Trailblazer, Envoy, 9-7X Front Differential Replacement Instructions

m.mcmillen

Original poster
Apr 29, 2016
Wisconsin
I have noticed lately that there has been talk of replacing the front differential with some. As these vehicles age, the likelihood of the front differential needing to be replaced will be going up, so I thought I'd share how I have replaced a couple of these, and it works pretty well.

For comparison sake, I have done this job "the right way". The service manual says that the oil pan and rack and pinion have to be pulled to change the front differential. This way is crazy hard.

I have done two of these front differentials in the last couple of months. I jacked the engine up and moved it over to the side. It is much easier than any other way I've read or tried. Here is how I have done it:

Some of these steps are things that most have already done so I won't dwell on them too long. If you have questions, feel free to ask.

First off, since you will be raising the engine, you need to remove the fan and shroud, so you don't damage anything there. I remove the shroud by removing the top radiator support to help lean the radiator back so the shroud will clear the upper outlet on the radiator. You also need to remove the upper radiator hose. You might want to drain a little coolant or use a suction gun to pull some out. Once you get done, it should look like this.

IMG_9598 copy.jpg

Next, you need to pull both of the front CV axles and the axle disconnect on the passenger side. Once the axle disconnect is out, pull the intermediate shaft out of the oil pan. These aren't usually hard to get out. Most times, you can screw a 6MM bolt into the end of the shaft and pull on it with vise grips. There is no retaining clip on the differential side so there isn't much holding on to the shaft. Now would be a good time to disconnect the front drive shaft from the differential. You should get some sort of tape (I use electrical tape) and wrap it around the u-joint caps so they don't fall off while you're working. You don't want to chase needle bearings around.

Now comes the fun part - The lower nuts for the engine mounts need to come out. Once you get the nuts off use a jack and a piece of wood and raise the engine up just enough so that the threads of the stud on the engine mount are through the hole. You don't want to move the engine any more than you have to.
IMG_9884 copy.jpg

Once the engine is up, get a ratchet strap and hook it through the lifting eye on the drivers side of the engine. Connect the other end to something solid on the passenger side (or if you have something solid not connected to the vehicle that is fine too). Here is how I hooked it.
IMG_2782 copy.jpg

Once you're hooked on, pull the engine over as far as you can with the ratchet strap. It doesn't take a whole lot of force. Make sure when you're doing this that you don't go too far, the first time I attempted this, I poked a hole in one of the heater hoses that goes into the heater core by the firewall.

Here’s a picture of what it looks like when there’s enough room to wiggle it out.
AE594F00-FFCD-4D4F-B073-0000940B01C6.jpeg

Now, go back underneath and unbolt the differential from the oil pan. Sometimes the differential is really corroded in there so it might take some persuasion and some penetrating oil. Once the differential is free from the pan, move it over to the side and lower the engine a bit. Keep an eye on it because as you lower it, it will move more to the passenger's side and give you more room. You might have to go up and down a couple times to see where it will give you the most clearance.

As you're getting the differential out, bear in mind that even though it will come out the bottom it isn't going to just fall out. It will take some wiggling and maneuvering around to find the right angle to get it out.

An idea of how tight it is, I had to use a pry bar to gently coax the differential back in. Coming out, I had to give it a good pull as I was standing underneath and it popped loose almost sending it to the floor.

IMG_3614.JPG

IMG_2182.JPG

And there, it is free! Note the position of those engine mounts to see how far the engine moved over.
IMG_8693 copy.jpg

If you're installing a used unit, now would be a good time to replace both of the output seals. I wouldn't mess with the pinion seal unless it is leaking. It is also a good idea when you're putting it back together to put a coating of anti seize on the axle disconnect and the differential so if either has to come out later, they will come out easier.

Now you pretty much reverse the procedure. I will note that the best way to get the engine lined back up would be to jack it up so that the studs are high enough and then release the strap. You will probably need some help getting the mounts lined back up.

