Trailvoy Owns Me?

steven76

Original poster
Mar 24, 2012
I am currently applying for some new opportunities within my profession. I was Googling myself today, just to see what happens when colleagues or other professionals do it, because I know this is common practice nowadays.

I have had the same email handle since 1998. Stupidly, this is the same handle that I used on Trailvoy as well as some other websites.
I now see that my privacy is compromised by this, and it's easy for people to "check you out." This is one reason that I chose different username when registering for this site.

Here is one of the Google results I got when Googling my email handle.

This is a (somewhat) stealth link to the Google result. Please don't retype my Trailvoy handle here so that it doesn't attach itself somehow to this account in the future.
View attachment 21841

I'm guessing that when I signed up for Trailvoy, I agreed that they can do whatever the hell they want with my input.

What is this OMGIL site listing my posts on Trailvoy? Seems fishy. Does GMTNation have external websites doing the same?

I had not been burned by Trailvoy like many of you have been, so I have still been using that site. I think I may be closing it in the near future.

Attachments

• trailvoy serach result.jpg
    trailvoy serach result.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 94

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
http://omgili.com/about.html

Omgili is a specialized search engine that focuses on "many to many" user generated content platforms, such as, Forums, Discussion groups, Mailing lists, answer boards and others.

It's like a Google, but geared to message boards/forums/etc.

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
steven76 said:
Please don't retype my Trailvoy handle here so that it doesn't attach itself somehow to this account in the future.
Too late, you've already screwed yourself.

Enter "Splandreth Gmtnation" into a google search field.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
I googled Splandreth GMTNATION and it took me to your "Goodbye Trailvoy" post....

steven76

Original poster
Mar 24, 2012
Voymom said:
I googled Splandreth GMTNATION and it took me to your "Goodbye Trailvoy" post....

Thanks for the wakeup call. Guess I should mean what I say more often.
Even though I write that when I joined, I guess it didn't really register upstairs.
My Trailvoy account is done now, mean it this time.

I have been and am part of many online forums. I think Trailvoy was the first one that is completely public though. These two are the only website that I'm part of that openly distributed things with a time and date stamp for everyone to see.

I met, in person, a professional colleague whom I've only ever had an online work relationship with. Upon our meeting each other, I was surprisingly asked "how's your Trailblazer?" It was a wake up call for me as to how much a person can learn about any of us just by monitoring these forums.

Guess I just didn't understand this when creating my account at Trailvoy. Oh well, live and learn...

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
as someone who has gone through a lot of resumes, you should use a seperate email for resumes. something like firstname.lastname@gmail.com. when i see some "fun" nickname email on a resume it just seems unprofessional. plus its better for them when i plug their email into google or facebook and nothing comes up

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
jimmyjam said:
as someone who has gone through a lot of resumes, you should use a seperate email for resumes. something like firstname.lastname@gmail.com. when i see some "fun" nickname email on a resume it just seems unprofessional. plus its better for them when i plug their email into google or facebook and nothing comes up

Reason I have a gov't email address. Nothing is private anymore, it is even easier if you are willing to shell out some cash to dig deeper.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher