Trailer brake module delete

16vcabman

Original poster
May 10, 2018
Ortonville, Mi
Bought a 2009 Tahoe. Found Trailer brake module disconnected. Connector is a mess. Need to know if RPO JL1 is able to be programmed out of system? This is to get rid of message Service trailer Brake system? Truck is ex police and will never need trailer brakes. Driving me Crazy! trying to sell. Hard to get right connector and right seals/ plugs for new connector, then buy module, and finally pay dealer to program. LimeQuat Help

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I doubt Jeremy can help with this as his specialty is PCM tuning and retrofitting.

It might be possible to program it out but you would need two things: a Tech 2 and an SPS subscription. A dealer might be able to do this too. To check before shelling out any money, enter your VIN here and see if there is an option for the trailer brake.

Another option is to fix it. Might be able to find one in a yard.

16vcabman

Original poster
May 10, 2018
Ortonville, Mi
It is not a common thing on Tahoe. The pick-up connector is different the fix is probably $300 or more. If they had protected the connector it would be easier. Oh and the connector is no longer offered.

Vin is at home

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
These sources for the installation information and their components look promising:

16vcabman

Original poster
May 10, 2018
Ortonville, Mi
That connector is to add after market controller. Mine came with factory integrated controller. Different scenario.the control module is on the frame rail and uses a 47 pin connector. The connector is no longer available.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Understood... But the idea here was to suggest an alternative way around the OEM Factory RPO issue and install the After-Market Brake Controller instead as a Work-Around that would produce the same restorative results... and not dissuade potential buyers from taking the truck off of your hands at the Highest Possible Dollar. This assumes of course, that an After-Market Unit would not cost you too much.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I'm pretty sure it can be programmed out of the BCM using a Tech 2 or going to a dealer.

Reactions: mrrsm

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online