This should work on all 4.2 liter inline 6 engines in Trailblazers, Envoys, Ascenders, and 9-7X

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Good job! Added to the Drivetrain FAQ. I was amazed by the space that opened up by just moving the engine to the side. And even then, it's still a tight fit.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I did mine through the bottom and loosen the engine, but I will do it the next time trough the top. Did you try that method? It seems to be the easiest go to for the offroad crowd that does a lot of them.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Now I wonder how either way would work on a V8? I have one in the Saab that I wouldn't mind taking out since I removed the AWD just to save a bit of weight and reuse in the TB.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
So heres my question. If you pull the fan off the hub, and lean it foward against the radiator, why do you need to pull the shroud and fan out?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
fishsticks wrote:Today was disassembly day.

Since most reports I could find of front diff removal were sketchy at best, I had to come up with my own plan of attack. I was set on not dropping the oil pan. My first plan was to jack the engine up as some have talked about and try to pull the front diff out from the rear of the motor. I ended up changing plans midway through as I just couldn't get the clearance to get it out that way. When all was said and done I removed the diff from the top of the engine bay.

Here's a roughly reorganized step by step for someone who wants to do this.

1. Jack front of truck up and support by the frame with jackstands placed approximately at the seam of the fenders/doors.
2. Remove front wheels.
3. Drain front diff fluid.
4. Drain cooling system.
5. Disconnect both outer tie rods from hub assemblies.
6. Disconnect ABS and brake lines from holddowns.
7. Disconnect upper control arms from upper balljoints. Allow hub assemblies to hang on lower ball joints. Make sure you aren't stressing ABS or brake lines.
8. Pop axle tripod joints out of diff and splined disconnect. (Letting the hubs hang first puts a little outward pressure on the CVs and makes this SO EASY).
9. Remove splined disconnect.
10. Remove intermediate shaft. I bought a slide hammer for this purpose and expected a fight. I didn't need it. I screwed one of the bolts that holds the PCM into the hole in the shaft and pulled. The shaft came right out. My inner seal was worn and leaking. The new seal had a bit more grab to it, and I needed the slide hammer to get it back out.
11. Disconnect the front driveshaft from the front differential yoke. Tie up and out of the way.
12. Remove driver side strut assembly. (Makes a lot of room to work.) The second time I didn't unbolt the assembly front the LCA. I just unbolted the two top nuts and pivoted it outwards as needed.
13. Unbolt radiator shroud support brackets.
14. Remove accessory belt.
15. Loosen PCM bolts.
16. Remove alternator and engine lift bracket. Also remove bolt from wiring harness tiedown nearby.
17. Disconnect battery and remove battery and tray.
18. Loosen top nut of passenger side motor mount. Remove top nut of driver's side motor mount.
19. Place jack and block of wood under oil pan. Jack up motor until driver side mount is free.
20. Unbolt driver side motor mount bracket. These are the 3 large bolts on the outside of the frame. Remove mount and bracket.
21. Use jack to move motor up and down to get at hard to reach bolts for next steps.
22. Remove driver's side coolant hose.
23. Remove idler pulley.
24. Remove thermostat.
25. Disconnect wiring plugs (2) from AC compressor.
26. Unbolt AC compressor. Pull up to top of engine through hole you've made. Leave lines connected (they'll flex).
27. Unbolt differential from oil pan. (2 bolts in front, 1 on bottom, 1 in rear near driveshaft yoke).
28. Lightly pry differential away from oil pan.
29. Pull differential up through top of engine bay.
30. Drink a beer, you deserve it.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
fishsticks wrote:Today was disassembly day.

Since most reports I could find of front diff removal were sketchy at best, I had to come up with my own plan of attack. I was set on not dropping the oil pan. My first plan was to jack the engine up as some have talked about and try to pull the front diff out from the rear of the motor. I ended up changing plans midway through as I just couldn't get the clearance to get it out that way. When all was said and done I removed the diff from the top of the engine bay.

