Trailblazer needs a replacement map light button!

gpking

Original poster
Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
A few days ago I decided to swap all of my interior light bulbs for LED, and lucky me, just as I was finishing up the last map light, the push-button broke off and flew inside the ceiling.
I reached around as far as my hand could feel, and the button is nowhere to be found.
The button is mainly plastic, so a magnet won't be able to find it even if it is close to the hole.

View attachment 31777
Question: Does anyone know where can I get this button? All I can find online is the entire light assembly which I do not need.
I'm hesitant to make a trip to the junkyard just for this button, so if I could just order it online that's be great.
Thanks!

Attachments

• Lightbutton.jpg
    Lightbutton.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 14

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Welcome!

Classic spare parts issue. GM has no incentive to make tiny, tiny spare parts available so the consumer can save a buck while they make the investment in inventory that will probably never move. Recommend you fabricate one using one from the other side as a pattern, or just pay the couple of bucks the junkyard wants.

Unless by some amazing coincidence somebody here has one from a junker they're willing to pass on.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Or just jog on down to your local pick-a-part and get a switch out of a junker.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Check around your B pillar...that's where mine went when it flew off.

gpking

Original poster
Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
the roadie said:
Welcome!
Classic spare parts issue. GM has no incentive to make tiny, tiny spare parts available so the consumer can save a buck while they make the investment in inventory that will probably never move. Recommend you fabricate one using one from the other side as a pattern, or just pay the couple of bucks the junkyard wants.
Unless by some amazing coincidence somebody here has one from a junker they're willing to pass on.
You'd be surprised, GM still makes parts for some old vehicles. My buddy just got a brand new set of fender flares for his 2000 S-10 ZR2 from GM themselves.
The local pick-a-part is really small and these exact dome lights are only on '02-'04 Trailblazers/Envoys/etc, so it's unlikely they'll even have one.

Wooluf1952 said:
:tiphat: Welcome:tiphat:
In case you haven't heard:
http://gmtnation.com/f5/welcome-gmtnation-com-heres-story-226/
You could also tape a piece of hose to your shop or regular vacuum. A thin piece of cloth or nylon stocking, inside the main hose, will keep the part from going into the vacuum tank.
That's a pretty good idea, it's a rainy bored Sunday here so I might just give that a try (if I still can't find it after taking panels off).

Mooseman said:
Or just jog on down to your local pick-a-part and get a switch out of a junker.
That was going to be my plan, but I didn't feel like making the 30 minute trip just to go get a small button and risk them not even having an '02-'04 Trailblazer/Envoy.

Matt said:
Check around your B pillar...that's where mine went when it flew off.
This light was the front passenger side one so it easily could have even flown into the A pillar.

Thanks guys for the warm welcome!
If my button search fails I was thinking I'd solder (or just tape) a small wire across the pins for the time being just so it doesn't look like I have a bulb out. Obviously the map light function wouldn't work until I found a button, but I put the broken light in the rear and nobody ever sits there anyway.
Missing the button is no big deal, I just wanted to see if anyone knew if it had a part number. It'd probably be too expensive to order it anyway. An entire dome light assembly is $12 on eBay, so I might just take the easy way out. :wink:

Envoy_04

Jul 1, 2013
Unrelated question: what LEDs and how much brighter are they? I'm doing research right now on which LEDs to use so that the lights are actually usable for something besides looks.

gpking

Original poster
Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
the roadie said:
$12 is not too expensive..... :biggrin:
In terms of expense, if I could find the button for a dollar or so, spending twelve on the assembly would be a waste.
Most likely I'll just order the $12 assembly. I couldn't find the button, not in the A-pillar, B-pillar, or anywhere near the site of the initial launch. :no:

Envoy_04 said:
Unrelated question: what LEDs and how much brighter are they? I'm doing research right now on which LEDs to use so that the lights are actually usable for something besides looks.
The bulbs I used for the map lights are 194s with 20 SMDs, and the dome light is a "41mm Festoon" 212-2 bulb also with 20 SMDs, they are hella bright. I spent about $10 for all of the bulbs on eBay (2x 212-2, 10x 194).
Aesthetically the bulbs make the interior feel much more modern, and as far as practicality they are much much brighter than normal bulbs. They were well worth it.
You can see the difference for yourself: http://gmtnation.com/f17/what-did-you-do-your-gmt-today-822/index282.html#post199833

Envoy_04

Jul 1, 2013
gpking said:
In terms of expense, if I could find the button for a dollar or so, spending twelve on the assembly would be a waste.
Most likely I'll just order the $12 assembly. I couldn't find the button, not in the A-pillar, B-pillar, or anywhere near the site of the initial launch. :no:

The bulbs I used for the map lights are 194s with 20 SMDs, and the dome light is a "41mm Festoon" 212-2 bulb also with 20 SMDs, they are hella bright. I spent about $10 for all of the bulbs on eBay (2x 212-2, 10x 194).
Aesthetically the bulbs make the interior feel much more modern, and as far as practicality they are much much brighter than normal bulbs. They were well worth it.
You can see the difference for yourself: http://gmtnation.com/f17/what-did-you-do-your-gmt-today-822/index282.html#post199833

BIG difference! :thumbsup: If you don't mind could I get a brand or better yet a link to the bulbs? That's exactly the results I'm looking for

EDIT: the 212-2 bulbs are for the cargo area light, right?

gpking

Original poster
Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
Envoy_04 said:
BIG difference! :thumbsup: If you don't mind could I get a brand or better yet a link to the bulbs? That's exactly the results I'm looking for

EDIT: the 212-2 bulbs are for the cargo area light, right?
I got all of the bulbs from eBay, so they didn't have a brand.
The 194's were from seller "cenn2010" and came in a pack of 10.
The 212-2 bulb is ONLY for the hatch/cargo area light, and I got it in a pack of two from seller "keylessking".

As long as you have an '02-'04 you need eight 194's and one 212-2.

Back to my topic, lucky enough my buddy's stepdad scored himself a 2000 Chevy Blazer to be parted out (it's arriving tomorrow).
He's gonna let me pick around at it, so maybe I'll find a similar button to my missing one.
(Plus my hatch glass needs some new hatch struts and I need a cup-holder liner!)

Envoy_04

Jul 1, 2013
gpking said:
I got all of the bulbs from eBay, so they didn't have a brand.
The 194's were from seller "cenn2010" and came in a pack of 10.
The 212-2 bulb is ONLY for the hatch/cargo area light, and I got it in a pack of two from seller "keylessking".

As long as you have an '02-'04 you need eight 194's and one 212-2.

Back to my topic, lucky enough my buddy's stepdad scored himself a 2000 Chevy Blazer to be parted out (it's arriving tomorrow).
He's gonna let me pick around at it, so maybe I'll find a similar button to my missing one.
(Plus my hatch glass needs some new hatch struts and I need a cup-holder liner!)

Thats great info, just what I needed. The other two from the 10 pack could go into the license plate lights.

Sorry for kind of jacking your thread, hope you have good luck with the parts Blazer! :thumbsup:

gpking

Original poster
Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
Envoy_04 said:
Thats great info, just what I needed. The other two from the 10 pack could go into the license plate lights.
I actually used the extra two to replace the side marker lights, that way they matched the LED turn signals.

Envoy_04 said:
Sorry for kind of jacking your thread, hope you have good luck with the parts Blazer! :thumbsup:
No problem, I'm more than happy to help.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnnnyj

Members Online