Trailblazer crank no start

John1969

Original poster
Jun 5, 2020
Fresno
Good evening I’m looking for some advise I have a 2008 trailblazer four wheel drive 4.2 and it won’t start it cranks over for a few seconds then you hear a little pop out of the exhaust the timing is good it’s all lined up where it needs to be any thoughts thanks

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Reactions: mrrsm

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
What code exactly? If still getting the same code, it might be a wiring issue. Need to check continuity. Download the manuals from the link in my signature and check the schematics.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Welcome to GMT Nation...

P1345....?

...and for ALL of the other FAQ Sub-Sections:

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
John, did you do any work to it before it wouldn't start? Was it acting up prior? A little history would be helpful.

Did the chain or tensioner get moved, replaced? Does the fuel pump prime then shut off when the key is turned to RUN?

Reactions: Mooseman

John1969

Original poster
Jun 5, 2020
Fresno
It’s has code p0335 p0355 p0352 everything is working like it should just will not give spark could it be a bad fuse box?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Just shooting in the dark here but P0352 and P0355 could be a result of the P0335. So apart from check wiring to the crank sensor, you might not be able to diagnose any further without a high end scanner or scope to check for a crank signal.

So check for voltage and ground at the crank sensor and continuity on the 3rd wire to the PCM.

Reactions: TJBaker57 and mrrsm

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Using a Bright Flash-Light... make a very close examination of all the harnesses and connectors around the PCM and other areas on the Engine and look for any signs of chewed on or damaged wiring caused by rodent activities.

If you find anything sideways... use these Diagrams to confirm the Circuit #, Wiring Insulation Color(s) required and dial in on the Start and Ignition Circuit and Fuel Pump connections first if anything has been destroyed requiring Pairing-Up, Soldering and Insulation using Automotive Shrink Tubing:

PCMPINOUTS1.pngPCMPINOUTS2.pngPCMPINOUTS3.pngPCMPINOUTS4.pngPCMPINOUT5.jpegGMCLASS2NETWORK.jpegBCM2004DIAGRAM.jpeg

Reactions: gmcman and Mooseman

Jul 24, 2012
What’s my best option
Your best option may be to supply more information.
timing is good it’s all lined up where it needs to be any thoughts thanks
Like, how and why do you know that? Is this the last step in an engine swap? Is this your daily driver and it just didn't start one day and you checked the timing? I'm not half the mechanic most of the people here are, but I do a lot of troubleshooting and the sense I get is that there is a strong possibility that the answer is in the information that has not been shared yet.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Is this the last step in an engine swap? Is this your daily driver and it just didn't start one day and you checked the timing?

I agree, we need to know this. Makes it easier for us to focus our attention.

If you replaced the crank sensor already, it sounds like either an ongoing issue or somethig as a result of.

What did the old sensor look like? Was there crud on the end? How long did the last sensor work for?

Did you swap motors? Short block? If so any discrepancy in model years?

John1969

Original poster
Jun 5, 2020
Fresno
It’s a engine swap the engine that was in there blew up so the old sensor was no good because when the motor let go it took the sensor out also so I purchased a new switch all the timing marks are lined up it’s getting fuel just no spark but it keeps throwing the code crank sensor p0335

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
So you have a 2008 Truck, and what year, make, and model, did your donor engine come out of?

John1969

Original poster
Jun 5, 2020
Fresno
the new motor is. 2003. It’s a customers car i put a 2008 motor in my 2002 with no problems at all only thing I had to do was make a longer connector for the ten sensor and that’s it

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
2003/2002 going into a 2008 are NOT Interchangeable. Someone will chime in why. But you will likely have to pull that motor and start over with the correct motor.

Please see here also..

07, and likely we could salvage it, but 08.. Not happening per my research here..

Last edited:

John1969

Original poster
Jun 5, 2020
Fresno
I put a 2008 in my 2002 no problems at all works wonderfully passes smog no check engine light nothing. That’s my personal
A customer brought in a 2008 with a 2003 motor this is the one I’m having trouble with

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I stand by my post above, re-read if you need to. Sorry man, 08/09 only work in 08/09.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
You may have gotten a pre-production motor, making it an 07 in an 08, or something to that effect. But 08 and 09 engine only work in those years, and no other years will interchange with an 08/09.

John1969

Original poster
Jun 5, 2020
Fresno
Yeah maybe your right I just got lucky so The customer is not worried about the smog at all now can I replace the complete wire harness from the 2003 with the 2003 computer as well for it to work

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
@Mooseman maybe able to help in explaining it more. I am a V8 guy, but have picked up a lot of knowledge while trolling the forums. Its more than the harness. Its also the PCM, and possibly the TCM. Quite a bit more involved. Plus reprogramming, and still not guaranteed to work. Its easier to find the correct motor.

John1969

Original poster
Jun 5, 2020
Fresno
Ok if I can swap the the complete wire harness that’s not a problem I have the complete wire harness pcm Tcm original catalytic converter off the 2003 and everything

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
@TollKeeper is 100% correct.

4.2L interchangeability by years
4.2L Incompatibility by years ('04 engine in '08 truck, no start)

And the '08 motor in the '02 is quite impossible without major issues or a complete rewire. An '07 is possible but it's not completely plug and play. The ignition coils are different and use a different connector, fuel injection rail needs to be retained from the '02 and the coolant temp sensor was moved from near the thermostat on the '02 to the other side and rear of the head on the '07.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
And swapping the '03 harness into the '08 would not work due to differences in wiring between the years as well as the newer BCM not recognizing the older PCM. Also, '03 didn't have a separate TCM.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
@John1969 , I feel your pain. I want to put a later LS2 V8 in my Envoy, but my wiring only supports a 24x reluctor, and the LS2 supports a 58X reluctor. I can still do it, but it means sending the crank out to a machine shop to do the reluctor swap. Which means its no longer a viable, or cost effective, option. Not even including the DOD refit.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online