Trailblazer RS 2.0 Recipe

SSilveronyxx

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
Well, Trailblazer RS 1.0 (5.3L 4WD 6L80) was such a smashing success (until the DoD/AFM failed) that I decided to BAM it up notch and show how you can indeed run a 6L80/90 behind any engine...V or otherwise.
TBMSport TBRS 1.0.jpgTBMSport TBRS 1.0 R.jpg
After realizing that high output and twin turbo I4/I6 cylinders are the future, I decided to revisit the past and kick it up a notch. BAM! http://www.motortrend.com/future/concept_cars/112_0203_chevrolet_trailblazer_turbo/viewall.html

I was looking for a Saab 9-7X, but came across an alternative I couldn't pass up. So, I'm take one unsuspecting 2008 4200 Vortec 4.2L I6 4WD Trailblazer with a blown engine. Perform body-off frame engine swap:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSukLMLZy48

+ a 6L80 transmission lying around. Mix liberally with a handful of custom TBM parts, 3.73 gears, and custom EFILive tuning tricks to unlock the torque management restrictions.
IMG_0421.JPG600_T_T_Plate_Finished_Pics_007.jpg4l70to6l80.jpg

Contemplate making necessary high performance parts toward twin scroll twin turbo/supercharged build (aka limited slip front diff, high flow oil pump, Intake/headers, etc.)
LL8_TT.jpg
4200 dual headers.jpgHummer 010 Harrop Supercharger I5 Atlas.jpg
Garnish with nice 20's, a TBSS rear bumper with high flow exhaust and our custom valance for twin tips. Adjust tuning until mid-to-low 13's are accomplished and then go [stock] TBSS hunting while enjoying 25+ MPG on regular octane gas.

TBMSport TBSS Single Square.jpg

Stay tuned! :raspberry:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Definitely interested in seeing how this turns out. :yes:

Glad to see you alive and kicking too man :thumbsup:

SSilveronyxx

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
Thanks guys. I've been eager to do this for a while. As I previously stated, with the onset of 4-6 cylinder performance becoming more common place (plus easier and cheaper to work on in vehicle originally designed for V8's), I'm gonna jump into this deeply. If people have the ability to do the labor, you could do this swap on a budget to any GMT355/360 for $5k or less.

I'm working with an ambitious local shop who is very interested in "assembly lining" this. He has the hands and space and I have the custom parts and programming know-how. So, after we do this truck, we may start getting clean 02-09 GMT355/360's (Envoy, Bravada, Rainier, Trailblazer, Ascender, 9-7x, Colorado, Canyon) and doing upgraded 06+ 4.2L (http://vortec4200.com/forum1/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=783)%C2 6L80 swaps complete with warranties and custom upgrades as requested.

I already decided to sell this TB to a friend who is using and loving my TBRS 1.0, so no Forced Induction in this build....just a quick conversion and back on the road. But, the next vehicle is getting getting lined. Each vehicle project will have to push the envelop, so I'm thinking the next one is either going to be a TT Saab 6L90 (all Saabs should be turbos!) or 4.2L 6L80 Colorado/Canyon. Probably go TT first as it'll kill two birds wtih one stone; new split style headers and TT kit...I think squeezing the 4.2L into a GMT355 may be too much to bite off so soon. Somewhere in the mix will be the new Direct Injection 4.3L V6 6L80 in something...hummer H3??? :confused: :undecided:

Reactions: dmanns67

Gerbil21

May 28, 2014
Definitely can't wait to hear more, all other builds never even end they just stop half way with more questions then answers

Also I think focusing on trailvoys for now would be good, we need it the most

Reactions: Mounce

Gerbil21

May 28, 2014
SSilveronyxx said:
Just bought the replacement engine....Everything from MAF/clutch fan to flex plate, including harness, accessories and ECM for $1900 shipped and with under 70k miles! Reached out to my various known associates for exhaust and turbo input.
Please do make a write up of the engine swap it's much needed

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I would love to know more about your plan for a LS front diff. Have not ever seen one. We did have a front locker available, but it seems to be unobtainium now.

triz

Apr 22, 2013
You can try these guys for certain parts. Great guys.

DDPerformanceResearch.com

They have decent prices on turbo and exhaust options. Plus there customer service is phenomenal.

I would contact them by phone as they don't list much on there site.