Here's a roughly reorganized step by step for someone who wants to do this.

1. Jack front of truck up and support by the frame with jackstands placed approximately at the seam of the fenders/doors.
2. Remove front wheels.
3. Drain front diff fluid.
4. Drain cooling system.
5. Disconnect both outer tie rods from hub assemblies.
6. Disconnect ABS and brake lines from holddowns.
7. Disconnect upper control arms from upper balljoints. Allow hub assemblies to hang on lower ball joints. Make sure you aren't stressing ABS or brake lines.
8. Pop axle tripod joints out of diff and splined disconnect. (Letting the hubs hang first puts a little outward pressure on the CVs and makes this SO EASY).
9. Remove splined disconnect.
10. Remove intermediate shaft. I bought a slide hammer for this purpose and expected a fight. I didn't need it. I screwed one of the bolts that holds the PCM into the hole in the shaft and pulled. The shaft came right out. My inner seal was worn and leaking. The new seal had a bit more grab to it, and I needed the slide hammer to get it back out.
11. Disconnect the front driveshaft from the front differential yoke. Tie up and out of the way.
12. Remove driver side strut assembly. (Makes a lot of room to work.) The second time I didn't unbolt the assembly front the LCA. I just unbolted the two top nuts and pivoted it outwards as needed.
13. Unbolt radiator shroud support brackets.
14. Remove accessory belt.
15. Loosen PCM bolts.
16. Remove alternator and engine lift bracket. Also remove bolt from wiring harness tiedown nearby.
17. Disconnect battery and remove battery and tray.
18. Loosen top nut of passenger side motor mount. Remove top nut of driver's side motor mount.
19. Place jack and block of wood under oil pan. Jack up motor until driver side mount is free.
20. Unbolt driver side motor mount bracket. These are the 3 large bolts on the outside of the frame. Remove mount and bracket.
21. Use jack to move motor up and down to get at hard to reach bolts for next steps.
22. Remove driver's side coolant hose.
23. Remove idler pulley.
24. Remove thermostat.
25. Disconnect wiring plugs (2) from AC compressor.
26. Unbolt AC compressor. Pull up to top of engine through hole you've made. Leave lines connected (they'll flex).
27. Unbolt differential from oil pan. (2 bolts in front, 1 on bottom, 1 in rear near driveshaft yoke).
28. Lightly pry differential away from oil pan.
29. Pull differential up through top of engine bay.
30. Drink a beer, you deserve it.
I just dont see that working with a V8, but have been told it does....

m.mcmillen

Original poster
Apr 29, 2016
Wisconsin
So heres my question. If you pull the fan off the hub, and lean it foward against the radiator, why do you need to pull the shroud and fan out?

I guess you really wouldn’t have to. I prefer to have the extra room and no chance of the fan hub getting caught on something.

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
The I6 diff can easily come out the top side by removing the ecm, alternator, fan shroud, ac pump (without disconnecting hoses), and battery/tray. You don't need to move the motor over if you go this route. It's how I did mine. The rad hoses may need to be disconnected also, can't really remember . I think i replaced my thermostat while I had it all apart.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That's what I say. This way seems like less stuff to take off.

m.mcmillen

Original poster
Apr 29, 2016
Wisconsin
This one actually took longer. I got it all in and then realized I put the seals in the wrong place so I had to pull it back out. Talk abut frustrating!

The last one I did was the 4 hour one. Haha

SoundBass

Apr 18, 2020
Sarnia ON
I did mine last week following m.mcmiillen's way. I found that I had to relocate the ratchet strap down lower to get the bottom of the engine swung over(I installed a diff bolt into the front diff-mounting hole). The diff basically fell out then. Also, I found that even though the engine mount studs were a touch off-centre, I could tease them into the hole.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigboylove

Members Online