Amazon Product Tracking Amazon pricing changes

Reprise

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
(some of you may know this already - since I had just found out recently, I figured the info may be useful to others)

If you've ever shopped for items on Amazon, and wondered "how/why did the price change on that (so much) between <yesterday, last week, earlier today> and now" - it's because Amazon and their partner vendors are *always* changing prices. The trick, then, is to know when to 'strike', when a price drop occurs on an item you've been looking for.

I found a site called 'Keepa' (www.keepa.com) - it will track items for you, either in a general context, by category, by importing your wish / shopping lists, or by one specific item (and it will do all of these simultaneously).

As an example, I have one headlamp housing on the Envoy that has some clouding, and I haven't been able to 'restore' it to my satisfaction.
On a hunch, I searched for a vendor offering a headlamp. Found one who sells pairs - and over the last two days, the pricing has dropped by nearly $20 USD.

Here's a partial screencap showing the price trending (sorry for the x-axis being cut off at the bottom - it represents 'time' (in this case, over 3 months)

1518196777560.png

Now...will I purchase these today? Not sure....probably 'not' (I might be able to get them cheaper at a pick-n-pull, for example, and I don't need them 'today') But the trend shows these to be the lowest pricing in a long time, as of today.

I intend to use this tool for a bit to see if it helps - I hate paying more than I have to for an item, unless I have dire need for it.
Finally, the tool has several ways of notifying you about a change - via e-mail, FB, Twitter, RSS messaging, others. There's also versions for Android / Apple.

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I've also found Camel Camel Camel. Seems to be similar or may be the same. Good tip either way.

Reprise

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Yes - that app does the same thing, which is to track algorithmic pricing.

Those times where something is ridiculously cheap - more often than not, it's due to multiple sellers setting an 'always price item x$ or x% lower than next lowest - and when two or more sellers do that at the same time, prices can swing in the buyer's favor - at least for a time.

Case in point - I found a NOS GM fender liner for $21 yesterday (with a 'only 1 left in stock' attached) Since that was easily half of the usual pricing (and I need the part), I bought it.

Today I check that same item, and cheapest price was $62. (same vendor, etc.) And now there were 12 in stock, where it didn't say 'more on the way' yesterday.

Maybe Russian bots are on Amazon, too. All I know is...somethin' ain't right, and these tools help even the playing field - however slight.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I think a lot of these ultra low prices are simple mistakes. Case in point, $20 CAD for ACDelco rear brake disks on Amazon.ca. That could have been just a USD vs. CAD pricing error but another member did take advantage of it and bought 4 (stupid me I sat on it :frown: ). They immediately jacked the price up to $80.

Dr.Fiero

Dec 7, 2017
S. Alberta
I think a lot of these ultra low prices are simple mistakes. Case in point, $20 CAD for ACDelco rear brake disks on Amazon.ca. That could have been just a USD vs. CAD pricing error but another member did take advantage of it and bought 4 (stupid me I sat on it :frown: ). They immediately jacked the price up to $80.

Ha! This was the exact item I was going to mention when I was reading the top of the thread... :smile:

Wish I'd grabbed a set at the time.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobby2175