TPMS Sensor Relearn Procedure

oldog

Original poster
Oct 10, 2017
Richmond, VA
Hi All Happy New Year,

I can't get my new tires sensors to be recognized by my 08 9-7x 4.2

Purchased new VDO-branded sensors and just had them installed (but not relearned) I am following the owners manual to relearn the new sensors and am unable to get the front drivers side sensor to be recognized. I am able to initiate the tire sensor relearn mode (key to run position, e-brake on, headlight switch off-parking light 4 times, horn beeps twice). Next step states to either remove or add air for up to 2 minutes in the drivers front tire. I tried both several times but nothing happens.

Anyone have a similar experience with this?

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Try programming again this time deflate or fill the passenger side. You may of gotten a bad sensor. Worth a shot and probably what I would do.

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I also had that problem with the CCC sensors that wouldn't relearn. I even have the TPMS tool, which worked great on my Caprice. I just put a piece of black tape over the light :biggrin: . My winter tires don't have sensors but in the spring, I'll try starting with the passenger to see if it is a dud sensor.

oldog

Original poster
Oct 10, 2017
Richmond, VA
Tried the right front and no dice! I was short on time so I didn't try the backs. Obviously that is needed for a conclusion on whether the sensors are duds but I've read somewhere to reset the lift gate module by pulling fuses. I suppose that can't hurt.

Please tell me I got the right ones!

VDO Redi-Sensor SE10001HP Programmable TPMS Sensor

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Looked it up and it appears to be the right one. Found these instructions and it says you need a TPMS tool with these sensors.
https://www.rockauto.com/genImages/260/V0511019877GM-A.pdf

For OE sensors lower the air pressure or use TPMS scan tool trigger at valve
stem in the left-front tire until the horn beeps once. Use TPMS scan tool trigger
at valve stem for REDI-Sensor.

Tool isn't too expensive. I have this one and it worked fine for me:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072BK693N/?tag=gmtnation-20

So I guess you can't use the "let out the air" method with these.

oldog

Original poster
Oct 10, 2017
Richmond, VA
What attention to detail! I missed that subtle distinction between their OE and Redi-sensor line. I'll give this a shot and let you know. Thank you for looking at this!

BTW, pulling the 2 LGM fuses removed my service tire sensor message and flashing idiot light. Although now I see the check tires pressure message and solid orange light.

Hopefully those annoying messages all go away with the relearn tool. Waiting patiently for delivery.

Rouxzy

Dec 17, 2011
Had same issue with my Saab 97x. Purchased the tool that Mooseman reccommends and it works perfect.

oldog

Original poster
Oct 10, 2017
Richmond, VA
Had same issue with my Saab 97x. Purchased the tool that Mooseman reccommends and it works perfect.

Good to hear! Looking forward to trying this out tomorrow.

It will be nice to do it in my driveway and not have to drive to a gas station just to refill all the air I released!

oldog

Original poster
Oct 10, 2017
Richmond, VA
So far no luck with the relearn tool!

Going to try again, I even pulled and replaced the LGM fuses thinking that might help. I am pretty sure I can enter relearn mode because I can get my horn to beep twice with the headlight switch.

Hmm, turning into quite a task!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I now that with the relearn tool, on a couple of them, I had to push the button a second time and reposition a bit.

oldog

Original poster
Oct 10, 2017
Richmond, VA
Well, still can't get these things to relearn. Is it worth purchasing a different relearn tool? If I started over on this, I would have just ponied up the $65 per tire and have Discount tire take care of this from the start. Or buy an '07 or earlier to avoid the sensors altogether!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
07 also had TPMS. Honestly, these sensors are geared towards shops. They may have a "different" type of relearn tool that shops have but don't know how different it could be from the regular one. Check if there is a tech contact line at the manufacturer for assistance.

oldog

Original poster
Oct 10, 2017
Richmond, VA
Thank you. I just got off the horn with the tech and they had a few suggestions.

1. Deflate tires all the way, and re inflate, then try.
2. Use the DIC buttons to enter relearn mode. (Already tried and can't do that)
3. Go to a shop that can use a more powerful scan tool to enter relearn mode via computer.

FYI

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online