Toyo Open Country H/T

tsmith1156

Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio
Alright so I'm in need of some new tires and I am looking the toyo open country H/t, I want a highway tire because 90% of my driving I highway so it'd be pointless to use up an all terrain tire very quickly. Does anyone have any opinions on these or any other options that'll be worth the money?

smt 59

Tokyo is a high quality tire, you will be happy with your choice. I have put them on my other two cars. My friend owns a tire shop and sells many brands but highly recommends Toyo.

Reactions: tsmith1156

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
I have and love them. Very quiet tires for highway and great in wet conditions. I bought a second set and had them installed last February. The previous set was basically new when I bought my Envoy XL and I lived up north, so I can say that the snow traction was very good, too.

Only issue I have is that the treadwear rating is 300, so they're only going to last about 25k-30k miles (in normal driving conditions). But if I keep my truck long enough, I will most certainly buy another set of Open Country tires when these wear out.

tsmith1156

Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio
Tokyo is a high quality tire, you will be happy with your choice. I have put them on my other two cars. My friend owns a tire shop and sells many brands but highly recommends Toyo.

I have and love them. Very quiet tires for highway and great in wet conditions. I bought a second set and had them installed last February. The previous set was basically new when I bought my Envoy XL and I lived up north, so I can say that the snow traction was very good, too.

Only issue I have is that the treadwear rating is 300, so they're only going to last about 25k-30k miles (in normal driving conditions). But if I keep my truck long enough, I will most certainly buy another set of Open Country tires when these wear out.

Right on, great in the snow and rain.

Thank you all for your responses, looks like I'll be buying them hopefully in the next couple weeks to beat the snow and ice of an Ohio winter!

cornchip

Jan 6, 2013
I just installed a new set of Toyo AT II's on my 2007 last week (P245/65R17). Before I had the original style AT's and enjoyed excellent winter and wet traction, but as others have said...short tread life. I changed them out at 40,000 miles and they had about 1/16 left to go before the wear bars. I'd go with something else if I did more highway. All in all...no complaints.

Edit...should have mentioned. The AT II's have a 50,000 mile tread wear warranty these days. I somehow have my doubts.

tsmith1156

Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio
I just installed a new set of Toyo AT II's on my 2007 last week (P245/65R17). Before I had the original style AT's and enjoyed excellent winter and wet traction, but as others have said...short tread life. I changed them out at 40,000 miles and they had about 1/16 left to go before the wear bars. I'd go with something else if I did more highway. All in all...no complaints.

Edit...should have mentioned. The AT II's have a 50,000 mile tread wear warranty these days. I somehow have my doubts.

What would you go with for highway driving and good in wet conditions?

cornchip

Jan 6, 2013
You did say you had winter driving to deal with in Ohio, but only want to run the one set year around. And, you want to get more mileage than I'll see with my Toyo's.

I'd still want a tire with a higher percentage of void in the tread for winter and rain. How about the Good Year All Terrain Adventure that's rated to 60k miles. I've had both Good Year AT and AT/S tires on a Jeep Cherokee...both went well past 50K...so I's imagine these would be comparable. So little choice with the Trailblazer and the 245's.

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/wrangler-all-terrain-adventure?cta=BBCardTireName

One tire if I could get it..is the Good Year Duratrac. Again...not a mileage tire. You must be seeing the pattern of my tire choices. Tire choice is about compromises.

tsmith1156

Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio
You did say you had winter driving to deal with in Ohio, but only want to run the one set year around. And, you want to get more mileage than I'll see with my Toyo's.

I'd still want a tire with a higher percentage of void in the tread for winter and rain. How about the Good Year All Terrain Adventure that's rated to 60k miles. I've had both Good Year AT and AT/S tires on a Jeep Cherokee...both went well past 50K...so I's imagine these would be comparable. So little choice with the Trailblazer and the 245's.

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/wrangler-all-terrain-adventure?cta=BBCardTireName

One tire if I could get it..is the Good Year Duratrac. Again...not a mileage tire. You must be seeing the pattern of my tire choices. Tire choice is about compromises.

Mine are the stock 235s, can I go up to the 245s?

dkvasnicka

Jul 24, 2015
Czech republic, Europe
Tried to do a bit of searching, just out of curiosity, and it seems like there is a big gaping hole on the US market when it comes to all-weather snowflake-rated highway SUV tires... Since you don't want regular AT tires you have pretty limited options if you want a single set and drive in snow :/

I recommend you take a look at Nokian all-weathers (WRG3, Rotiiva AT) and also the Toyo Celsius all-weather tire might be available for your truck, not sure. KO2s are overkill for you, Hankook Dynapro ATM too - but both have the snowflake symbol. GEOLANDAR A/T G015 and Discoverer A/TW are both snowflake-rated as well and seem to be a bit on the less agressive side of the AT spectrum (the same applies to the Rotiiva AT and AT Plus which really are great tires in snow from what I've read - I researched them but had to let them go because they don't - and won't - make them in 255/55/18).

dkvasnicka

Jul 24, 2015
Czech republic, Europe
Wow, looks like Vredestein also has a presence in the US. I know the name sounds "nonameish" but they've been doing all-weather tires for quite some time and their Quatrac 5 recently won a high-profile test in Germany, being a tire that you can run in summer but at the same time coming very close to dedicated Nokian winter tires in stopping distances on snow, which is quite something. They are doing a very broad range of dimensions, try to find out if you can get hold of them.
I recently opted for a different (slightly AT-biased) tire but had I been in the market for a purely highway tire these would be on my truck right now...

Last edited:

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
I run Toyo tires and like them a lot.
I have the Proxes st2 for summer and Open Country G02 snows for the winter.

Toyo are awesome tires!

Reactions: cornchip

smt 59

As mentioned previously Toyo are a great tire but if you are looking for a higher mileage tire then look at a Michelin touring tire, Goodyear has a real crappy ride and you will not be happy.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online