TrailBlazer Model Year vs. In-Door Speakers

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
If you're just replacing the speakers and using the original wires, Bose uses a different connection, so the adapters allow for plug and play, rather than cut and hack.

Actually, I meant speaker housing adapters - to mount 'standard' 6.5" speaks into the 8" holes you get by removing the Bose woofers in the front door locations. It appears (to me) that Scosche is the only company still making / selling them now (-?) 'Making' is probably a misnomer...they're just selling excess inventory at this point, I'm sure.

Reactions: Matt

SEMIJim

Original poster
Apr 13, 2013
OK, the GMOS-04 will retain everything including the fader. That's the one you want. The one I got (stupidly) does everything BUT retain the fader. Yes it is front to rear, that's what a fader does.
Very well. Thanks!

If you're just replacing the speakers and using the original wires, Bose uses a different connection, so the adapters allow for plug and play, rather than cut and hack.
I don't plan to replace any speakers. I just installed Bose woofers (purchased off eBay, w/enclosures) to replace the three-way speakers the PO had put in, and a pair of Alpine SPS-510 coaxials in the rear.

The system never sounded so good.

But, but, on Bose systems, there is no fader!
Are we talking about the same thing? Because mine sure enough can fade back-to-front.

Reactions: Matt

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Are we talking about the same thing? Because mine sure enough can fade back-to-front.

It could be a year thing. My '02 specifically said not to connect the rear RCA's because there is no fading. Could have changed when it went to digital.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Well, either the Metra or PAC adapter didn't allow fading and I could only connect two of the four RCA inputs. I remember it buggered the sound. Was in the instructions even.

SEMIJim

Original poster
Apr 13, 2013
Much as I'd like to upgrade the HU--maybe get a sound quality bump, be able to play MP3s, maybe even get really ambitious and put in a back-up camera, it sounds like there's a distinct possibility of losing other things, incl. reliability.

Btw: I had the panel under the glove box off the other day. I was entertaining the idea of "restoring" my 2007's cabin air filter that GM removed. I don't think I'm going to be trying that, but, I did find there's a rectangular metal box and a bunch of wiring harness in there. Is that normal in a Bose system, or is it possibly something the PO left in there?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
there's a distinct possibility of losing other things, incl. reliability.

It's not any worse than the POS OEM HU and you gain so much more functionality. Heck, I've got Spotify, Torque, back-up camera and maps on both of my Android HU's. Very nice.

I did find there's a rectangular metal box and a bunch of wiring harness in there. Is that normal in a Bose system, or is it possibly something the PO left in there?

Not normal for Bose. Do you have a rear DVD? In my '02, it had one and it had an FM modulator wired into the antenna. It had a bunch of extra wiring wire from the DVD rolled up.

SEMIJim

Original poster
Apr 13, 2013
Not normal for Bose. Do you have a rear DVD? In my '02, it had one and it had an FM modulator wired into the antenna. It had a bunch of extra wiring wire from the DVD rolled up.
Nope. But, as I noted earlier (I think?): The PO had obviously upgraded the sound system at some point (there are marks on the back of the right rear seat where something had been mounted, the right rear speaker had been missing, the left rear speaker was a coaxial and the front door speakers were three-ways), then, I'm guessing, put the original Bose HU back in before trading it in.

So it's kind of looking like he left a harness behind, too. I wonder what it is? I didn't see any printing on the box that looked helpful. I'll have to open it up again and give it a re-look.

ETA: It's normal if you have XM Radio support, which my Trailblazer's Bose system does. It's the XM Radio module.

(Meanwhile: I'm wondering why my wife showed me an advert for a pimped-out 2014 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition...
shake.gif
)

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online