Trailblazer stuck in 4LO??

Nova63

Original poster
Apr 18, 2014
Hi guys,
I have an issue with my Trailblazer and would need some advice. The 4wd service light is on and the car seems to be stuck in 4LO. I have disconnected the ATCM fuse (number 8) and disconnected the battery without any luck. I also tried to rotate the selector switch back and forth for about 30 times.

I did a diagnose with my MD802 and it showed no fault codes except for in the specific code section that shows C0327 which indicate that there's something wrong with the transfer case encoder motor.

I'm trying to narrow this down, and see what you think;

4wd service light is on all the time
When turning on the ignition the four lamps above the selector switch blink one time, when start the engine they blink one time for about 1 or 2 seconds then went out. No lamp shows when turning the switch in neutral except for one time when both 2HI AND 4LO where constantly on at the same time. No clonking sound from under the car either.

Is there any way to see if the transfer case encoder motor is faulty with the diagnose check, if so how? What readings should I look for?

How would you continue to pinpoint the problem??

I guess its either the encoder motor or the TCCM or the wiring, but how to check it without replacing components??

Can you feed the Encoder motor solenoid with 12V and see if it works that way?

Thanks
Matt

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Welcome!

If you have a voltmeter, you can see if the encoder motor brake solenoid is being energized when you try to change modes. If it's not, then the encoder motor will be prevented from moving. You can also see if it's getting 12V on the motor terminals. To move the vehicle, you can always remove the encoder motor from the transfer case, and rotate the control shaft on the transfer case using pliers. Then you can see if the encoder motor moves while it's in the air. If it does, then you have a jammed transfer case.

Have you been changing the Auto-trak II fluid every 80K kilometers as required?

ALSO----> Can you confirm that you have the transmission in NEUTRAL, not PARK or DRIVE, while you try to get out of 4LO? You remember there's an interlock to prevent the TCCM from shifting if you're not in NEUTRAL?

Nova63

Original poster
Apr 18, 2014
The_Roadie, thanks alot for your help!

I will start to work on the vehicle tomorrow or monday. If you want to set the car in 2HI manually when rotating the control shaft on the transfer case with pliers, which way should you turn the shaft?

Where can i found some info about the wiring between the switch-TCCM-Encoder Motor

Thanks alot for your help. appreciate it!

Matt

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
I've garnished what info I have on the manual shaft from the theory of operation, carefully studying the positions the shaft are in. Full counter-clockwise should be 4LO, so turning clockwise would bring you through neutral and into 2HI, then you'll hit the other "bump" where you get into A4WD/4HI territory.

Nova63

Original poster
Apr 18, 2014
Thanks a bunch guys!

Sorry I didnt answer you Q before Roadie, was kinda in a hurry earlier today.

I know nothing about the oilchanges for this car, my friend just got it. But I get a feeling this issue is current related (TCCM, SWITCH, SOLENOID, or WIRING) in some way and not mechanical, just a feeling.

Yes, I had her in Neutral when trying to switch from Low to High, it was the same on my old 1977 Blazer with mechanical tranfer case selector.

Like I said thanks again, I will try to solve this issue, and now I have something to start with!

Matt

Nova63

Original poster
Apr 18, 2014
One more thing, is the switch secured by clips so you just gently pry it lose from the dash or are there some hidden screws holding it in place? I was thinking maybe you could lose the contact and use a jumper wire and try it that way.

Matt

Nova63

Original poster
Apr 18, 2014
First, thanks for your help guys, it really helped!

I spent some time on the car today, and found out that if I wiggle the wiring harness going into the encoder motor at the same time as my buddy was in the car and turned the switch, the 4w warning lamp got away and the motor switched from 4LO to 2HI. We did some tests and we switched between the 4 modes and it worked when I wiggle the harness. The issue seemes to be just where the wiring going into the motor so I split the rubber boot so I could separate all 7 wires. It turned out to be the red one, probably 12V power that was bad contact inside the housing somewhere. I guess its close to the contact plate, so I will buy a new encoder motor.

