Trailblazer dual park circuit boards

MAY03LT

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
done.jpg

This is how I did quad parks. For the most part, I copied a method shown on the other site, but I changed a thing or two for more reliable connections that can withstand excessive vibrations.

I used my 2 OEM stockers (NOT dormans) to be the finished products and 2 OEM donors (NOT dormans) for their sockets and pins. As I learned from Kardain, the dorman boards are different as they have wires instead of the metal strips (which I call tabs).

I started by taking a stock board, and removing the rubber rings.

1opening.jpg

1opening1.jpg

Next, I used a small flat head screwdriver to carefully pry the two halves apart. I'd stick the tip in, rotate the tip to pop it loose a little, then work my way around the board. This was done to all 4 boards.

1opening2.jpg

1opening4.jpg

1opening5.jpg

1opening6.jpg

1opening7.jpg

I removed the top socket (4 pin brake/park) and the middle socket from each of the donor boards, and the middle socket only from each of the stocker boards. The middle sockets from each donor board were only removed to get the tab from the donors middle socket.

I used a 13/64" drill bit to knock down the plastic weld that holds the sockets into place.

2removingsock.jpg

Here you can see the lower left side (drilled) and the lower right side (not drilled). All 4 welds were drilled down.

2removingsock1.jpg

2removingsock2.jpg

To keep the metal tabs from getting bent up while removing the socket, I held them down with a small screwdriver while wiggling that side. I did the same for the other side.

2removingsock3.jpg

2removingsock4.jpg

Done! This is one of the stockers with the middle socket removed. This was repeated with the other stocker. This was also repeated with the donors, but I removed the top and middle.

2removingsock5.jpg

For the donor boards, this shows what tabs I removed to use with the donor socket that is going on the modded board.

3pinremoval.jpg

I took the two pin ground tab, and inserted it into left (ground) side of the donors top socket. I then trimmed down the tab as shown a few pics down.

4buildsocket1.jpg

I took the single pin tab, and inserted it into the lower right cavity of the donors top socket. I then trimmed the tab down.

4buildsocket2.jpg

I bent the single pin tab up at a slight angle so it won't touch the other tab. I twisted up a small piece of wire about 3" long into the hole in the tab. You can also see the tab that is now trimmed.

4buildsocket3.jpg

Soldered the wire to the tab.

4buildsocket4.jpg

For the ground side, I took another piece of wire, twisted it around the hole in the tab, and soldered.

4buildsocket5.jpg

Done! This is ready to be put into the stock board, but the board isn't ready yet.

4buildsocket6.jpg

MAY03LT

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
I prepped the stocker board first by drilling down the plastic weld near the middle sockets ground.

5addingsock1.jpg

The original ground tab was pushed down flat.

5addingsock4.jpg

I fed the other end of the wire that goes to the modded sockets ground through the hole in the stocker board, and twisted it up good. I used a screwdriver to hold it up off the board so I could solder it without melting the board.

5addingsock5.jpg

5addingsock6.jpg

For the park light 12v wire, I stripped enough to clear the "hump" and have enough wire to wrap it around the park tab and twist it up good. Once again, I propped it up a little with a screwdriver, then soldered it.

5addingsock7.jpg

5addingsock8.jpg

I don't have a pic of this, but two of the pins in each of the modded boards covers near the middle socket were shaved down where they would have hit the added wiring.

I used the loctite plastic epoxy, one tube did one board.

6epoxy.jpg

Clamped the boards, and then played the waiting game.

6epoxy1.jpg

And for my dude STLtrailbSS, I turned it up a notch. OH YEAH!!!!:biggrin:

6epoxy3.jpg

All done!:cool:

[video=youtube;P9kK4GzYUC8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9kK4GzYUC8[/video]

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
I love the quad look, My paypal account will soon be used lol Im watching some on eBay. Mod Bug Time
Oh and don't worry I have the C Clamps!
IMAG0241.jpg

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
Interested to see how these turn out.

*subbed

Cable810

Dec 5, 2011
Lookin good :thumbsup: I think Quad Tails look so goood on TBs. This is Deffinitly one MOD I want to do to my TB. I'm just scared to do is as I don't want to Screw anything up..... Anyone wanna do this for me???

MAY03LT

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
In my version, I used 2 OEM TB donor boards to get (2) 4 pin sockets and the tabs. Another member mentioned that the OEM Envoy boards have (2) 4 pin sockets. I got a pair off ebay and cracked mine open tonight to see if the sockets are the same. The good news is, they are.

Envoy board next to a TB board.
Envoyboards.jpg

Envoyboards1.jpg

Envoyboards2.jpg

Envoyboards3.jpg

Envoyboards4.jpg

The bad news is, the middle socket doesn't have a dual ground pin. I'm not familiar with the Envoy lights, so I don't know how the squatch this is even possible:undecided:

Envoyboards5.jpg

Envoyboards6.jpg

Envoyboards7.jpg

Bottom socket had them.
Envoyboards8.jpg

Envoyboards9.jpg

Since it only has one dual ground pin, I guess that you could just leave the first ground intact, and put another tab into the middle sockets second ground spot, and run a jumper to the ground strip.

For anyone who may do this, I had a HECK of a time getting the tabs out of the sockets in the Envoy boards when compared to the TB boards. I've had enough practice to get the TB tabs out without trouble. The Envoys fought me every step of the way. In the pics, you can probably see where the tabs got tweaked and I bent them back into place.

Envoyboards10.jpg

So, you can learn from my trial and error.
-if you use a single OEM TB donor board, like the guy in the thread on the OS did, you use the top socket for the middle socket in the first modded board. You have to depin one of the remaining sockets, bend the tabs to a "mirror image", and use them in the empty cavities of another socket for the middle socket in the second modded board.
-if you use 2 OEM TB donor boards, you get (2) 4 pin sockets which in my opinion gave a better "bite" on the bulbs compared to the depinned/bended/repinned sockets mentioned above.
-if you use a single OEM Envoy board, you get 2 of the coveted (2) 4 pin sockets.

If I had to do it again I would get the single OEM Envoy board. It's the best value and the least amount of work. All credit goes to Short Bus for pointing this out.:cool:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online