Trail Gear Rock Sliders

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Originally from 10-7-09

I finally got the truck all lifted with the suspension and 3 in body. I knew I needed rock rails for protection, but needed to get the body lift done so I could keep them tucked up as close to the body as possible. I plan to add plates to the frame where they will be welded to and gussets. BartonMD will be doing most of the fab work to mount them. I bought the 67 in Trail Gear Slider kit. Seems well built and should work pretty good. I went with the shorter length due to my fenders being cut and having only a about 72 inches that need protection and the ends not taking the direct hits usually. I will shade them toward the front and probaly add a small 4 inch extention on the back by welding a tube off the end. I figure sleeving the tube and welding should be enough for right in front of the rear tire.

But here are a couple pics so far. Just got them yesterday and hopefully next week will install them.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Mock up fit

slider5.jpg

slider6.jpg

slider4.jpg

slider7.jpg

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
A HUGE THANKS TO BARTONMD. He did an awesome job getting these welded up for me. Bout 4 hours install time I would guess, but took a bit longer since we had to figure where they would go and how they should fit up. Got about 1/8 in flex in them with the truck jacked up by the rail. Should be plenty strong enough. 4x4 plates on frame with bend over top of frame except where fuel lines were, just plates there. Bottom gusseted on each leg. Super strong and should work well.

8.jpg

7.jpg

6.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

11.jpg

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
With the amount of crud in the door sills, i decided to try and stick the plastic rocker pieces back on. Amazingly without trying, they fit in almost perfect. Just had to cut a couple inches off the front to match the fenders better.

I know its filthy but everyone likes pics, so....

rockerpanels2.jpg

rockerpanels.jpg

Well as somewhat seen in the previous pics, the salt and snow and trails had virtually stripped the $2spray can paint off the sliders. Fully expected to need to redo them and finally came to the decision to try the Rustoleum Hammered Finish brush on paint in black. It is fairly cheap and easy to touch up. However, it is not black, more gray. The amaizing thing is that like por 15 it says to go right over rust, so i did minimal clean up and gave it try.

Here you can see the oputside is painted and the part closer to the truck is the before.
rail2.jpg

Her you can see the finish of the paint. It looks great and you really cant tell I brushed it on.
rail1.jpg

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
They have held up very well and have been painted many times. I do have a large ding in one from a rock, but it saved my doors. I would advise anyone serious about wheeling to invest in some sliders.

Current pics...

2011-10-29_17-48-13_945.jpg

2011-10-29_17-48-24_78.jpg

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
Kyle, Mike helped you install these but makes his own sliders for our platform now, correct?

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
He has custom made some, but I believe all he has built have been welded on at his place or mine. I dont think he has built any and shipped, but I know his are really nice.

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
He has custom made some, but I believe all he has built have been welded on at his place or mine. I dont think he has built any and shipped, but I know his are really nice.

Ok, I was thinking that if you could get them shipped from Mike directly they likely need less modification than if you bought the ones from Trail Gear and adapted them to fit.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
navigator said:
Ok, I was thinking that if you could get them shipped from Mike directly they likely need less modification than if you bought the ones from Trail Gear and adapted them to fit.

Mine really were not modified, I bought the weld together kit...

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
CdnGMan said:
How was the angle of the slider determined?

In other words, the angle from the bars attached to the frame?
Hope that makes sense... :confused:

To get the most ground clearance, we did the sliders 1/2" below the rocker on the inside, and 1/2" below the opened door on the outside...

Mike

Shdwdrgn

Dec 4, 2011
What was the purpose of the 4" plates welded to the frame? Does the frame need the reinforcement, or did that just make it easier to weld pieces together?

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
Shdwdrgn said:
What was the purpose of the 4" plates welded to the frame? Does the frame need the reinforcement, or did that just make it easier to weld pieces together?

Our frame is strong, because it's boxed, not because it's thick... Our frame is actually pretty thin, and therefore, welding just the tube to the middle of the frame would cause the sliders to flex...

Mike

Shdwdrgn

Dec 4, 2011
Makes sense... What did you use, 1/4" plate for those?

Shdwdrgn

Dec 4, 2011
Good to know. I'd love to do this mod some day. The first time I took my TB up a 4x4 trail, it turned out to be much rougher than the last time I'd been up there, and I had one spot coming back down where I was sure I was going to drop my center frame across a rock. I cleared (whew!), but I'd love to have the protection so I can get back up on trails like that again. The TrailGear sliders are a great price, so that's what I've been looking at getting.

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
Yup, I have some as well. I opted for the 78" (?) model to be able to mount them backwards. I felt this would provide better coverage.

Seeing this thread reminds me that I need to get a new coat of paint on them.

DSC_2536.jpg

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
Regulator said:
Yup, I have some as well. I opted for the 78" (?) model to be able to mount them backwards. I felt this would provide better coverage.

Seeing this thread reminds me that I need to get a new coat of paint on them.

DSC_2536.jpg

Yes, but that only worked with me taking 4" out of the center of them, and welding back together...

Mike

fishsticks

Nov 21, 2011
Bartonmd said:
Yes, but that only worked with me taking 4" out of the center of them, and welding back together...

Mike

I had to take a total of 4" out of mine as well. Mine are not mounted "backwards".

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
Bartonmd said:

Mike

Sorry, I thought I had a line in there about how they had to be custom cut down and re-welded. I really shouldn't post while tired / drinking. I seem to have a habit of forgetting important details. :duh:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online