SSilveronyxx

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
Gerbil21 said:
Please do make a write up of the engine swap it's much needed
There is a good write up on Trailvoy where someone put in an 04/06 or so I6 into an 02 TB. Still up with pics, the last I checked. I won't be photographing too much of the actual labor as it's pretty much just R&R. Unplug, unbolt this, replug, bolt that.

HARDTRAILZ said:
I would love to know more about your plan for a LS front diff. Have not ever seen one. We did have a front locker available, but it seems to be unobtainium now.
Thinking about it on an off, it looks like the most cost effective (and overall beneficial) route is to make a new housing cover to allow a 7.5 diff to fit. I'll keep you guys posted when that phase comes.

triz said:
You can try these guys for certain parts. Great guys.

DDPerformanceResearch.com

They have decent prices on turbo and exhaust options. Plus there customer service is phenomenal.

I would contact them by phone as they don't list much on there site.
Thanks, but I have a few former customers in the turbo field that I've already reached out to. Looks like the fastest, easiest, most cost economical route is to go single turbo off of the factory exhaust manifold with an air-to-air. I should be able to do so for $4500 or less.

SSilveronyxx

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
Project Trailblazer RS 2.0 has not been officially renamed PROJECT: Trailblazer Blue Flame (get it?) :wooot: and is officially underway. Truck is at the shop. Motor is on the way there. ...although I'm wondering if the motor is salvageable. It has a knocking sound upon start up that sounds like it's just in the head. :undecided:

Attachments

• 2015-04-24 Picking her up.jpg
    2015-04-24 Picking her up.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0423.JPG
    IMG_0423.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 54

Gerbil21

May 28, 2014
Any updates?

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
3shelbyx-large.jpg
"Swap a 8 for a 6 ?..... .Nice job kid but, it's not like you're going to beat me" CS

Gerbil21

May 28, 2014
Any news?

Gerbil21

May 28, 2014
SSilveronyxx said:
Parts still not finished.
Just wondering but how about a awd swap? And the tbss 2wd aluminum driveshaft?

SSilveronyxx

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
I'm not too keen on the TrailBlazer SS all wheel drive system. the objective is to simply demonstrate the lowest the cost option to make the conversion the con I could go crazy with a whole bunch of custom parts, but then it would get ridiculously expensive

Reactions: Gerbil21

Gerbil21

May 28, 2014
Any updates?

SSilveronyxx

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
Truck engine finally got swapped 2 weeks ago and I'm driving it. Engine adapter parts just arrived this past week. Transfer case adapter were just finished by the machine shop, but I haven't had time to inspect. All the parts are finally all in, but with everything 1 month past schedule and overbudget, I'm focused on other things, so hopefully I'll be in the mood to complete the project around August.

Gerbil21

May 28, 2014
Any updates

Gerbil21

May 28, 2014
Since the trucks driving I think it would be nice to see 0-60 times before and after trans swap, I'm shure that big 1st gear of the 6 speed should help some. Also mpg changes too since the engine rpm would be less peaky with the better gear ratios

Reactions: BlazingTrails

Gerbil21

May 28, 2014
Mounce said:
I'm not sure why you're so worried about updates, if he has updates, he'll post them when he has time. Have patience and let it unfold the way the OP wants.

Just my opinion and no offense meant.
None taken, but seeing how this is the only performance modification happening I definitely don't want it to be forgotten or have any lost interest in the project

Gerbil21

May 28, 2014
So...any updates?

Reactions: BlazingTrails

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Nope.

Reactions: Mounce

Gerbil21

May 28, 2014
HARDTRAILZ said:
This is why I asked for so many updates, I figured the thread was going to die. The op should have just focused on affordable turbo kits instead of the whole powertrain

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
It is dead except for your continued posts. I am sure if the OP wants to update it, he will. He did with his last build.

Reactions: Capote and Mounce

SSilveronyxx

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
Ok, this is indefinitely on hold now bc I ended up trading the Trailblazer for an LS4 Impala SS and will be knocking out the 6T70/75 transmission swap on that before revisiting this. Maybe by spring I'll get another 58x I6/I5 or summon the motivation to pull the broken 5.3L from RS 1.0 and drop the 4200 and 6L80 that I have sitting around in it. Sorry guys.

Reactions: dmanns67

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnnnyj

Members Online

No members online now.