I unbolted the motor and turned the axle with pliers to 2HI and went for a roadtest. Everything seems to work fine and now its driveable in HI gear. You think this will hurt anything if you drive it until the new motor arrives??? Ive sealed the contact and axle with tape to keep dirt and moisture out.

Where can I order a new complete Encoder motor for a decent price, any suggestions??

I'll attach a pic here: http://cubeupload.com/im/1yCyaZ.jpg

Thanks
Matt

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Nova63 said:
First, thanks for your help guys, it really helped!

I spent some time on the car today, and found out that if I wiggle the wiring harness going into the encoder motor at the same time as my buddy was in the car and turned the switch, the 4w warning lamp got away and the motor switched from 4LO to 2HI. We did some tests and we switched between the 4 modes and it worked when I wiggle the harness. The issue seemes to be just where the wiring going into the motor so I split the rubber boot so I could separate all 7 wires. It turned out to be the red one, probably 12V power that was bad contact inside the housing somewhere. I guess its close to the contact plate, so I will buy a new encoder motor.

I unbolted the motor and turned the axle with pliers to 2HI and went for a roadtest. Everything seems to work fine and now its driveable in HI gear. You think this will hurt anything if you drive it until the new motor arrives??? Ive sealed the contact and axle with tape to keep dirt and moisture out.

Where can I order a new complete Encoder motor for a decent price, any suggestions??

I'll attach a pic here: http://cubeupload.com/im/1yCyaZ.jpg

Thanks
Matt
Part number is 88996637. I'd search "GM 88996637," seems to turn up a bunch of relevant results on Google. eBay has them at a decent price (maybe $150-200). Parts dealers want between like $200-300.

Not sure on how well the Dorman unit works (plenty of other stuff the Dorman seems to be a temp fix), but if you're willing to do a little searching to check on how good it is or willing to swallow the potential for the fix being temporary, Dorman 600-903, $135 on Amazon. Apparently comes with a limited lifetime guarantee so if they keep pooping out you can just keep sending them back.

Nova63

Original poster
Apr 18, 2014
IllogicTC, thanks!

I'll check that out. Im in Sweden, that make things a little more complicated, thats why I ask "1000" Questions to make sure I got everything right... Ya know, shipping, language etc etc,,, Better to ask twice :smile: And make it right the first time.

Thanks a bunch for your help!

Matt

Nova63

Original poster
Apr 18, 2014
I found the Dorman 7 pin at Summit Racing for $166
A few bucks more but Ive been dealing with Summit many times and they are ok

Matt

Nova63

Original poster
Apr 18, 2014
What do ya think guys, will it hurt anything using the car with the 7 pin contact to the encoder motor disconnected??

Matt

Nova63

Original poster
Apr 18, 2014
Thanks Roadie, appreciate your help!!! I will order the Dorman unit from Summit and hope for the best :smile:

Matt

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I can't tell transfer cases apart by the appearance of the housing. Assume this is not YOUR vehicle? Just find out what sort of vehicle this is. Envoys and TB have NP226. Bravadas and Saabs have NP126. I always forget what the Isuzu and Buicks have, they're so rare.

Nova63

Original poster
Apr 18, 2014
Its a 2002 TB, I didnt know everyone had the NP226. Thats why I asked.
Thanks
Matt

05TB90TROOPER

Jul 7, 2012
ALSO----> Can you confirm that you have the transmission in NEUTRAL, not PARK or DRIVE, while you try to get out of 4LO? You remember there's an interlock to prevent the TCCM from shifting if you're not in NEUTRAL?
TY Roadie, I had put it 4 lo yesterday after getting stuck in 4hi on a unplowed road with over 20" snow and higher drifts when I had to stop for a plow truck. The wife went out this morning and told me its stuck in 4lo. She tried everything except neutral.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online