TrailBlazer SS AWD question

minisuv

Original poster
Apr 17, 2015
As some know my '04 Envoy was in an accident and with all the work and they keep finding things wrong I was wondering: My good friend runs the used lot at his dad's Chevy Dealership. He has an '06 Maroon TB SS. I was wondering, the trans should be a 4L60E (as 'burbans 2500 had 4L80E [TH400 w/electronic OD]) is the 4l60E a th350 in the same? Either way its AWD only, not selectable. Can a selectable transfercase be put in such a regular TB or a electronic selectable from a 2000 era Taho if a TB one is too weak? I like to know I am in 4WD with a locker in the rear rather then power being shifted all over since we get a ton of lake effect snow. I looked for a while for a thread on this but did not find one. If there is one let me know and sorry i missed it, but since my son will be share'n this truck with me I may trade in the 'voy for the TB SS since it will not be much will be $3000 and mine which mine has seen NE winters and one on the lot came from FL it's 2 years newer but both have under a 100k on them and the ss has 20" wheels with nice Cooper discover ATR3 on it. The T-case is my only concern. What do you think can it be done?

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
There is a member here, ErikSS, that has the only SS with selectable 4wd. I believe the transfer case is out of a Silverado, but I could be wrong. A lot of engineering and $$$ went into the build.

You might try and search for his posts or give him a PM.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
You will Likely spend $2,000 or more for a swap if you can even get someone to figure out all the electronics and programming. it is not a simple swap.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
While the trans I'm sure are similar, the TBSS has a 4L70e trans. And like others have said, major money in putting in a selectable 4x4.

minisuv

Original poster
Apr 17, 2015
I am willing to spend the 2 grand but that's interesting I did not know there was a 4l70E but turning an SS into selectable 4wd is nice. If I could do so I would remove the center console and use a hurst truck auto floor shifter and floor shifter for the T-case then make something around it to hold a Ham/CB radio. ErikSS last time on was in june. I will have to look into the electronics but I wont trade it in unless I know I can do it I dont use AWD It needs to be selectable.

Last edited:

minisuv

Original poster
Apr 17, 2015
I noticed the Envoy Denali is a V8 also and with adapter you can use the t-case from a 1500 truck,taho or burban and get the tcm for the switch and you get low range. seems electronics are the complicated part and time but the cost is not bad. Hasbeen done for under $1500 now which is nice if you want selectable 4wd and use the front actuator from the donor which is a soso design but so is stock TB, Voys and it screws right in. To me its worth it on a low milage 5.3 TB or Denali. Its a great engine even in a new suburban with a 6 sp auto trans they get 22mpg that is what we are getting as the Voy is STILL in repair. My wife did not sign off on it seems to have electrical issues it never has and a grinding. These adjusters think wheels on and a flash light can tell all when I asked if he was ASE certified the INSURANCE CO. could not tell me but refuse to pay rental now but I will not sign over check until the damage is fixed.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Hasbeen done for under $1500

Who did that?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
They do except for the TBSS, which is a full time non-selectable AWD. The are also 2wd TB's.

matermark

Nov 3, 2020
Niagara Falls NY
They do except for the TBSS, which is a full time non-selectable AWD. The are also 2wd TB's.
@Mooseman, thanks for filling me in on that, I guess since I closed Bowtie Supply, I haven't followed the auto/truck industry as I have in the last century! Heck, the last transmissions I rebuilt were GN/GNX 200-4R's, and the last anything-Blazers I've owned were S-series... I wouldn't be here if I didn't replace the "S" with a GMT360/305 after 13 years!

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online