trailblazer shift cable question

sunliner

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
06 Trailblazer....got in the truck at work, tried to shift into reverse and the shift lever moves freely like it's not attached. The brake interlock works normally. Truck in park. This happened once before and it was the cable under the truck that came off at the grommet. me and the tow truck driver both looked underneath and that cable is attached. What else could be broken for the handle to move like this?
It's in the hands of my local shop now, I'm just curious....

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It's attached but is it moving? Could be broken at the other end. Or the internal shift link is broken.

Reactions: Redbeard

sunliner

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
I'm an idiot and/or misunderstood what the mechanic was telling me at first. the cable was broken at the shifter end. The kicker for me is that they quoted me $540 dollars to replace the cable. I really like this shop but had to ask what the break down of the charges was. They said the cable itself was $248 from NAPA. I got the part number they were using and found the Delco equivalent (OEM) for $42. Paid an extra 40 for overnight shipping and will take it to them tomorrow.

Reactions: Redbeard

Locksmith

Nov 19, 2017
Columbia,SC
I'd think it's time for a new repair shop. Ask him where he keeps his gun because I feel you're getting robbed!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online

No members online now.