Towing with envoy denali

warriorpluto

Original poster
Apr 12, 2012
I'm planning g on going for an hour trip to go pick up a 90 Mustang gt. No engine nor transmission. I want to rent a dolly to do it. Would I be able to still use overdrive using a dolly?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Maybe. Try it and see. If it keeps hunting between 3 and 4, keep it in 3.

Reactions: MDBT

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Gear ratio would help. If by dolly you mean front wheels up and others down then probably. I tow the boat in town ~ 3500 lbs so it's probably comparable to that. Just take it easy and watch the temps.

Bow_Tied

Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
If this is a one time trip, why risk it For $20 in gas savings- just use 3rd gear. If you choose to try it, I agree with above - if it starts hunting much, drop out of OD.

If you are new to renting a dolly, double check the wheel straps after a few mins of driving, I find they sometimes loosen/settle. Good luck.

Reactions: MDBT and Mooseman

warriorpluto

Original poster
Apr 12, 2012
Ok thanks for the tips. Yes this is a one time only deal. I don't tow often. This will be my second time.

07Denali

Feb 28, 2013
Use Drive any time your pulling. I tow a travel trailer in D no problem helps to watch the temps.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
IIR the manual says to tow as you would normally drive, so OD should be fine, it will select the proper gear based on load input...Mike

Bow_Tied

Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
It does say that. Transmission experts I have spoke with, the guys that rebuild them, suggest that should more for light loads only. If there are any experts here that can refute that I'd love to hear corroboration of the manual.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Yeah, I would think that a Mustang with no drivetrain and on a dolly would be a pretty light load. I have towed a trailer with 3500 lbs of firewood with some of it pretty hilly with no ill effects...Mike.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online