SOLVED! Trailblazer running Horrible after alternator replacement

BillVear

Original poster
Apr 27, 2021
Largo, Florida
I need your Help! My mechanic replaced my alternator in my 2005 Trailblazer, and in the process, removed the Battery as well. It started fine, ran smooth as normal until I drove off. Its been sputtering, idling rough, and even stalling which it has never done before. I've heard there is a process, when to start it the 1st time after removing the battery to "reprogram" the computer to get the idle correct?

Thank you,

Bill

linneje

Apr 26, 2012
Often this happens with the I6 when you disconnect the battery. Try cleaning the throttle body thoroughly, then try running again.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
The process is to let it complete the relearn process. That means when you restart it for the first time after a battery replacement don't immediately drive away. Just let it idle for a few minutes and the computer will recalibrate itself. The climate controls also need a minute to recallibrate as well.
So try disconnecting the battery for half an hour or so and then restart and let it idle for a while.

Reactions: Redbeard

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The process is to let it complete the relearn process. That means when you restart it for the first time after a battery replacement don't immediately drive away. Just let it idle for a few minutes and the computer will recalibrate itself. The climate controls also need a minute to recallibrate as well.
So try disconnecting the battery for half an hour or so and then restart and let it idle for a while.
After cleaning the throttle body first.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
So I read on the GM tech forums that they are adding a step to this, although unofficial from GM, its what a couple OEM techs are recommending.

Turn ignition on, engine off
Let it sit for 2 mins
Turn key off for no more than 30 seconds, but no less than 10 seconds
Turn key on, and start engine
Let engine idle for 2 mins
Turn key off for no more than 30 seconds, but no less than 10 seconds
Turn Key on, and start engine
Done.

Apparently this fixes a couple different headaches created when disconnecting the battery. Blend doors get calibrated correctly, ETB (Electronic throttle body) gets to go thru the motions, and a couple other active moving sensors get to calibrate.

This does not fix the gummed I6 throttle body, just the next step for once its cleaned.

Reactions: Blckshdw

BillVear

Original poster
Apr 27, 2021
Largo, Florida
Thank you all, the throttle body was cleaned today, I did disconnected the battery as it was being cleaned, did the restart routine. It definitely ran better, but not right, did a diagnostic, getting misfires on #6 piston? Did the coil blow? It ran great before all this...I'm speechless...

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Try swapping the coil with another cylinder, see if the misfire follows it or not.

linneje

Apr 26, 2012
Glad you got it. I have had it happen before where one repair led to another, which then led to another, etc. It seems like it shouldn't happen, but when you disconnect a battery, it can lead to other things you might not expect.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online