's the mileage and how is the condition of the fluid? Has the pan ever been dropped or fluid/filter ever been replaced?
Just brought it about a month ago...but im pretty sure it hasnt been touched....156,000

Reactions: Mooseman

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015

Just brought it about a month ago...but im pretty sure it hasnt been touched....156,000

Yep - when you're a new owner, and don't know the service history, assume nothing on the vehicle has been touched, and proceed accordingly.

After you get done with the ATF service, the next 'urgent' thing would be the transfer case fluid, as it's supposed to be changed every 50K. Use only the GM 'Auto-Trac II' fluid for that (it's blue). Back to the transmission....

Normally maintained, the later 4L60e's normally last 180-200K (the earlier ones lasted even longer, but GM kept replacing metal with plastic as the years went on.)

You're getting close to that boundary, so don't be surprised if you see some more issues crop up over time. And replacing all 12 quarts of fluid (instead of just the 5 from a normal service) might not be a bad idea, as @xavierny25 mentioned - especially if it is very dark brown or has a burnt smell.

You didn't mention under what conditions the problem occurs - cold / hot start, from trip outset or after a few shifts have taken place, etc.
Also, next time it occurs, get to someplace isolated if you can, and see if you can duplicate it using rolling starts, varying throttle inputs, etc. - in addition to trying the manual shifting I mentioned earlier. Knowing whether it completes the shift if you let up slightly on the pedal is useful to know as well.

Good luck - and let us know the outcome, once you've had time to evaluate.

mntegra01

Mar 26, 2018
Virginia
I would assume also it has never been touched. I just bought a 03 LS 2WD for cheap because the transmission pump cracked at 182,000 miles. BUt with some tools and watching The Transmission Bench's videos I was able to rebuild my transmission. But I spent more in rebuilding than I could have gotten one from GM with 3yr/100K mile waranty. I am confident in the repairs though. I found other things worn out that I went ahead and replaced.

That being said, you can usually find a good deal on a GM warranty trans, if the dealer is a POWER TRAIN dealer, or the dealer buys from a power train dealer. I work in VA, and we get cheap trans from TX and takes 2 days. usually 10-15% under COST is what we pay, just depends on the part number.

Reactions: Birdwell

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online