Trailer Tires. Recommendations please.

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
The Geo Pro I purchased has the Castle Rock ST tires on it. They have a bad reputation for tread separation and randomly blowing up. They have very few miles on them but I am going to replace them. 185/80/13 is the size. It is a "D" (1710 Lb) and "L" 75 mph rated tire. I found a Carlisle brand tire, the "Radial Trail HD" that seems to have good feedback. Any thoughts or recommendations? Thx...

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Not sure about the Carlisle, but I run these on a 5x10 single axle and 7x14 tandem axle. Best trailer tires I have used.

Maxxis M8008 ST radial.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I can't say enough good things about Goodyear's Endurance trailer tires. Unfortunately they don't have them in your size but they are just about the best tires available right now. Maybe you could go up one size to the 205/75R14 but that would mean replacing the wheels as well and would also need to check for clearance under your rig. It would also increase your load rating to 1820 lbs which would give you that little extra insurance. Check the loaded weight of your trailer. Sometimes the OEMs put the closest to max capacity or even a little below. My original China bombs (Constancy) were just under the trailer's max. With the same size Endurance (I have 14"), I went up a load rating and have that extra even though I don't ever go over the trailer's max load rating.

Carlisle are OK but I've seen some of their tires be really out of balance and out of round, mostly on their smaller sizes.

Stay away from Towmax, AKA: Blowmax.

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
I got Carlisle trail radials or what ever they are called on my horse trailer. E rated and seem to work well. I can't notice any vibration and no blow outs yet....

Reactions: Mooseman

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I went from bias ply to radial on my boat trailer... its works okay but the higher load rated radial is still pretty crushed down at max pressure vs the bias ply at 35. Just the nature of construction. I used a brand called hercules. They're more popular in the motor home segment for that class of tire but they make a decent trailer tire too. Last I checked they were a Cooper subsidiary. The test was a 300 mile lake trip in 100 degree weather at around 75 mph. The old tires would get hot. These weren't even warm after.

Also check your hubs... can't tell you how many friends got trailers with the preloads set wrong in them and the bearings being toast after...

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online