Trailblazer Storage and organization

Audiophobe

Original poster
Aug 12, 2012
The cargo area of my trailblazer was always cluttered and I was fed up with it so I decided to build some storage and organization into the cargo area myself. I did some searching and found that storage organization like this can be very expensive to buy. This whole project cost me about $150 and took about 9.5 hours over 2 evenings. Please let me know what you think.

I started with the basic frame that would easily slide in and out of the back.

Unfinished with wings up by audiophobe, on Flickr

Then I added wings to the sides of the frame so that it would look nicely finished and still be easily removed when necessary.

Driver side wing by audiophobe, on Flickr

The trim pieces on the front are pressure fit in and easily removable. I added piano hinges so that I can still access the sides and use for storage.

Side trim by audiophobe, on Flickr

Here’s the whole unit with trim pieces installed and wings down. No drawers or carpet added yet of course.

Unfinished frame by audiophobe, on Flickr

Next I installed 100 lbs. Drawer slides from Home Depot ($15)

100 pound Drawer slide by audiophobe, on Flickr

I assembled the drawers and fitted them into the openings.

One drawer sliding by audiophobe, on Flickr

Here’s the unit assembled and ready for carpet.

Unfinished and ready for covering. by audiophobe, on Flickr

I carpeted the top and drawer fronts with perfection grey carpet from Home Depot ($15 for a 6x5 piece) I used spray adhesive and staples to put it all together.

Covered and installed by audiophobe, on Flickr

Passenger drawer ajar by audiophobe, on Flickr

Both drawers open by audiophobe, on Flickr

Storage area behind back seat.

Storage area behind rear seat by audiophobe, on Flickr

I installed round drawer pull knobs on the wings for ease of access to the side compartments ($1.50 for 2)

Driver side wing knob by audiophobe, on Flickr

Driver side wing open by audiophobe, on Flickr

Passenger side wing open by audiophobe, on Flickr

I installed handles on the drawers next ($1.50 each) All trimmed out and pretty.

Installed with trim pieces in place by audiophobe, on Flickr

Incase you were wondering about how I access the storage compartment or remove the entire thing from the back of the truck here is how it’s done. I opted to leave the cover on the storage compartment so that I don’t lose it. I could easily leave it off which would mean all I have to do to access the compartment is remove a drawer. But...

I start by removing the drawers.

Drawer pulled out by audiophobe, on Flickr

Drawer slide by audiophobe, on Flickr

Drawer release tab by audiophobe, on Flickr

Once the drawers are out I lift the side wings.

Wing lifted by audiophobe, on Flickr

Passenger side wing open by audiophobe, on Flickr

Then I remove the front trim pieces, which I pressure fit for ease of removal.

Driver side trim removed. by audiophobe, on Flickr

Passenger side trim removed by audiophobe, on Flickr

Once all of the trim pieces are out of the way I can lift the frame and pull out the cover.

Both drawers removed by audiophobe, on Flickr

Shelf lifted for access to storage compartment by audiophobe, on Flickr

Storage compartment without lid. by audiophobe, on Flickr

If I want to remove the whole thing it slides easily straight out the back. There you have it, I hope you enjoyed checking out my post.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Welcome! I was the one who made the Envoy drawer unit in 2008 or so for offroading supplies. Glad you took the hints and made it here from the site we all left last December. Only a couple of holdouts refuse to move here, after we all left after a difference in philosophy with the newest trailvoy owners.

Nice design, and a bit lighter weight than mine. I should really go back in there and remove a lot of excess non-structural plywood.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
Welcome to GMTNation!

Nice work :thumbsup: it looks very professional, kinda like it came with the truck. Thanks for sharing!

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Welcome to the site. That's one clean assembly you have there. I really like the side flaps.:thumbsup:

Audiophobe

Original poster
Aug 12, 2012
the roadie said:
Welcome! I was the one who made the Envoy drawer unit in 2008 or so for offroading supplies. Glad you took the hints and made it here from the site we all left last December. Only a couple of holdouts refuse to move here, after we all left after a difference in philosophy with the newest trailvoy owners.

Nice design, and a bit lighter weight than mine. I should really go back in there and remove a lot of excess non-structural plywood.

Thanks for the inspiration and the idea. I decided that I wouldn't put a bottom in the thing because it would save me about 25 pounds. I made it out of 5/8" particle board which is a bit heavier than the same thickness plywood. :smile:

MAY03LT said:
Welcome to the site. That's one clean assembly you have there. I really like the side flaps.:thumbsup:

I wanted it to be easily removable just in case I have to haul something taller or bigger.

Canadian Mike

Dec 3, 2011
Welcome over to the Nation! Much better here! :wootwoot:

Thanks for the photos, look good.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Oh... I like this. Very nice.

Any particular reason for particle board vs plywood? How did you attach the pieces together? I was looking for counter-sunk screws but I don't see any. *edit* never mind I'm an idiot, I see them now :bonk:

I might have to copy this (with my own custom touches).

Dang it. Now you've given me ANOTHER idea for ANOTHER project to add to my list :hissyfit:

:biggrin:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
When the liftgate is closed they can't slide open :wink: Although the handles might leave marks on the plastic panel inside. Personally I wouldn't care too much since my panel is already scuffed up from cargo hauling anyway.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Um... then they fly open and throw their contents at you when you open the liftgate :yikes:

Wishbone

Dec 5, 2011
Great post, and welcome to the Nation! You've inspired me with this one. I may do something very similar!

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
Welcome to the site. Very nice work. Looks very clean and hard to tell it didn't come that way, without anything that can't be undone. I looked at a TB recently that someone had installed some sort of permanent steel rail system to inside of the roof, to hold up their storage system. Probably worked fine, but looks pretty crazy now trying to sell it used.

Wooluf has a good idea there about securing the frame of the storage unit to the tie downs on the floor, in an accident, that's alot of crap coming through the back seat.

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
That looks very good. I have a quick make shift shelf in the back of mine, but seeing yours certainly makes me want to do it right! Nicely done :thumbsup:

Audiophobe

Original poster
Aug 12, 2012
I parked on an incline today as some of you mentioned and the drawers rolled open on there own. This made it difficult to close the gate. I had to open the window and hold the drawers closed to latch the gate. I will definitely be adding some sort of latches in the near future.

On the topic of this thing getting loose in the instance of an accident. I don't think it is going to move anywhere. I built it so tight that it won't shift. Also the back of it is cut with the angle of the back seat which won't let it lift up. I do plan on securing it somehow. I found another post somewhere where the person used gate hinges to attach it to the tie downs in the floor. I'll probably do that. There is no bottom in the frame so it's difficult to secure it to the floor. I'll update this thread when i fix it.

Thanks for all of your support. Glad I could be an inspiration to some of y'all. Happy to return the favor. Keep posting!

animal

Dec 4, 2011
Very nice work and nice write up as well. Welcome.:thumbsup:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online