trailblazer pulls in A4WD and 4HI

KEEBZ489

Original poster
Jan 16, 2018
Howard Beach NY
hi all , new owner of an 05 tailblazer lt ext. 109k miles , clean and drives good. the truck did have a slight whine when A4WD was engaged on the test drive so I knocked off a few buck for that. I was hoping it was only going to be a fluid change but the transfer case fluid was almost black , so ill be investing in a transfer case this month. when the A4WD is engaged and and sending power to the front and in 4HI , the truck pulls to the left. since its okay in 2Hi I am not thinking alignment what else can I look for ? this is my first 4x4 , but I'm somewhat mechanically inclined , just need some ideas and pointers.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Even if the fluid was almost black, if it works OK with new fluid I wouldn't replace the case quite yet. Mine was past due when I bought it but that case lasted through the life of the vehicle (215k miles, frame rotted but powertrain was solid).

It could be still alignment related, but more because of wear perhaps. When power is applied, the torque might be causing the alignment to shift due to worn suspension bushings (control arm, tie rod, etc). I'd just start by inspecting all that stuff.

Reactions: xavierny25

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Don't go by running in A4WD put it into actual 4hi to see if it is still pulling left. The clutches could pull it differently.

As Sparky said the color of the fluid could just be because it wasn't serviced as it should have been. You may want to sacrifice a fluid change to flush out other old crap from the transfer case. Maybe run it for 1000 miles and then check the color and replace it again. It should be services every 50,000 miles.

Reactions: xavierny25

KEEBZ489

Original poster
Jan 16, 2018
Howard Beach NY
the pull in A4WD is only sometimes , I assume its when the front actually grips. in 4HI it constantly pulls , bad , like within 4-5 car lengths I would be in oncoming traffic if I didn't correct the steering. the case I found was used with 104K miles $170 shipped with no motor and a 6 month warranty. the whine is still there in 4HI , it was also banging when coming to a stop , the whine is less now , but bang is still there I will be doing differential fluids this weekend. I know sway bar links are bad front and back , I can twist them by hand , but no noise over bumps

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
If it were me, I would probably get all of the fluids changed out and while I was down there I would inspect the front end. The front end having worn part will only be amplified when in 4WD.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Just a thought from me guys, but could it also be the intermediate shaft on the passenger side being stripped that would cause him to pull to the left? We had this similar issue with the tbss and that thing is awd. That is of course before we did all the tranny rebuild, transfer case rebuilt and all the goodies on the passenger side.

Then again it would probably be throwing a code for the awd/stabiltrak and such.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
An 05 4x4 doesn't have stabilitrak. They didn't add that to 4x4 models until 06.

If the intermediate shaft was stripped, it would just make no power worth mentioning go to either front wheel as the torque would just "bleed off" on the free-spinning side, similar to if the disconnect never engaged. Still, if everything else checks out, it is worth going over everything.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online